P3 travel question for flights

Reaction score
Lipo batteries are supposed to be carried on, but I already have a carry-on bag (cameras gear) and need to check my P3 in its case ... which includes the remote, which has a Lipo. Anyone have any experience/knowledge in this area.

P3 arrived today and have only flown it once so far, but omg is it amazing.

The TSA dictates the rules for carry on vs checked luggage in U.S. They clearly state you must carry on batteries (lipo, lithium ion, etc). As such, you're risking yourself to check it. Too bad the RC battery is not removable...

The TSA dictates the rules for carry on vs checked luggage in U.S. They clearly state you must carry on batteries (lipo, lithium ion, etc). As such, you're risking yourself to check it. Too bad the RC battery is not removable...
Yeah too bad, never thought of that. My Yuneec Q500+ has a removable LiPo in the controller. Now I know why.

Actually, on further research, the TSA reg allowing lipos only in carry-on refers specifically to "spare" batteries.

Prohibited Batteries:
  • Car batteries, wet batteries, or spillable batteries are prohibited from both carry-on and checked baggage unless they are being used to power a scooter or wheelchair. If you need to pack a spare battery for a scooter or wheelchair, you must advise the aircraft operator so that the battery can be properly packaged for air travel.
  • Spare lithium batteries (both lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer) are prohibited in checked baggage.
More ...

Batteries Allowed in Checked Bags:

• Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage; however, we recommend that you pack them in your carry-on bag whenever possible. In the cabin, airline flight crews can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/06/travel-tips-tuesday-safely-packing.html

Thanks, JohnK. I've been carrying my batteries and RC units in my carry on bag which leaves little room for clothes. But it's safer this way and who needs spare clothes until you land, right? It does become a pain when i have the inspire and phantom on flights with multiple batteries, rc units and chargers, but it's a small price to pay for safety.

@JohnK I have been checking my phantom with the RC in the checked luggage with no problems. I take all my flight batteries with me in carry-on.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj