P3 Std. Can Prop Guards Cause Drift?

Reaction score
Just added prop gaurds, 1st flight it was drifting and not staying in place as it had my 1st 6 or so flights. ??

They will catch wind, yes. But if your GPS lock is working correctly, the craft will fight to stay in place.

Yes - they will make your Phantom drift like crazy, or will at least make your drone fly tilted sideways to remain stationary, with the prop guards clearly visible in the picture. I almost lost my drone during my third flight due to those darn guards. Don't use them if you are flying outdoors in anything but really calm conditions.

//Tom

Last edited:
I used to fly mine all the time. No issues drifting and no issues flying. And I have flown in some strong winds.
If your getting them in the video then you need to tilt your camera down a little more until they are out of the picture. Its not an issue as long as you are set up properly. They saved me once when I clipped a bush. My bird flipped and landed on my driveway. Lost the props is all. The guards saved my birds arms from scratches.

I'm just giving my experience with flying with them and I have probably flown over 50 flights with them when I first got my bird.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Haha! One question. Three completely different answers.

A classic thread! I love it!
Yep, different experiences. I had fllown my P3A ore than five hours without issues before getting the original DJI prop guards (for indoors flying).

Outdoors I immediately noticed the difference: the Phantom was really struggling and tilting into the wind. At one time I had such a hard time flying it back home in a moderate breeze, that I actually thought that I would lose it it. I removed the guards and everything was back to normal again. I would never use them again. YMMW.

// Tom

They will catch wind, yes. But if your GPS lock is working correctly, the craft will fight to stay in place.
Yes, The craft should stay in place, I was seeing some shaking in my videos, did a IMU and a gimbal calibration, have noticed it since.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31