P3 standard, what happens at 500 meters

Reaction score
as above so you have done all ground checks compass align and set home point, you have a full charge and using DJI GO app
i have never maxed out the range but would like to, if i do this what do i expect to happen, will it go into failsafe RTH or just hit the geo fence and stop, bearing in mind i wont have a visual on it at this range

400ft AGL is the FAA Guideline for hobby/recreation flyers, 500 meters above take-off point is the DJI limited altitude (by firmware), 6000 meters is the spec-ed maximum operational altitude (air density).

Reactions: jeganx and hexagon
I did not mean altitude i was on about range as in distance from home point, the P3 standard is said to have a range of 500 m

Ah, in that case it will come down to radio conditions at your flying location.
I currently don't fly BLOS so others will have to chime in about that.

Ok.... It will go til... Rc is lost and then wii trigger RH
Just be careful if you have selected failsafe rh

You can set a distance limit but if its off its not just going to stop at 500m and rth..some will go farther or less depending on where you fly (residential, congested area, lots of tall trees all play a huge part in range) just make sure your settings in the go app are set to RTH... then when you lose control (5.8 side) it will RTH.. if you set a distance limit and reach that limit it will stop..if you still have control you will have to turn around and fly back or manually RTH. Ive tried a distance limit for my son and it just stayed there when the limit was reached. Just be sure your settings in the app are good...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using PhantomPilots mobile app

yip tried this today maxed out arround 500 meters it said warning compas error and it drifted 100 meters further and about 600 meters RTH kicked in ... pfff that was some adrenaline rush... im never doing that again i thought i lost my bird... im setting max distance at 300 meter i still wonna see my bird. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: jointeffort
Compass error has nothing to do with distance....
Did you calibrate the compass?
Did you fly close to that power lines?

This is all confusing the cr@p out of me (I'm old and half senile.). 1 - What am I supposed to do if I lose sight of my P3S and think it's going bye-bye? 2 - Flip the left switch a few times? 3 - Turn the controller off? 4 - What's the difference between RTH and Fail-Safe RTH? 5 - Do I activate Fail-Safe RTH, or is it automatic? 6 - If I have to do it, how? Thanks in advance for helping an old f@rt.

Compass error has nothing to do with distance....
Did you calibrate the compass?
Did you fly close to that power lines?
yes i calabrated the compas before every flight and battery change....
At the moment that you can see the powerlines it gave a warning compas error an arround that moment i lost wifi control as you can see i still had radio control over the craft But i did knot know that because could see fpv anymore then and i let go whit the sticks. know that i see the video i see it drifted about 50 tot 100 meters furter just on his own i wus looking at my flight record control sticks i wuz not moving the sticks and stil it drifted further and about 600 meters RTH failsafe kicked in. pffff im never doing this again.

This is all confusing the cr@p out of me (I'm old and half senile.). 1 - What am I supposed to do if I lose sight of my P3S and think it's going bye-bye? 2 - Flip the left switch a few times? 3 - Turn the controller off? 4 - What's the difference between RTH and Fail-Safe RTH? 5 - Do I activate Fail-Safe RTH, or is it automatic? 6 - If I have to do it, how? Thanks in advance for helping an old f@rt.
well thats the thing you will have to rely on the RTH and hope it kicks in and does his job in the app if you still have fpv you can call RTH yourself if its out of range then its fingers crossed hoping. allways check youre RTH altitude i have put mine to 40 meters sometimes 50 meters because there are some big tall trees here in the Netherlands.

well thats the thing you will have to rely on the RTH and hope it kicks in and does his job in the app if you still have fpv you can call RTH yourself if its out of range then its fingers crossed hoping. allways check youre RTH altitude i have put mine to 40 meters sometimes 50 meters because there are some big tall trees here in the Netherlands.
How can it drift? Shouldnt GPS keep it on position, or was it in ATTI mode? I can understand the problem when you loose video/telemetry but still have control, in that case RTH wont kick in, but you can force it to return home when you flip the S2 a few times.

Hey young man, Welcome to the forum!
Yes a lot to learn, here is some links for you, just pay attention to my posts, because I'm always right.:rolleyes:

Best Method to RTH?
Need help!!!

Lost signal (but not really)
Question about Radio, uplink, downlink, frequency, & telemetry

If you want more stuff,

Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

IMU Calibration

Oh, and if you haven't been here, check this out.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Most important have your RTH return altitude above any obstacles, its displayed as METERS.
61 meters = 200'

If you got more, so do I.

Rod :D

Rod

Last edited:
Hey young man, Welcome to the forum!
Yes a lot to learn, here is some links for you, just pay attention to my posts, because I'm always right.:rolleyes:

Best Method to RTH?
Need help!!!

Lost signal (but not really)
Question about Radio, uplink, downlink, frequency, & telemetry

If you want more stuff,

Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

IMU Calibration

Oh, and if you haven't been here, check this out.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Most important have your RTH return altitude above any obstacles, its displayed as METERS.
61 meters = 200'

If you got more, so do I.

Rod :D

Rod

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have some reading to do!

It's hard but ultimately you have to trust the technology. Had my first fly away recently. Battery died and it auto landed. Couldn't rth due to strong winds. The tech worked and I still have my drone.
16e68a5eea9eaa69f69ee4907902f48c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Check this range test out, it shows you exactly what happens... fly against the wind so ur bird requires less battery to return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1