P3 Standard Range Issue

Reaction score
i just received my P3 Standard this weekend. I performed the upgrade and it flies very well. The video is a little choppy at times, but my biggest issue is that this model is advertised to be able to travel a little over 3,200 feet in distance. I am not able to get it past 1,200 feet without receiving an "RC Signal Lost" error on the screen. Is there anything I should look for or a setting that I need to change? Or does this need looked at or called into DJI?

Check that your remote controller antenna is positioned correctly. The flat side of the antenna should be pointing at your Phantom at all times.

I believe I'm already doing that. I keep that antenna at a 45 degree angle and keep it pointing towards the direction of the phantom. It just seems that it's losing signal every time between 1,000 - 1,200 feet.

45Degree horizontally or vertically?

Should be horizontally I think. At least for me it works better.

Also if you have trees or buildings blocking line of sight, that's the reason.

You're lucky mine goes less than 400 feet and does the same thing. I took it to RC depot and let them fly it and try their tricks nothing helps they said I had to call DJI.

You're lucky mine goes less than 400 feet and does the same thing. I took it to RC depot and let them fly it and try their tricks nothing helps they said I had to call DJI.
Bill, if the vendor has tried it and they had the same issue I believe you will need to send it on in. :(

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi All
New to this forum, and new to the P3 Standard (Had the machine for almost 24 hours now) I seem to be losing connection with the machine at a range of around 20m? Ids this normal? It activates RTH, and is extremely frustrating!!!! What kind of range should I expect in real life, and not what the manual suggests?

I know..... Bitterly Disappointing.... still trying to figure out how to extract the flight logs and stuff, but having flown for a total of 'bout 45 min in the first day of having the thing, I have spent probably 90% of the time watching the RTH feature.... :(

Mike welcome to the forum . You should read some in this section about the distance issues on this and not get
disappointed to quick . There's a lot more than just getting it and learning how to get any range after 24 hr's .
You leave out a lot of info like if your in CE or FCC and just about everything to try and help you .
It will go way farther stock than most think with your settings correct and pointing your antenna correctly .
Don't give up just yet ! :)
A little more info on just what you have done and how you have your settings . You are out of beginners mode right ?

Reactions: Clampit
Mike welcome to the forum . You should read some in this section about the distance issues on this and not get
disappointed to quick . There's a lot more than just getting it and learning how to get any range after 24 hr's .
You leave out a lot of info like if your in CE or FCC and just about everything to try and help you .
It will go way farther stock than most think with your settings correct and pointing your antenna correctly .
Don't give up just yet ! :)
A little more info on just what you have done and how you have your settings . You are out of beginners mode right ?
Hey Dirk - thanks for the words of encouragement.....
The CE and FCC you mention - not quite sure what they mean..... The switches on the controller are both set to the upright position, and yea, I'm out of beginners mode..... Haven't given up just yet, just overwhelmed by the technology.... :)

Hey Dirk - thanks for the words of encouragement.....
The CE and FCC you mention - not quite sure what they mean..... The switches on the controller are both set to the upright position, and yea, I'm out of beginners mode..... Haven't given up just yet, just overwhelmed by the technology.... :)
I understand that I am too !!! Where you at . What part of the world .

It's in my signature Mike . I wasn't being nosey it just would tell me what you were in .
To start with have you downloaded the manual and read it ? Are you using IOS device or android ?
If IOS read this HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI Pilot app performance | DJI Phantom Forum if not look towards the bottom at the Go settings and see if your close to those .
Good luck :)
Ooooops.... I see it now.... Sorry, Blonde moment... :) Confession time? I haven't downloaded the manual - I guess I will do it now.... Using an I-fone 6 with 9.1 firmware... i'll check out the link, thanx for posting.... Once again, apologies - Really New User....

Ooooops.... I see it now.... Sorry, Blonde moment... :) Confession time? I haven't downloaded the manual - I guess I will do it now.... Using an I-fone 6 with 9.1 firmware... i'll check out the link, thanx for posting.... Once again, apologies - Really New User....
No worries Mike..You do need to read that and that link goes to where I got 6600' using them . Don't know if that's what got me that or was just one of them moments but lets just hope you have a setting issue before we trouble shoot your TX or have to return it . Have been seeing some of that lately .

i just received my P3 Standard this weekend. I performed the upgrade and it flies very well. The video is a little choppy at times, but my biggest issue is that this model is advertised to be able to travel a little over 3,200 feet in distance. I am not able to get it past 1,200 feet without receiving an "RC Signal Lost" error on the screen. Is there anything I should look for or a setting that I need to change? Or does this need looked at or called into DJI?
I had the EXACT same issue with my phantom 3 standard when I got it last month. Had the same issues with poor range and connection issues. Every time I flew it, i woild get a "weak signal" warning or a "lost signal" around 50-100 feet away from my in any direction. When I say I tried everything I could in hopes of solving the issue, literally I mean everything. I even took it to my local Dji retailer/tech support office and even their staff couldn't figure out. Dji's customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE! Almost impossible getting someone to reply back to any emails I sent requesting ( over a month till I was able to talk to someone in person )to return the drone. Long story short, i ended up having to mail the drone back to one of their HQ. I couldn't even return it for a refund or exchange/upgrade because by the time I got any reply with help or support, it was already past their 14 day return or exchange policy.. Absolute worse customer service I have ever experienced.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub