P3 Standard latest firmware

Reaction score
New to the sport, so please bear with me. I just had my first couple flights with the P3 Standard, and had done a firmware update in between. After the update, I flew about 200m away, and I started to receive disconnected messages, or the drone was out of range. I looked up the firmware and it's 1.8.10. App version is 3.1.2. Aircraft status is normal, so should I assume I have the latest firmware? It's not asking me to update. Is there a newer version, and if so, can I "force" an update? Thanks.

Try flying in another area as you may have either electrical inteference or physical obstructions. The wifi on the standard needs a quiet area to fly. As for any future updates, the app will prompt you, no need to if the drone is flying ok. Practice with what you've got before upgrading etc.

He should be able to get more than 200 feet though I'm having the same problem except I'm getting 400 to 500 feet

He should be able to get more than 200 feet though I'm having the same problem except I'm getting 400 to 500 feet
It's all about the area where you fly, took me a while to find suitable spots to fly and be competent with my antenna orientation. I used a simple windsurfer and routinely flew 500 mtrs around the lake where I live with with few issues. My record was 1600 mtrs flying from a jungle location but that's another story...

Yes I understand your surroundings make a difference, the drone I'm talking about is my friends P3S we picked up about a week ago, I can fly my P3S from the same spot and don't run into problems until about 1500 feet. My longest from that spot is 2000 feet.

FYI:
untitled-png.73853

It's all about the area where you fly, took me a while to find suitable spots to fly and be competent with my antenna orientation. I used a simple windsurfer and routinely flew 500 mtrs around the lake where I live with with few issues. My record was 1600 mtrs flying from a jungle location but that's another story...
I used to say the very same thing until I started purchasing more P3S from the DJI Store. Then I learned there are often a huge difference between units. Some have great range and some doesn't. Some have good gimbals and some don't. Some have choppy videos and some...

I used to say the very same thing until I started purchasing more P3S from the DJI Store. Then I learned there are often a huge difference between units. Some have great range and some doesn't. Some have good gimbals and some don't. Some have choppy videos and some...
And we all have the inalienable right to return defective goods as we see fit.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I was flying in my neighborhood, so I can see where the interference could be a factor. Skyzthelimit, I am getting about 200M, or 600 feet, so similar to your situation.

I am having some of the same range problems suddenly. I've been flying the P3S for weeks and I have had no trouble getting a thousand feet of range, but in the last few days (which included firmware update 1.8.10), I have absolutely atrocious range, flying in exactly the same area. I can duplicate the problem just by hovering about 250 ft away, at 200 ft altitude, with very clear line of sight. I'll have 4 bars one instant and then two bars or even one tiny red bar a few seconds later, lots of Weak Signal messages. It jumps around, and if I point the RC away, it will disconnect with Signal Lost message and RTH. I don't see anything unusual with the WiFi Analyzer. Everything works great when I get within 50 feet. Everything solid as rock on the ground.

It could be a lot of things, and I'm not ready to blame it on the firmware just yet. More tests needed.

Yes, but DJI charges you for the right.
Unless you bought it from somewhere else. I bought a P3S right after Christmas from BestBuy. I flew it once and the gimbal motor failed right after takeoff. The camera just hung down with no gimbal control. I took it back to BestBuy that day and they swapped it for another unit.

My problem is latest 1.8.10 FW has locked out Icarus and magic Power on the RC ... AC seems to update OK with Icarus and Magic Power ... but I get connection refused to RC on both ...

Waiting reply from Icarus which is my personal preference.

Nigel

My problem is latest 1.8.10 FW has locked out Icarus and magic Power on the RC ... AC seems to update OK with Icarus and Magic Power ... but I get connection refused to RC on both ...

Waiting reply from Icarus which is my personal preference.

Nigel
I do wonder what the Dji attitude is to third party apps, is the firmware open sourced to allow/encourage these apps?
My only real world photography example would be Canon, 3rd party lens makers can buy a licence to have access to full Canons chip design. One company, Sigma did not, every so often Canon change the specs and it renders some previous Sigma lenses useless on newer cameras. Sigma then have rechip those lenses or discontinue support for them.
So maybe Dji deliberately mess up 3rd party apps?

Yes, but DJI charges you for the right.
Most companies charge you if you bought at a distance, it just is accepted practice. I can think of very few manufacturers and some retailers that offer free returns or reimbursement of postage. Shops on the other hand let you trot in to exchange or return goods, but you still used petrol or bus fare etc to get there.

The Returns saga ..... this is where many get wrong idea ...

Your first port of call to complain is the Dealer who sold to you. HE is responsible based on "Sale of Goods" . Your next port of call based on "Fit for Purpose" is the Manufacturer or Brand Label Owner.

Sale of Goods often has a strict time line and once expired - you are then via the Dealer.... note VIA THE DEALER to expect coverage under Fit for Purpose by Brand Label .... this often means you covering shipping costs.

Sad but true. Even Credit Card claims cannot always get Shipping costs recovered.

The problem is that buying and selling has become a distance market and this hits the buyer hard at times. No longer the friendly all knowing shop-keeper who wants to keep your custom. Most shops are now under so much pressure from online sellers - they have lost that edge. They struggle to compete. Its only the large volume sellers that can be easier in returns.

Nigel

OK Icarus and MP both replied quickly and with effective answers.

BOTH required revert all back to stock and reboot to clean installs.

I then installed MP 5.3 ... all went well. Reverted back to stock.

Then installed Icarus .... all went well.

As Icarus said - 1.8.10 is actually no different to 1.7.9 when it comes to the software.

Now I'm happy again !!

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik