P3 Standard distance

Reaction score
Hi all

Quick question...how far should I be getting on the standard in distance (feet)? Im talking straight out the box...no antenna mods......nothing.

I see videos where people are flying them over streets and getting great distance video...i think most ive had mine is about 300 feet away from where I stand before losing video signal to the app, is that normal?

Thanks !

Doyle

5ca45a9d8aafcf916a369181751477b3.jpg

1.44 miles this afternoon. Bone stock.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well Doyleat5, it really depends on where you fly. Screenshot? Even in an urban area though you should get 1500ft or so provided you have Line of Sight.

Antenna position, location interference and LOS signal i.e. trees can mean the difference between me getting 40 metres away and losing signal and pushing my Standard out to 960 metres (not a range test just the furtherest it's been).
Easiest way to test your range is over water if you're comfortable with it. No obstructions or interference and potentially a stronger signal being reflected off the waves. Or even just along a coastline if you have one handy.

Reactions: GodFear17
I got 1600 meters the other day at the beach. I didn't wait for rth. Turned it around when video started chopping. And I thought that was far.

I took mine out to 1500 ft and lost RC signal - video was fine. The RC signal quality showed 4/5 bars up until hat point, so i wonder if maybe it was just a fluke. I need to try it again. I've read about people with snapped antenna wires, so if anyone is only getting 2-300 feet then I think that's worth checking out.

Hi all

Quick question...how far should I be getting on the standard in distance (feet)? Im talking straight out the box...no antenna mods......nothing.

Doyle

I have a p3s and have tried it in many areas

In a neighborhood its gonna be short maybe 1000 feet ish depending on how much wifi in the area going higher seems to help by that I mean 350-400 feet

Out in the open 3280 feet or 1000 meters is what it will do no doubt. It'll do this anywhere the interference is mildly low. And if you can find some really interference free air 1.2km 4000 foot is easily possible as that's as far as I've tested but I think 1.5km is easily doable in a good clear area.

What is around you seems to matter a lot. Get your controller away from power lines or metal and it will help in neighborhoods

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Farthest I've gotten is 1574', but all flights have been in a city.

Someone please explain the los line of sight to me. I mean if I'm I the city of course I can't see it with my eyes after 600 ft. Houses and tress and buildings in the way. So if I take it up say 350ft in the city. Can I test it on distance? I know I can't see it or does this line of site means over everything. Please help me understand.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have always taken it to mean an unobstructed line from your eyes to the craft. So...if a building or tree is in the way, you lose LOS (line of sight)-if only temporarily. Flying behind/staying behind a building using FP only is not flying LOS. Of course, if you gain altitude above it, you'd be flying LOS again.

Now, visual LOS (VLOS) is being to SEE the craft as well-but once you are about .5 miles out, forget that unless you have a spotter with binoculars.

If the FAA wants to police VISUAL LOS rules, good luck...no one would ever need any kind of decent range, ever.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj