P3 Standard Compass Errors

Reaction score
Has anyone had major issues with their compass making the quad act so erratic? I took off yesterday, everything was good, 10 sats, all good on startup, home point recognized, everything. Went about a foot in the air, quad took over, I had zero control and decided it wanted to make friends with the nearest tree. Of course the tree became the master. After I was able to get the motors stopped (that should be another post on how, I had no idea cause putting the left stick all the way down didn't do a thing). Anyway, based on all of the you tube vids, I'm ordering a new one. If you have had this same issue, and replaced the compass, I would like to hear back. I cant think of anything else. BTW, also checked the IMU after crash and it was still fine. Thanks guys!

I'm getting the infamous "compass stuck" error at the moment. I just contacted DJI Support. I got the drone for christmas, and have baby'd it to no end. Not sure much as a rough landing. I'm hoping for the best.

Have you tried recalibrating the compass in a open field? Sounds to me like a bad calibration or something you were flying around messed with the compass.

Have you tried recalibrating the compass in a open field? Sounds to me like a bad calibration or something you were flying around messed with the compass.

I've tried both compass and IMU calibration. It's intermittent, but after reading the author's posts, it makes me nervous to continue flying with this condition. Do not want my drone to go rogue. As an aside, when I get the error to clear, I've not had it act erratically in the air. Conversing with DJI Support now. Keep you updated.

I recalibrate wherever and whenever I go. This happened on an open beach on a great lake in the US, nothing around. I actually took off at a hotel where I'm staying and could not even hover a foot off of the ground. Already ordered a new OEM compass to install

It isn't recommended to calibrate the compass often. Once set in an interference free environment, you're usually good where ever you are. Recalibrating unneccesarily could have you think you have good calibration but actually thrown off due to biased calibration environment.

Reactions: 805hd
Has anyone had major issues with their compass making the quad act so erratic? I took off yesterday, everything was good, 10 sats, all good on startup, home point recognized, everything. Went about a foot in the air, quad took over, I had zero control and decided it wanted to make friends with the nearest tree. Of course the tree became the master. After I was able to get the motors stopped (that should be another post on how, I had no idea cause putting the left stick all the way down didn't do a thing). Anyway, based on all of the you tube vids, I'm ordering a new one. If you have had this same issue, and replaced the compass, I would like to hear back. I cant think of anything else. BTW, also checked the IMU after crash and it was still fine. Thanks guys!
That sounds like a classic case of either a bad compass calibration (one done close to a lot of steel) or what can happen if you launch from steel or reinforced concrete.
You say that you recalibrate wherever and whenever I go. (completely unnecessary and risky)
The first things that should be looked at is where you recalibrated and where you launched from.

Launched from a beach and didn't calibrate because the app said normal. Nothing of metal anywhere close to me so that's not it.

Launched from a beach and didn't calibrate because the app said normal. Nothing of metal anywhere close to me so that's not it.

I was on the same road you are a while back with compass issues. By recalibrating every time I was getting everything from really good to really bad calibrations which was really frustrating. The key is to get a good one and just leave it alone unless prompted to calibrate by the app or seeing obvious signs of compass issues like you are experiencing.

I know for a fact there are guys on here with hundreds of flights from hundreds of locations on 1 compass calibration with zero issues.

My recommendation to you before you start pulling your hair out is go to a large open field, dirt or grass and recalibrate. Make sure you are away from ANY and All metal including your keys and cellphone.

There is a DJI how to video on compass calibration on YouTube somewhere. Watch it. Even if you already know this stuff, sometimes it's good to take it back to basics.

Replacing the compass is not that hard to do. I've done it. But first make sure you actually need to open up you phantom.

Worked for me.

I've tried both compass and IMU calibration. It's intermittent, but after reading the author's posts, it makes me nervous to continue flying with this condition. Do not want my drone to go rogue. As an aside, when I get the error to clear, I've not had it act erratically in the air. Conversing with DJI Support now. Keep you updated.

You know, I have seen this error a few times. It never caused any issues. I used to see it a lot more when I first started flying. I was just thinking about it and feel like it could of been caused by me not doing the stick movement (both sticks down and in) to start the motors fast enough. Or perhaps not in sync enough.

This movement has become more fluid and muscle memory for me and I haven't seen that error in a long time. I could be wrong but wanted to share. Worth keeping in mind.

Thanks 805hd for the words. I did just that. The bird hovered nicely using both DJI App and also the Litchi App I guess since I take my quad all over the country (I fly weekly for my job) I thought that it was best to calibrate every time I fly since I'm in a different location. Never ever heard of over calibrating. Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks 805hd for the words. I did just that. The bird hovered nicely using both DJI App and also the Litchi App I guess since I take my quad all over the country (I fly weekly for my job) I thought that it was best to calibrate every time I fly since I'm in a different location. Never ever heard of over calibrating. Anyway, thanks again.

Awesome! Glad I could help. Happy flying!

Sand can contain ferrous rock granules so it is possible to get compass errors on the beach. If error goes away a couple feet above the sand, there's your issue.

I have 2 P3S. #1 gives me the error, something like "strong magnetic interference....blah blah" every time, no matter where I am, and #2 gives me no errors, yet they both work like they should. #1 is a bit touchier, but works okay.

Good advice on the keys, cell phone, etc. I have four batteries. The last one, a proper DJI, wasn't recognized for a while, but it finally joined and now is one of the gang.

I am only a beginner, but I can see that people overthink some of this stuff. The first two or three times I went out, I religiously calibrated the compass. Not now, screw the props on and gentlemen, start your engines! I did put a sticky note on each drone to "Remove gimbal lock" though.

Love those drones. Lots of fun. Am busy helping on a big grain farm right now, but I look forward to flying in some decently warm weather.

I have 2 P3S. #1 gives me the error, something like "strong magnetic interference....blah blah" every time, no matter where I am, and #2 gives me no errors, yet they both work like they should. #1 is a bit touchier, but works okay.

Good advice on the keys, cell phone, etc. I have four batteries. The last one, a proper DJI, wasn't recognized for a while, but it finally joined and now is one of the gang.

I am only a beginner, but I can see that people overthink some of this stuff. The first two or three times I went out, I religiously calibrated the compass. Not now, screw the props on and gentlemen, start your engines! I did put a sticky note on each drone to "Remove gimbal lock" though.

Love those drones. Lots of fun. Am busy helping on a big grain farm right now, but I look forward to flying in some decently warm weather.

Check this out. ;)
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj