P3 shell from Advexure

OP, can you please share what's the best method of opening the 8 clips to separate the shell halves. Many thanks. Very helpful post btw.

OP, can you please share what's the best method of opening the 8 clips to separate the shell halves. Many thanks. Very helpful post btw.
Yes, I think the best video already out there is by Simon Newton on YouTube, basically involves using a kitchen knife!!. Unless you have fingers made of steel, his way is pretty good, that's how I did mine.

Are the replacement shells the same as the original ones or are they more durable. Looks like a lot of work if it's just going to crack again.

Yes, I think the best video already out there is by Simon Newton on YouTube, basically involves using a kitchen knife!!. Unless you have fingers made of steel, his way is pretty good, that's how I did mine.
I should add that it's best to leave to last the clips where the battery door is. You have to use a bit of force, but not excessive force, to separate the top from bottom shells. I also used a couple of pencils/pens to hold open the two halves.

Are the replacement shells the same as the original ones or are they more durable. Looks like a lot of work if it's just going to crack again.
I would assume so, there were manufacturing and/or assembly defects or DJI would not be replacing if the problem remained. There would be not reason to further exacerbate the issue by sending out the same shell to replace the defective one. The forum traffic is way down on this issue, so the later manufacturing runs must have resolved the cracking.

Reactions: videcom
I got my old (and the new) shell apart by using a plastic "spudder" starting at the motor end and working inward. As soon as I got the end separated, I would place a round stick pen in between to hold it apart and to put a little pressure as i worked on the next clip. I did this to all 4 arms and would split the same distance on each arm before moving in further. It is just a matter of a little pressure and then pressing inward on the bottom shell to disengage the clip. It's a hassle and a little scary as you are normally fearful of breaking the shell.

Yep, I finally got it apart without breaking anything and have started putting the parts back together. I should have planned better and made notes of which screws came from where. That's going to be fun.

Anyway, I should have it finished sometime tomorrow afternoon (I'm taking my time so I don't screw up - knock on wood).

I haven't had to replace the shell...and I pray I never have to...but, for those who need to, I believe I have the perfect tools for separating the top & bottom halves. Get yourself some car stereo tools...the same plastic tools that car stereo installers use for removing dash pieces, inside door panels, etc. Being plastic, they won't scratch the shell like a (kitchen) knife would, but, at the same time, the plastic the tools are made of is also hard enough that it can bend slightly, but not so much as to break.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1