P3 sends data to FAA?

I have the belief that if Anyone was actually using any information, it would more then likely be the Chinese. They make the system as well as the software that is used to video and photograph pretty much EVERYTHING(minus airports). People talk about filming power plants, dams, while on deployments, and everything in between. Any smart country would view all those pictures and videos as being great pieces of information. Thats my addition to the conspiracy. If I go quiet in the next few days...Rise up the quads and avenge me. LOL

Anybody can see what they want with google maps anyway.

Hi, I have read the manual and no there is no area that makes mention of the FAA and your Phantom 3 flight logs. Your friends are just paranoid and possibly just F'ing with you. And the FAA has no legal authority to tell you what you can and can not do with your quad in the USA as of this time. That doesn't mean they still can't try to harass you causing you both time and money.

It's also worth noting that there would be legal issues with respect to DJI collecting any personal flight logs from your Phantom without your express permission. And if they did so they would still not have the right to disclose that information without a subpena vs just randomly giving the info to any governing body automatically as is claimed.

Legalities aside here are some steps you can take if you are concerned about something dubious taking place.

Flight logs are stored locally within the internal memory of the Phantom 3. You have the ability within the DJI Pilot app to erase those logs from the Phantom 3

Lets say the Pilot app has the ability to automatically transfer Phantom 3 pilot logs to their server. The Pilot app can not do that without being connected to the internet. Delete your logs off your Phantom on a regular basis before you connect your tablet to the internet if you're paranoid they may magically get uploaded to DJIs servers somehow.

If you want to be super extra careful that no undisclosed transferring of flight logs are taking place you can take it a step further by completely deleting the DJI app before connecting your tablet to the internet. Assuming the uninstall process doesn't selectively leave files behind, such as discretely transferred logs from your Phantom to your tablet, then you should be fine. If it does leave files behind there are ways to clean that off too.

In Summary, I wouldn't worry about this whole thing. I think this whole DJI FAA log transfer is a conspiracy, rumor, BS and just that. But if you are concerned it is more and want to be safe then doing the above should sort you.

Ben, I hate to rain on your parade. But I have keep quite a long time on this subject. Why? I really don't know. But your sync'd flight logs are accessible online. The logs even show the street name, city, house address, and I forget what else. I'm sure all files are uploaded whether they're sync'd or not.

So it all has to begin with something and the 1st thing that rattled me when I 1st discovered this was that my files were unknowingly accessible online. All I need is your SkyPixel.com login info to access it. The point is, it is upsetting we've never been told about it. It might be better if someone dug into it to see what all is taking place before any whistle blowing was to take place. I may clean this up after a short time? Also this can show you that you don't always know everything that goes on. That is not a directed statement, btw.

When we 1st got the P3 and had to have wifi access before the quad would even start told me there is going to be more to this then most may realize.

So overall I have a mixed opinion about this subject. I don't like not knowing everything that goes on with my equipment. Now on the otherside of this I have a theory that to appease the faa there was a safety feature wrote in the firmware on the newer products that alerts whatever should there be a drone flown somewhere it shouldn't be, by terrorist mostly.

Ah................ the tired old liberal routine of silencing any dissent with claims that they're "crazy". Straight out of the Alinsky playbook. Saul would be so proud.

c'mon it's like Hillary said: "a vast right wing conspiracy".

Someone please hold the door open for the Alex Jones crowd to get back to their forum and let's get back to Phantoms.

Ben, I hate to rain on your parade. But I have keep quite a long time on this subject. Why? I really don't know. But your sync'd flight logs are accessible online. The logs even show the street name, city, house address, and I forget what else. I'm sure all files are uploaded whether they're sync'd or not.

So it all has to begin with something and the 1st thing that rattled me when I 1st discovered this was that my files were unknowingly accessible online. All I need is your SkyPixel.com login info to access it. The point is, it is upsetting we've never been told about it. It might be better if someone dug into it to see what all is taking place before any whistle blowing was to take place. I may clean this up after a short time? Also this can show you that you don't always know everything that goes on. That is not a directed statement, btw.

When we 1st got the P3 and had to have wifi access before the quad would even start told me there is going to be more to this then most may realize.

So overall I have a mixed opinion about this subject. I don't like not knowing everything that goes on with my equipment. Now on the otherside of this I have a theory that to appease the faa there was a safety feature wrote in the firmware on the newer products that alerts whatever should there be a drone flown somewhere it shouldn't be, by terrorist mostly.

Hi, you're right and wrong. Yes you have to be on an internet connection at first when setting up the DJI Pilot app and forcefully registering your Phantom 3 to your account. You and I both knew something was up with that. But if you do not have your tablet connected to the Internet from that point forward, then there will be no logs appearing online. How do you think they get online? They don't appear by magic. You have to have your Phantom connected to a device with internet access to synch that data online. So for those paranoid about being tracked, they can't be if they never connect the Phantom 3 to tablet or PC that will be connected to the internet. And as I mentioned in my prior post, flight logs can be erased from the Phantom 3 through the mobile app. So if said logs have not been synched yet via the internet, you erase them, then later connect to the internet then once again you're fine. Unless it doesn't really erase the logs that have yet to be synched with the internet, only it tells you it does. In which case just go the never connect to the internet again route.

You guys sure are making this seem like a big deal. Now you've all got me paranoid about using my Internet connected tablet to fly my P3.

Hi, you're right and wrong. Yes you have to be on an internet connection at first when setting up the DJI Pilot app and forcefully registering your Phantom 3 to your account. You and I both knew something was up with that. But if you do not have your tablet connected to the Internet from that point forward, then there will be no logs appearing online. How do you think they get online? They don't appear by magic. You have to have your Phantom connected to a device with internet access to synch that data online. So for those paranoid about being tracked, they can't be if they never connect the Phantom 3 to tablet or PC that will be connected to the internet. And as I mentioned in my prior post, flight logs can be erased from the Phantom 3 through the mobile app. So if said logs have not been synched yet via the internet, you erase them, then later connect to the internet then once again you're fine. Unless it doesn't really erase the logs that have yet to be synched with the internet, only it tells you it does. In which case just go the never connect to the internet again route.

I don't think you are paying attention to the facts. To begin with you yourself was reassuring others not to worry about anything and what they had heard was not going on. I then see this topic after some 5 pages of post and let you know there in deed was stuff going on. It's not that it is "only this" or "only that" but the fact that it is going on regardless the level of activity. I personally have no idea what all is exactly taking place, but I do know something in fact does go on. And it has been going on without it being shared. It would be nice to know everything there is to know about anything you own. If you think about it, why not let people know they can use their login info access the flight log files online? What would be the point in keeping that info a secret? Most likely it's because there is more to it then just saving the quads files on a cloud.

Btw, is it not possible to see what is being uploaded from your wifi device to the internet, and to where it is being sent to?

If the FAA have any issues with the P3 heigh or the video data !! why they let DJI made it or sale it ?!?!?????

if it helps the government catch one bad guy, please have access to my flight records, my cell phone records, etc.

if it helps the government catch one bad guy, please have access to my flight records, my cell phone records, etc.
And you will register your handguns, too? After all, you have nothing to hide.

And you will register your handguns, too? After all, you have nothing to hide.

I have a concealed handgun permit and i think I have already declared what handguns I own,,,I don't have a problem with that.

I want to make it as easy to catch the bad guys as possible, I have nothing to hide

Wow! You would give up your freedom for a little "perceived" security. Sam Adams spoke rightly about people like you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

Reactions: louforgiveno
I was a reserve police officer many, many years ago in a town I managed the radio station in, I have friends in law enforcement from police departments to the CIA,,,

The people that are really afraid of the FAA having access to flight data are people doing things they know they shouldn't,,,,,if people keep flying drones near airports/fires etc, we won't have to worry about flight data, drones will be outlawed,,,,scream that's not right all you want,,the FAA has the responsability to keep the general public safe,,,if we force them to, quads will go away

I don't think you are paying attention to the facts. To begin with you yourself was reassuring others not to worry about anything and what they had heard was not going on. I then see this topic after some 5 pages of post and let you know there in deed was stuff going on. It's not that it is "only this" or "only that" but the fact that it is going on regardless the level of activity. I personally have no idea what all is exactly taking place, but I do know something in fact does go on. And it has been going on without it being shared. It would be nice to know everything there is to know about anything you own. If you think about it, why not let people know they can use their login info access the flight log files online? What would be the point in keeping that info a secret? Most likely it's because there is more to it then just saving the quads files on a cloud.

Btw, is it not possible to see what is being uploaded from your wifi device to the internet, and to where it is being sent to?

Yeah it's possible to track any and all internet activity coming in and out of your connected devices. It's sophisticated network admin level stuff though and not something most people can easily do. But you can use tools to track all of the internet packet data, use sniffing tools, etc and so forth to see what information is being routed where.

My theory is DJI is a front for the Chinese Army. We are all participating in logging the entire world for their future benefit. We even pay them to do it.

--zigs

My theory is DJI is a front for the Chinese Army. We are all participating in logging the entire world for their future benefit. We even pay them to do it.

--zigs

I hear ya. I've already hung the Chinese flag on my wall. The colours are a little gaudy, but I'll have to get used to it I suppose.

Wow! You would give up your freedom for a little "perceived" security. Sam Adams spoke rightly about people like you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

Some people just don't feel comfortable unless the government is snooping and telling them what to do. Go figure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav