P3 sends data to FAA?

I have the belief that if Anyone was actually using any information, it would more then likely be the Chinese. They make the system as well as the software that is used to video and photograph pretty much EVERYTHING(minus airports). People talk about filming power plants, dams, while on deployments, and everything in between. Any smart country would view all those pictures and videos as being great pieces of information. Thats my addition to the conspiracy. If I go quiet in the next few days...Rise up the quads and avenge me. LOL

It all makes sense now. Can I have your P3 when/if they take you out?

Is it? DJI is harvesting all your flight data to their cloud. Does DJI have a data protection / sharing policy? How do they handle gov't data requests? Subpoenas? Do they sell that data? What about the Chinese gov't? Do they get to see it?

It is plausible that the FAA would request/subpoena lists of repeat offenders for night flights, flights over 400ft, flights past 1 mile, flights near incidents like the highway fire last week, etc. It has been said here that the FAA is working closely with DJI on a number of things.

As for a kill switch, I'm sure DJI can disable your P3. How would they respond to a gov't agency request to do so?

I think the FAA would have a hard time subpoenaing a broad query like that without probable cause.

However, I think a lot of people on this thread don't realize how commonplace it is for the court to allow a prosecutor to subpoena someone's data from a third-party service (email and text messages, most commonly) if relevant to a case, and how most services comply without any resistance at all. Folks are usually shocked to find out that their emails and text messages end up in discovery, straight from the provider's storage/backups, even if they try to delete them from their devices or computers.

If the FAA were to bring some sort of action against an individual in court, they very well could try to gain access to relevant flight logs that DJI had retained "in the cloud". If the data resides in China, that might complicate things a bit more even though DJI does have a US presence. I suspect that DJI would roll over pretty easily though rather than face the potential of an eventual injunction.

The FCC has the ability to monitor and record all radio signals.

This topic is getting off the chart Limbaugh-Beck Crazy.

Reactions: dalebb and F6Rider
People are paranoid about what they don't understand. Drones have a spooky reputation thanks to the military use of drones from high altitude and half a world away. People are paranoid about the government because of some of the post 9/11 citizen surveillance (rightfully so).

For someone who is paranoid I would think a cell phone would be much more scary. It is always connected to the Internet, has a GPS, a microphone and a camera.

The reality is that the government doesn't have the resources to be chasing down petty violations. Maybe if someone crashed their P3 on the lawn of the White House, or landed it in an ICBM silo they would investigate. But short of that I doubt they care that I once flew over a mile away or over 400 feet.

EDIT: I used a basic network monitoring app when doing the sync and all IP addresses logged were all cloud services based in the US - Amazon and Linode. I wasn't able to quickly ascertain which one was actually being used for the data sync I was running

View attachment 25469
Fairly inspired thinking, on tracking this. Well done! I wonder if it's encrypted transmitted data? Sniffer anyone? Of course there will be another data transmission when DJI retrieves this info from the U.S. Servers...If/when they do. Although I'd imagine their connections to the server farm are encrypted, for whatever that's worth.

I wonder, by the same processes you used to track this info when you synched...could you similarly see if data was sent during the time of a flight. Might put some conspiracies to rest. Oh, what am I saying, conspiracy theories never rest... But a test of (wifi on) network traffic during flight could be interesting.

Considering that it has taken the FAA 3 years to get even something that resembles a regulation, I doubt they are spending much time checking in on flights.

Even if they were getting the flight data, if they saw something suspicious, they would have to call DJI, have them search their database for the serial number, then, find the dealer, have them search their database (assuming they even match customers to serial numbers) and so on. I'm sure a dealer would eventually leak that they were being asked for customer data by the FAA and so on. Not to mention a lot of people question the regulations are enforceable.
Lol sounds like they'd have to look harder to find a P3 than a gun.

Couple guys at the field are all paranoid about their P3s sending data to the FAA. One went as far as selling his P3 because of that, regretting it a day later, lol. They are all worried about flying over 400ft, or outside the park. My ipad never gets connected to the internet anymore and is only used for my P3, but I don't think I would care anyway.

They said the info about the P3 sending data to the FAA is in the manual, but I cant find it.

Any thoughts?

Here's a good one. Why don't you just fly no higher that your 400ft height limit and no further than your 500m radius or VLOS.
Anyone who flies outside that should be prosecuted, especially regarding height!

Reactions: Andy Collins
Here's a good one. Why don't you just fly no higher that your 400ft height limit and no further than your 500m radius or VLOS.
Anyone who flies outside that should be prosecuted, especially regarding height!

How would they be prosecuted if it's not a law? Calm down. You've broken the speed limits in a car, correct? Did you turn yourself in?

I'm not condoning flying higher than 400ft but it's not a law so until it is, no one's gonna be prosecuted.

How would they be prosecuted if it's not a law? Calm down. You've broken the speed limits in a car, correct? Did you turn yourself in?

I'm not condoning flying higher than 400ft but it's not a law so until it is, no one's gonna be prosecuted.

Here in the UK it's different, if you break these rules then you could be prosecuted.
Especially if people keep flying too high or near planes! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33612631

No one has mention fake cell towers... so I just had to chip in..

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...fake-cell-towers-discovered-in-one-month.html

As they are based on a software defined radio protocols they can also receive 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz transmissions of any type. Such as analogue video from FPV or the data stream from a P3.

Let the games begin....

I've monitored the 5.8Ghz band here and picked up someones P2 FPV from over a mile away.. lol

Here in the UK it's different, if you break these rules then you could be prosecuted.
Especially if people keep flying too high or near planes! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33612631

Well, if it's the law then I guess they really shouldn't be above 400ft. That being said, I'd rather they didn't have to be prosecuted to learn that lesson.

P. S. in typical American fashion, I forgot about the world outside of the states. :D

No one has mention fake cell towers... so I just had to chip in..

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...fake-cell-towers-discovered-in-one-month.html

As they are based on a software defined radio protocols they can also receive 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz transmissions of any type. Such as analogue video from FPV or the data stream from a P3.

Let the games begin....

I've monitored the 5.8Ghz band here and picked up someones P2 FPV from over a mile away.. lol

Did you know that 'legally' our 5.8Ghz transmitters are only allowed to be 25mw? Even though all shops sell 600 + mw versions
I had to change mine on my P2 when I got my permission for aerial work.
If you're picking up a signal from over a mile away, I wonder what the power output was!? 1000mw?

Well, if it's the law then I guess they really shouldn't be above 400ft. That being said, I'd rather they didn't have to be prosecuted to learn that lesson.

P. S. in typical American fashion, I forgot about the world outside of the states. :D

I'd rather some ******* get prosecuted and teach a lesson to everyone else than from someone to collide with another aircraft and possibly ruin the hobby for everyone!

I'd rather some ******* get prosecuted and teach a lesson to everyone else than from someone to collide with another aircraft and possibly ruin the hobby for everyone!
Some places have the death penalty for things like murder... people still kill people. Penalties do little as far as prevention goes.

Yea, I think the government is wayyy overrated. I remember 9/11 when everything was going crazy, there wasn't a single air force jet anywhere near nyc. I think one or 2 finally came like 5 hours after both buildings went down. It was really upsetting that our government had such a slow response time and no countermeasures to avoid the whole thing in the first place (you would think NYC of all places would have some sort of anti-air defense hidden somewhere). All this NSA, FCC, FAA blah blah blah, but they are not as sophisticated as many would like to think they are. The most they can probably do is target an individual or corporation, but sifting through data is not as easy as it may seem, even with filtering and automated searches and this and that, it would likely take wayyy to long to get useful data which would already be outdated by the time they got it... Not to mention all the laws they would be breaking in obtaining the data... The only power our government seems to really have is in the court system and prison system.

Yea, I think the government is wayyy overrated. I remember 9/11 when everything was going crazy, there wasn't a single air force jet anywhere near nyc. I think one or 2 finally came like 5 hours after both buildings went down. It was really upsetting that our government had such a slow response time and no countermeasures to avoid the whole thing in the first place (you would think NYC of all places would have some sort of anti-air defense hidden somewhere). All this NSA, FCC, FAA blah blah blah, but they are not as sophisticated as many would like to think they are. The most they can probably do is target an individual or corporation, but sifting through data is not as easy as it may seem, even with filtering and automated searches and this and that, it would likely take wayyy to long to get useful data which would already be outdated by the time they got it... Not to mention all the laws they would be breaking in obtaining the data... The only power our government seems to really have is in the court system and prison system.

Watch Citizenfour, and listen what Snowden says - NSA is capable to record every phone call on the planet and brake any password within 2 days. They are capable to trace us easily. http://www.pilgrimbreak.com/citizenfour-hd-high-speed-download/

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4