P3 sends data to FAA?

They all really really believe it. They weren't just trying to scare me. They were already talking about it and I came over and overheard most of that. Then they repeated whatever I missed out on... LoL

Considering that it has taken the FAA 3 years to get even something that resembles a regulation, I doubt they are spending much time checking in on flights.

Even if they were getting the flight data, if they saw something suspicious, they would have to call DJI, have them search their database for the serial number, then, find the dealer, have them search their database (assuming they even match customers to serial numbers) and so on. I'm sure a dealer would eventually leak that they were being asked for customer data by the FAA and so on. Not to mention a lot of people question the regulations are enforceable.

The phantom does send data to the FAA . Fact.
Not only does it record where and how you are flying it also takes control of your iPhone to photograph you and send details to the Police. It also monitors your internet usage for illegal activity, DJI are investigating the ability to penalise you for transgressions by limiting your flying, shocking you or exploding the battery, you don't even have to be online because of the stealth SIM card.
By the way, the camera on your TV and car are both doing the same.

They also said that the government has a kill switch for the P3 and Inspire. They can just shut it off, or even land it wherever they please. LoL
I think they read a news article that was mis-informed about the "no-fly" zones. The gov does not have a "kill switch", it's just built into the Phantom.

I seen a video a guy posted the other night who was aproched by some cops when he was flying near a spot that had a break in. and the cops were way way cool with the guy and were wondering if maybe he got any video of the guys that broke in.. and the cops were commenting on how freaking cool they thought the guys phantom was then they dropped a line in that was pretty weird and no one seemed to catch and were more focused on the rest of the video of the cool cop encounter..
The cops said that they think its way cool and completely legal . But said both cops said that " Anyone else that has any of the newer ones that can go a mile or more are indeed on a dhs and fbi watch list as soon as they buy them..,,,,,,,,,,,,

and there is no way the goverment would just know who has one unless some ones giving them that info. So more evidence(even if not rock solid proof) that dji is indeed in bed with the goverment and dont seem to mind tyranny as long as people buy there stuff.

I was already suspecting some thing like that had to be going on considering there was some one here who posted about a friendly visit they had after only having there p3 for a day and took it for one flight and some crazy paranoid nut bag chick called the cops saying someone flew a drone over her house. and the cops went to his house being he was the closest person that they new owned a drone in the neighbor hood.. They sure as hell did not just guess that some one had one shipped to them and they sure as heck did not just pull out some sort of crystal ball and get that info to go on..

Rubbish.

Being that the FAA and most fed agencies are so slow to do anything like change the laws, cops can't legally charge you unless you break some other law using the quad. There's no doubt cops use intimidation and scare tactics to suppress us pilots. The other day I was flying my P3A in a remote sonoran desert location with no humans for 15 square miles. It was in a public park but I flew in the direction of a closed area that humans are not allowed to use due to a conservation project. I was flying under 400' but over 5000ft in distance. Two local cops in a marked 4X4 pulled into the park. At that point I got suspicious and hit RTH. The cops parked where about 4 or 5 other cars were parked by hikers in the opposite area of where I was flying. They eyeballed the few people that were hanging around the main park area, then got back in the car and headed my way. At this point, I had sat in my car while I could visually see the P3A landing in front of my car on a dirt area. This is a big parking lot and there were no other cars within a half mile of my car, yet the cops parked right behind me and just watched me land my quad. I was a bit intimidated because I generally don't trust cops and they do have guns and I'm in the middle of the desert lol. I believe they were there to intimidate me but did not find the need to approach me since I immediately landed, threw my P3A in the back seat and took off. The cops remained parked in their spot, but as I was driving out of the park, a police helicopter began circling around my car at about 600 ft elevation. I couldn't believe wtf I was seeing. Aren't there real criminals these guys should be chasing? After a few minutes, the chopper ascended and took off and I kept driving home. Very strange to say the least.

Couple guys at the field are all paranoid about their P3s sending data to the FAA. One went as far as selling his P3 because of that, regretting it a day later, lol. They are all worried about flying over 400ft, or outside the park. My ipad never gets connected to the internet anymore and is only used for my P3, but I don't think I would care anyway.

They said the info about the P3 sending data to the FAA is in the manual, but I cant find it.

Any thoughts?

I really wish folks here would suppress their urge to drive false sensationalism by twisting their topic names for a given thread.

" Does P3 send data to FAA? " would have been the right topic given your thread.

" P3 sends data to FAA ?" Is implying they do, or you're about to talk about how they do. "
This is the kind of stuff the media does on a regular basis to get folks to read their article or create misinformation. It's what we call Sensationalism.

You haven't been a member for even a month, and you are already "hopefully not on purpose" adding to the many threads from folks doing the same thing.

You would assume everyone on this forum is into Quads.
Posts with subjects like this hurt the hobby.
Many haters on here do this purposely. We all know who they are.
I hope you're not another. We have our quota covered already. :)

Last edited:
I think you should worry less about getting CAUGHT doing something wrong and worry more about actually DOING something wrong. The P3 won't let you fly in "no fly zones". If your P3 lets you fly there, it's safe to assume it's "legal". BUT! You still need to use common sense. Picture a price tag on everything around you. What is the dollar value of that parking lot full of cars? Can you afford to pay the damages if you hit one or two of them? What about the kid in the stroller? Can you even measure what a baby is worth? There are so many "free" places to land, so why risk landing somewhere expensive?

Reactions: jlummel and N017RW
On the crazy scale of 1-10, this is a 12 :D

Is it? DJI is harvesting all your flight data to their cloud. Does DJI have a data protection / sharing policy? How do they handle gov't data requests? Subpoenas? Do they sell that data? What about the Chinese gov't? Do they get to see it?

It is plausible that the FAA would request/subpoena lists of repeat offenders for night flights, flights over 400ft, flights past 1 mile, flights near incidents like the highway fire last week, etc. It has been said here that the FAA is working closely with DJI on a number of things.

As for a kill switch, I'm sure DJI can disable your P3. How would they respond to a gov't agency request to do so?

Is it? DJI is harvesting all your flight data to their cloud. Does DJI have a data protection / sharing policy? How do they handle gov't data requests? Subpoenas? Do they sell that data? What about the Chinese gov't? Do they get to see it?

It is plausible that the FAA would request/subpoena lists of repeat offenders for night flights, flights over 400ft, flights past 1 mile, flights near incidents like the highway fire last week, etc. It has been said here that the FAA is working closely with DJI on a number of things.

As for a kill switch, I'm sure DJI can disable your P3. How would they respond to a gov't agency request to do so?
If you are so worried about the 'supposed' harvesting of cloud data then the solution is simple.... 'Don't Freaking sync to the cloud' There is really no compelling reason to do so. I just love all of these paranoid people espousing all of their conspiracy theory's, somebody smoking some good stuff.

Reactions: TeamYankee
People are so quick to dismiss or deny that their gov could possibly be spying on them. The info probably goes to more than the FAA, most likely the NSA. I don't live a life in paranoia or anything. I follow the rules for the most part where they make sense, and I'm not plotting any crimes with my P3A so I just go on living my life. But you can't be so conforming and dismiss that "authorities" are watching you. And everything from cops to the media just love drone-bashing lately to further their own causes so be careful out there.

If you are so worried about the 'supposed' harvesting of cloud data then the solution is simple.... 'Don't Freaking sync to the cloud' There is really no compelling reason to do so. I just love all of these paranoid people espousing all of their conspiracy theory's, somebody smoking some good stuff.

Did you read what I wrote? I never said I was worried about it. I posited a series of questions about DJI's data policies.

DJI has established a platform for collecting user data. That is not conspiracy. That is fact. What they haven't established is a clearly stated policy on what they do/do not collect and how that data is used. To say the propensity for misuse is the domain of paranoid conspiracy theorists is naïve. It is perfectly valid discussion to have about their data policies.

Almost everything with a computer or magnetic strip collects and sends data to some where now days.

Cars.
T.V. 's
Drones
Phones
Computers
Health bands
GPS units
Car Key Fobs
Some appliances
Credit cards
Banks cards
Loyalty cards
Your house utility consumption
Shopping habits
Buying habits
Etc.

The only truth of it all, is you really have no control despite what the user agreements say.

Common sense would be your only guide.
-If you pay for a happy ending with your credit card. Chances are, no one will ever knock on your door.
If you own a rub n tug, you could be targeted.
- if you fly above 400ft. Your likely not going to have anyone knock on your door.
If you fly 400 feet over an airport. You may be targeted.

Your info is already everywhere. Like it or not.
Stay away from the bad stuff, and folks like the FAA aren't going to visit you for a harmless flight over a distant field at 600ft. .....

Did you read what I wrote? I never said I was worried about it. I posited a series of questions about DJI's data policies.

DJI has established a platform for collecting user data. That is not conspiracy. That is fact. What they haven't established is a clearly stated policy on what they do/do not collect and how that data is used. To say the propensity for misuse is the domain of paranoid conspiracy theorists is naïve. It is perfectly valid discussion to have about their data policies.
This is an excellent point. Generally speaking, when consumer's data is being stored in the cloud or on a web site, they have to agree to some T's & C's. I don't recall ever doing that when I registered my Phantom. I didn't even know my data was being stored elsewhere for the first couple days using the app.

....hey you're just jealous 'cause the voices talk to me...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav