P3 rotor blades - how long before changing?

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering what the facts are on the above. Is there a specified time DJI state before they recommend changing or can they last indefinitely if never damaged. I imagine they are a ware and tear item so must have a shelf life?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

On my previous P3A I used the first set for over 70 flights, still worked a charm until I got the whole P3 exchanged for a P3P due to stress cracks appearing.

I'm going to start looking into balancing the props from now on as I love the P3 and want everything to be perfect lol

Apart from that I don't think there is any requirements on when to change them.

Thats just my 2 cents on the topic, I'm sure others will chime in too.

DJI does not have a recommended lifespan for props. The lifespan is determined by how well you take care of them.

Props should last for a long time -- as long as you don't crash and/or strike something. Before flying, it's a good idea to flex them a bit to check for small cracks around the center hub. Also, check the inside of the hubs for wear. If you don't over tighten them, you shouldn't have any trouble with the inside of the hubs wearing.

DJI does not have a recommended lifespan for props. The lifespan is determined by how well you take care of them.

Props should last for a long time...

I'm approaching 300 flights on the same set of props. I keep them clean and check their balance every 20 flights or so. Have not had to fix any balancing issues yet either.

Also, just make sure you hand tighten the props. Some don't read the manual and use the prop removal tool to install and remove props. This reduces life of the composite hub and damages the threads on the motor.

Be sure to check the threads for wear and the prop root for cracks as they get older. I haven't seen it but I imagine it will happen at some point.

Reactions: Ayrtonginster
Just thought I'd post this. Found this crack on a trailing edge with a little over only 4 hrs, no ground strikes, just bugs and the occasional little rock that might kick up when landing or taking off. I did land in some grass once that was about as tall as the P3. All other blades look fine.

In the first picture I put some pressure/flex on the rotor blade to show the crack.

wing-crack.jpg
wing-crack2.jpg

Just thought I'd post this. Found this crack on a trailing edge with a little over only 4 hrs, no ground strikes, just bugs and the occasional little rock that might kick up when landing or taking off. I did land in some grass once that was about as tall as the P3. All other blades look fine.

In the first picture I put some pressure/flex on the rotor blade to show the crack.

View attachment 66709 View attachment 66710
I would replace it, better safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

View attachment 66709 View attachment 66710

Well you don't really know what that crack is going to do when it's spinning at a few thousand rpm. I wouldn't fly with it unless you want to chance the prop shattering in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Well you don't really know what that crack is going to do when it's spinning at a few thousand rpm. I wouldn't fly with it unless you want to chance the prop shattering in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

No worries, that blade has been retired as soon as the fracture was discovered. This is why a proper inspection is critical for safety. I have my Remote Pilot Airman Certificate and do not need a failure during a job; replacing a $3 blade is a no brainer.

Thanks for the advice folks. ;)

A couple of members mentioned balancing their props.

Please excuse me for asking, but how do you balance a prop?

Thank you,

Pete

A couple of members mentioned balancing their props.

Please excuse me for asking, but how do you balance a prop?

Thank you,

Pete
There's various ways of balancing a prop. Just put "Phantom 3 balancing props" into YouTube and you'll find lots of information. Here's one to start you off :-
The benefit of balancing props is that it reduces vibration and thus general stress and wear-and-tear on the aircraft and props.

Reactions: Chicken drone
Heck, I've got like three sets of props I still haven't even unwrapped yet; I thought I would need them based on my experience with my Hubsan, which eats props like they're going out of style.

Heck, I've got like three sets of props I still haven't even unwrapped yet; I thought I would need them based on my experience with my Hubsan, which eats props like they're going out of style.
I would agree with you on the Hubsan, you go thru props super fast flying indoors, or letting other fly it into walls and objects. Then again thats why you buy a cheap small quad for that exact reason. It's always funny doing a little 'demo' flight to show someone how to use it then handing over the controller and watching them realize it's not actually that easy to fly. Then of course offering up later outside to fly the 'expensive' Phantom. Rarely anyone wants to go near it after the Hubsan experience. Also they eat batteries like they are cookies.

My cat chewed one of my props,didnt think it was that bad,did a flight,came back,had crack under the motor of that prop,dont know if it causing crack but when in doubt get a new set of props.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4