P3 Retractable landing gear?!

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted here before but found this on eBay today,

eBay

What do you guys think? Would be pretty cool to have but there's no point with the p3's gimbal.

Pretty cool idea however, forget about getting any kind of customer support from the seller (conveniently located in China) once you hack into your Phantom only to find either the device doesn't work as advertised and/or your Phantom no longer works. Perhaps the next generation of Phantoms will offer something similar to the Inspiron's retractable landing gear.

Ya cool idea but I am with CCDD on this for sure as to support and repairs. Butcher your P3 and add a further extension that can get caught up on something when flying. Since the landing gear doesn't get in the way of filming as is - I think they will just leave it as is. Strange why it says 'World Wide" shipping - yet in bold red font says (Does not ship to Canada) - hmmm! Happy safe flying (and landing)!

There are a few YouTube installation videos about retractable landing gear with the P3. For me I don't see the appeal because of the gimbal. Granted it looks cool though.

When we fire up the Phantom, notice the left and right turns the camera/gimbal perform. Why can't those swivels be implemented into the drone, and allow a 15*to 20* turn of the camera, in either direction. Perhaps if the gimbal dial was clickable, switching from vertical tilt to horizontal pan?

Just thinking out loud, was all. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I find it pretty slick, even considered one for myself. It´s awesome when it´s working and also when you´re flying, really cool add-on for the P3. But then I thought that since the landing gear doesn´t interfere with the cam (i.e. doesn´t show on image), and the P3 gimbal isn´t 360° like Inspire´s, ends up being only a "visual" matter so I decided not to tamper with the P3 to install it just for having no real use for it.

Reactions: Jay H
Good question neven, especially since now the Phantoms antennas would be horizontal Vs vertical with landing gear raised! No idea here - but If I was to guess - I would say RC signal as received via the Phantom may be somewhat degraded - especially the further away you fly'

Yes,

Range would be affected negatively unless the antennas were left to hang vertically.

Neat. But. Whats the point? What does it solve? I haven't seen anything in any video where the landing gear is in the way of the camera. Its always been the prop guards or the props or the red lights on the arms.

I am still very new, so I would love to see the point here but I don't. The Inspire has a fully articulated camera platform, its legs would get in the way. The P3 only has elevation control on the camera, no yaw.

You say what many have said...

Acknowledges it looks cool, but sees no benefit to any thing the drone does.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
You say what many have said...

Acknowledges it looks cool, but sees no benefit to any thing the drone does.

Good. I was trying not to be a dunce. But I honestly didn't see the up side here.

Cons:
1. It adds weight
2. It adds something else to go wrong
3. It reduces RF distance
4. It removes any protection what so ever for the gimbal/camera

Pros:
1. It looks cool.
2. Uh...it looks cool?

Yea plus you have to relocate the compass too.

When we fire up the Phantom, notice the left and right turns the camera/gimbal perform. Why can't those swivels be implemented into the drone, and allow a 15*to 20* turn of the camera, in either direction. Perhaps if the gimbal dial was clickable, switching from vertical tilt to horizontal pan?

Just thinking out loud, was all. ;-)

RedHotPoker

They are (left/right turns, slightly)

This is exactly why people have problems with their Phantoms. They have nothing better to do with their time than to hack into them, add crap that provides no viable benefit and end up with a product with big holes and wires hanging out of it. Watching this video was like witnessing someone in great health undergo quadruple bypass surgery for no reason other than to say they did It.

Only thing I see is cool factor. You go out with some other P3 owners and say look at what I can do. Maybe keep it out off a shot in a really windy day that you should not be flying in.

But for someone that uses hand to land... that is closer then I want fingers to props. Imagine it does not and you need to land your hand catching with not a lot of area before your finger hits a blade. Not to mention camera damage if land and don't go down right.

And eventually, you *will* forget to lower them before landing and then.... well, hope you have a gimbal guard. Except of course that it'll be impossible to install one without the landing gear in place. o_O

It's Cool but there are Pros and Cons. Hopefully DJI will incorporate this as standard to upcoming new models. This means will automatically goes down once you land the bird (or the vision sensor sense 1 meter from the ground

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl