P3 props from Amazon (Genuine DJI)

Reaction score
I just noticed that part #9450 has a metal liner inside instead of plastic. Has anyone seen this yet?

I hope this is a improvement to solve the propellers from spinning off & crashing your P3

Kurt

It's not part #9450. That's the name of the prop. The number has to do with arc and pitch.

I don't remember the 9450s having anything other than composite hubs. IIRC, they came out and were included with the Phantom 2 + version 3.

The older 9443s were metal hubs.

It's possible the listing you're referring to is not a DJI product.

Anyway, the deal is, composite is better than metal because it's less likely to spin off. That's why DJI switched to the white composite hubs over the silver metal hubs.

I don't under stand why there's not also a set screw or something as a secondary locking system

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Fly yours for a while and then try to get yours off. People who remove their props after every flight MAY be asking for trouble, in that there has been speculation about props coming off. In the rare instance I have changed mine, I found myself putting on a pair of glasses and looking again and again to make sure I was actually trying to loosen them. They seem to tighten themselves over time. IE: the rotation of the motor spins the propellar in the tightening direction.

Reactions: Dr. Klutz
The problem is the auto-braking of the newer generation Phantoms such as the P3 which were putting a force on the props in the loosening direction.

It's not part #9450. That's the name of the prop. The number has to do with arc and pitch.

I don't remember the 9450s having anything other than composite hubs. IIRC, they came out and were included with the Phantom 2 + version 3.

The older 9443s were metal hubs.

It's possible the listing you're referring to is not a DJI product.

Anyway, the deal is, composite is better than metal because it's less likely to spin off. That's why DJI switched to the white composite hubs over the silver metal hubs.

Thanks for the information, I may send them back to the supplier as a "Inferior product"

You would have thought, that a metal contact to a metal bolt would have been the ultimate solution to prop spin-off.

So, I take it, that this time Amazon sent me a DJI product, that is not with in specs. of DJI?

I have had other shipments from "Kazoom" that gave me the original second set of blades & they are perfect!

So, I take it, I should contact "Amazon" about this order, because these propellers will not function properly?

Kurt

The problem is the auto-braking of the newer generation Phantoms such as the P3 which were putting a force on the props in the loosening direction.

That was one of my thoughts about why I crashed, & it was because I was doing a lot of side-to-side motion.

Which with the "Auto-Braking" causes this bird to un-screw it's prop's!

I have been trying to develop a locking device for P3 props. I am still in that process at this time, if I find a cheap way to secure these prop's, I will post the results, Here!

Kurt

I think DJI has a model of drone that uses the metal-hubbed props, but not the P3 series.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I remember when we switched over from the 9443's to the 9450's for more thrust with the P2's . Worked great and bought I don't know how many sets .
Got the standard and instead of Reading I just put a set on and flew for about a month before I did read someone's post about it and was lucky I guess .
I never had any issues but sure could have with that braking .I cut mine down as low as it would go .

Well... the correct phrase is "active braking" which is new with the P3 and is now standard on Phantoms. The P4 went to locking hubs to resolve the problem.

But yeah, the risk is more pronounced with the active braking. You need to stay away from the metal hubs, and snug down the props before every flight.

If you wanted, you could put a little lock washer on between the prop and the motor. You know, one that looks like this:
239.png

I did it and I could see no difference in flight operation. Just be sure to get the right size, which would be the smallest one that will fit on there.

Oh, in case you're wondering, yes, I had a prop fly off at 400'.

Thanks for the information, I may send them back to the supplier as a "Inferior product"

You would have thought, that a metal contact to a metal bolt would have been the ultimate solution to prop spin-off.

So, I take it, that this time Amazon sent me a DJI product, that is not with in specs. of DJI?

I have had other shipments from "Kazoom" that gave me the original second set of blades & they are perfect!

So, I take it, I should contact "Amazon" about this order, because these propellers will not function properly?

It's the opposite. There is no give to metal on metal to it can only be tightened so much. The hubs in the P3 are a composite. They are strong but still give a little when tightening. This means that they cinch down and grasp on the metal motor bolt. Think of the difference between a metal washer, that only slides to allow something to become tight and a compression washer that compresses and creates pressure to hold in place. There is no compression with metal on metal.

There were/are several sellers on Amazon that sell metal P3 props. They are 100% _incorrect_ and _should not be used_.

I am only guessing here, but I have seen this mysterious "auto braking" mentioned here several times, and I'd bet it does not have to do with rapid deceleration of the propellars. Normal helicopters do not do it. Auto braking might mean changing the bird's angle of attack, so to speak, from a positive angle to a negative angle. IE:if the bird is tilted to fly forward, and a command is sent to stop, it abruptly tilts the opposite direction for a bit, as in putting on the brakes. I'm no expert, but just thinking out loud.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik