P3 Proper use of batteries - TIPS

Reaction score
Please could clarify some doubts?

* Can i charge the battery immediately after using the phantom ?, it's hot, so should let it cool?
* Never let down 8% to avoid damaging the same? that OK?

What are your tips for longer battery life?

the phantom battery wont charge unless its under a certain temp (not sure the exact number) but i always wait until my batteries are nice and cool before charging.

I always let the battery cool to room temp before charging and 20% would be my limit but I usually land before it even reaches 30%. There have been a couple topics of batteries becoming damaged after draining them to 8% at the 20 cycle count as per the manual.

Reactions: EsteeNJ
I always let the battery cool to room temp before charging and 20% would be my limit but I usually land before it even reaches 30%. There have been a couple topics of batteries becoming damaged after draining them to 8% at the 20 cycle count as per the manual.

therefore wondered, had a P2V + and always load dropped to less than 8% but at 10 cycles swelled and began to fail

Modern LIPO batteries don't "like" to go below 20% especially repeatedly. Most people use the 20% rule of thumb and this will greatly extend overall battery life. I've got some LIPO batteries (not Phantom) that have in excess of 150 charge cycles on them with no significant "puffing". Granted the 150 charge units aren't as potent as the new ones (I've noticed a performance drop in the 75 - 100 cycle range) but they aren't deformed and still take a good charge. The keys to non-Smart batteries (Phantom batteries are ultra smart IMHO) is to keep them well balanced, don't store them at more than 40% charge remaining, don't store them in a HOT environment, don't charge them unless they are room temp (I use a small soft sides cooler with a cool pack inside to help get them cooler quicker when on the job), don't let them get too cold, don't try to fly them in very cold temps (I preWarm my batteries in cold weather) and don't discharge below the 20% level if possible.

For transparency I'm VERY new to DJI products (about 2 weeks in now) but I've been flying RC for 4 decades and have a crazy amount of LIPO batteries that I maintain for my other RC aircraft.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Tashier and Fplvert
I prever to charge it after the battery cooled down completely. It's a lippo battery if you charge this at hot temp makes the battery pregnant and shorten the flight time and decrese the performance the battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers