Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

P3 Professional single shot, HDR and AEB little difference when processed

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by NorthwestDrone, Oct 14, 2015.

1. NorthwestDrone

Anyone seen any major difference in HDR vs regular shots? I process all bracketing and HDR thru Photomatix and Lightroom and for the life of me all photos look the same, even when combined with the 3 or 5 AEB. Bracketed photos have difference exposure but just seems like theres little difference in the photos when in post. Anyone know if manual settings will override the HDR and AEB or use the exposure set by user? I use manual settings but overall i just dont see a difference. Am i missing something? Thx guys.

2. EPT160

HDR is really best for high dynamic range subjects and if you use HDR to shoot these you will see a big difference. If you use HDR on a regular, or even low dynamic range subjects, you will not see much difference then just shooting RAW or even a jpeg.

High Dynamic Range means extreme contrast range. Try using it on a subject where you are looking into the light, with dark shadows and a very bright shy. For best results the bracket should be set to about 2 stops different (or more) for each frame, ie: 1) regular Exp 2) Two stops under 3) Two stops over.

Cerone likes this.
  3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

EPT160 is right about the subject and lighting having an effect.
    You can confirm that you are getting different exposure values when you shoot AEB by looking at the Exif data for each photo
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately you are stuck with a 0.7 stop difference between photos with the P3

4. EPT160

That's a bit of a shame, 2/3 of a stop does not really make much of a difference for HDR. I have not used for aerials so did not check. Is it any different with Litchi do you know/

5. Cerone

As @EPT160 said above, you need a high contrast image in order to see the benefits.

6. NorthwestDrone

Thanks guys. I've been mostly focusing on real estate photography and static houses obviously do not offer a lot of high contrast opportunities. Too bad the .7 stop is so minimal.

7. Justin Miller

When we implement HDR in our app it will be 7 images +3.0ev, +2.0ev, +1.0ev, 0.0ev, -1.0ev, -2.0ev, -3.0ev for the Inspire and P3P. With the P3A you can only go to + or - 2.0ev so that would be 5 images. The feature is a tad buggy for us at the moment but here are two sample shots I took with our app.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

apsphoto likes this.
  8. apsphoto

Justin that will be awesome, can't wait for the implementation of that feature. It will add a lot to raw processing.

Alan

9. Justin Miller

Just to be clear our app will not process the HDR image for you, it will just auto bracket the photo for you and take a series of 7 images.

Thanks,

Justin