P3 Pro refuses to give it up...

Reaction score
I'd appreciate some help with transferring files (both video and photo) from the factory supplied SD card, to my iMac.

I'm pretty tech savvy : have GoPro, Sony NEX-7, iPhones etc etc - but can't for the life of me get the P3 Pro to give up the files stored on its SD card! The drone records the files on the card (well - I assume it does - the 'available space' changes and the files are available in the DJI app on my iPhone.

Am a total drone newbie but have read the manuals cover to cover. I've searched the forums, I've tried different cables (drone's micro USB port to my computer's USB port), have formatted the SD card, have tried the drone's SD card (complete with drone recorded files) in my GoPro and connected that to the computer, tried a different computer, tried Image Capture, iPhoto....nothing is working!

I haven't yet tried the GoPro's SD card in the drone - maybe the factory SD card is faulty??

I was expecting just to connect drone to computer (using drone's Micro USB port to computer's USB port, using supplied Micro USB to USB cable) and have the pics/video show up just like any other camera/phone/GoPro....but no!

Matthew
NZ

Ehm which microUsb port are you using ?
You need to attach to camera usb connector, not P3 body. be aware that P3 need to be switched on to work.

Waaat? I didn't even know/notice there is a micro USB port on the camera?!? (runs off to check drone)....OMG - now I see it. Will give it a go. I read all the manuals yesterday (whilst waiting for the batteries to charge, which went on 5 minutes after the drone arrived by courier!) and must have overlooked the part about the port on the camera. Thanks so much!!

What's the port on the body for then?

The other port is for downloading log files, etc.

I find it easier to transfer files by popping out the micro SD card and inseting that into my Mac (by using a USB adapter or micro SD > SD adapter.

Reactions: 304HighDrone
Am just worried that fiddling around with the camera and its gimbal whilst popping card in and out, will lead to damage. That gimbal seems so fragile.

Waaat? I didn't even know/notice there is a micro USB port on the camera?!? (runs off to check drone)....OMG - now I see it. Will give it a go. I read all the manuals yesterday (whilst waiting for the batteries to charge, which went on 5 minutes after the drone arrived by courier!) and must have overlooked the part about the port on the camera. Thanks so much!!

What's the port on the body for then?
The port on the body is for when you return your P3 to DJI for a warranty claim (hope you never need to do that!) they can download the files from the SD card glued inside the shell to ascertain if the story you tell them is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth! In other words was it pilot error or a fault caused by a part or systems failure. The easiest way is to remove the SD card on the side of the gimbal (left side looking forward) then using a card adaptor insert into your PC and download to view your pics/videos.

Am just worried that fiddling around with the camera and its gimbal whilst popping card in and out, will lead to damage. That gimbal seems so fragile.
Put the gimbal lock on, and use your free hand to hold the opposite side of the camera while pressing on the SD card w/ a finger on the other hand.

The stress on the gimbal removing the SD card is nothing like what it gets in flight! Just a light touch will remove the SD card anyway - I NEVER mess around with cables way too slow.

The stress on the gimbal removing the SD card is nothing like what it gets in flight! Just a light touch will remove the SD card anyway - I NEVER mess around with cables way too slow.

I agree with this. I have removed the card from 2 different phantoms several hundred times with no issues.

I honestly would be more concerned about wearing out a micro SD connector.

And unless they have changed things its to frigging slow to transfer via the cable. SD card reader is the way to go.

I agree with this. I have removed the card from 2 different phantoms several hundred times with no issues.

I honestly would be more concerned about wearing out a micro SD connector.

And unless they have changed things its to frigging slow to transfer via the cable. SD card reader is the way to go.
That's a typo you mean the micro USB is potentially fragile - agree with this, have had them break lose inside with other small cameras

Yea another users helping user and problem solved. Enjoy your toy!

That's a typo you mean the micro USB is potentially fragile - agree with this, have had them break lose inside with other small cameras

Yes you are right. Micro USB not micro SD :)

I worry about ruining my tablet connecting it all the time.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice. Seems like removing the SD card is the way to go. Given I have a GoPro which also has a SD card, I will look at options for reading direct from card. Both my computers have card slots so I assume a card adapter is a better (and cheaper) option than a card reader?

Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice. Seems like removing the SD card is the way to go. Given I have a GoPro which also has a SD card, I will look at options for reading direct from card. Both my computers have card slots so I assume a card adapter is a better (and cheaper) option than a card reader?
Just go to best buy and pick up a micro sd to usb adapter. Or check amazon. You can get one for under $5.

Most new micro sd cards have an adapter included in the packaging.
Anyway, glad to hear the tiny mystery was figured out.

Onward and upward. . . Hehe

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl