P3 Pro - Beep from Hell !!!

Reaction score
Hello all, last night I did some repairs on my gimbal, and afterwards I attempted to update my FW. All the signs pointed towards proper update: flashing green/red lights on gimbal, soft beeping, arm lights going off after a while, etc. However, about an hour after I started, it was still updating!?! So, like an idiot, I interrupted the update.

The next time I powered on, I got the steady, LOUD beeping! D- D- D- D- ... I have tried reformatting my mSD cards and reloading FW all day long, even letting the update process run for over 2 hours! I have read that after about 15 mins, the Beep from Hell should stop, but mine hasn't.

Funny thing is, my transmitter and DJI GO app will connect to the camera... Gimbal and camera functions work, just not the aircraft.

What else can I do???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

did you load newest dji go app

Yes, latest most current DJI go app as well...

And for a little bit of my background: I have been a computer tech for over 15 years- with degrees and certifications... Well experienced at repairing and refurbishing laptops and pc's... And now, I am also a mobile phone tech, so working with firmware, etc and even activities such as fixing gimbals, replacing ribbon cables, etc is all "second nature" to me...

I just let my aircraft run the update again for another hour and a half- with the loud beeping going the whole time - "D D D D"...

Yes, latest most current DJI go app as well...

And for a little bit of my background: I have been a computer tech for over 15 years- with degrees and certifications... Well experienced at repairing and refurbishing laptops and pc's... And now, I am also a mobile phone tech, so working with firmware, etc and even activities such as fixing gimbals, replacing ribbon cables, etc is all "second nature" to me...

I just let my aircraft run the update again for another hour and a half- with the loud beeping going the whole time - "D D D D"...

Good that you have great IT experience.

Please check the versions you have on the system: Go App, RC and AC

They should be:
App: 2.8.0
RC: 1.6.0
AC: 1.8.80

Next step would be to upgrade them to these levels if they need so.

AC FW updates three items: AC FW, Camera FW and Batt FW. If Camera update is not done or stuck due to a reason, it will not time out :) check for gimbal gray cables.

Alok, As I mentioned above- my app is current, as is my RC. I am trying to update the AC to 1.8.8, but that's where I am having my troubles.

I just wanted to check what versions you have.

Check gimbal gray cables for connectivity first. Set them right. Then better downgrade to 1.7 and then upgrade back to 1.8 During this process keep RC off.

Reactions: Raja777m
All cables are connected. My AC was originally on 1.5.-something. As for camera and gimbal operation, it works fine. I had my RC and app connected, and had full operation...

Are you saying you have AC version 1.8.80 right now? If true, why don't you downgrade to 1.7 and then upgrade to 1.8.80 again? Will you list your current FW and App versions?

Again- as I have already stated at least THREE times, if you bothered to read and comprehend what I've been saying:
App and RC are at latest versions: app- 2.8.0
RC- 1.6.0
AC- I have no clue. Saying Unknown. That's what I am trying to do- update to 1.8.80 from whatever it was on. But it is beeping loud and keeps updating... Does not stop. I let it run and wear down a full battery today, and gimbal light was still blinking green/red... It's not completing, succeeding, or even failing. Gimbal operates correctly, no bad connections

No need to be rude. People are trying to help you.

My suggestion is to format the SD card on a computer, download the update directly from DJI download site and try starting over clean. It has been known that some downloads have not been clean downloads for a variety of reasons. Starting completely fresh is always the best option.

To add to Steve's advice, make sure you format in fat32... Make sure the BIN is at the root of the SD card...

I can feel the frustration: degreed computer scientists like us feel like this should be cake. Fact is, you can never know everything and people like us can still fall into potholes like FW update issues like all the rest. Alok was just trying to establish IF you could get a reading from the bird on whether it reported what firmware is currently in place. Now that we know it says "unknown", my fear is that you've gotten into a situation of a FW partial load and you may have to send it to DJI to "hard load" the FW. :( But I would say take the above advice first. Format the card, make sure only the BIN file is in the root, and give it one last try. The only way to know the FW update is done is by the dash-dot-dot, dash-dot-dot sound at the end. FWIW, my 1.8.80 update took 20 minutes. Sounds like your FW update "went bad" though since you let it go well beyond that.

Best of luck,
Mike

And from what I can remember, the normal "morse code" is:

Starting FW update: dash-dot-dot (maybe a few times)
Loading FW update: dot-dot-dot-dot (for a long time, for me, 20 minutes)
FW update done: dash-dot-dot (forever until you turn it off)

Mike

I'm sure what Anthony meant to say was Thanks Alok.

Im not meaning to be rude, but I feel I'm being asked for information that I've already given... I have been all over the web looking for fixes. I already have been reformatting the mSD card, (multiple cards at that- and yes- formatting to fat32) and following ALL the steps posted anywhere else. I've redownloaded bin files, tried v1.7 and v1.8.80, - everything. I am no idiot with tech and already said that, and I feel ppl are giving me steps that are uber-noob stuff. I've already tried everything that google and YouTube has shown me... That's why I'm here..

Anthony,

No one is calling you an idiot. You can have all the papers in the world, that doesn't make you the smartest tech. I've been in IT for over 20 years, some people have certifications, diploma's, papers galore and they aren't the best techs on my team. Sometimes US techs forget the most simplest things... Just saying.

Ok, got that. I'm also a tech and recently closed my business after 30 years. I've made some mistakes just like everyone else has with my Phantom. You can make them as well.

I know this is probably going to meet with the same answer but the firmware update comes in a zipped file. Only extract the bin file to the SD card before trying it.

If none of that helps - you need to contact DJI.

Good luck.

Reactions: Bigs
Anthony,

No one is calling you an idiot. You can have all the papers in the world, that doesn't make you the smartest tech. I've been in IT for over 20 years, some people have certifications, diploma's, papers galore and they aren't the best techs on my team. Sometimes US techs forget the most simplest things... Just saying.

Agree. 35 years here. Degreed, PC software developer, Unix, Android ROM developer, decent EE experience as well, own my own software development company, blah, blah. Doesn't mean I know everything or that I can't make simple mistakes on a new (to me) platform. We didn't know until post #9 that the bird was throwing "unknown" for the FW version: only that you had tried and failed up update to 1.8.80. Given that, I fear that you're screwed because the code that actually updates the FW is toast, so it can't load another one. Maybe through no fault of your own, the FW update failed mid-stream and from a few other posts where that happens, it has to be sent to DJI. The reason I was pointing out the sounds/beeps is that in your OP, it sounded like you went more by the lights than the sound. I never power my P3P down until I get the finishing (and repeating) dash, dot, dot at the end. I'll leave mine on until the battery dies if I don't hear it. In your case, it sounds to me like something went wrong and it likely would have never recovered no matter how long you left it on. I also update the FW on the craft with everything else (RC and such) off. Guess you did that. For whatever reason, somehow that FW update must have gotten interrupted. Could have been something as simple as a card/file read error.

Mike

Reactions: Bigs
Yes, I know to extract the bin from the zip and place it in the root of an empty/formatted card...

I'm wondering this: it originally had v1.5.xx or v1.6.xx FW, and I was trying to upgrade straight to v1.8.80. Is that correct, or would I have to increment up? Meaning, install v1.7 and then v1.8?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik