P3 owners - 500m max height ?

Here is some thing for all the oh no the sky is going to fall and who think its to dangerous to even go out side you house with out a crash helmet and a life vest on. Look at what these dudes were doing and they had full permission from the goverment of Dubai no less and flew in a very populated area and flying at high speeds right next to sky scrapers. . Not to mention ballz of pure heat treated tool steel.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now that is some serious FPV flying these dudes have going on.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
I think I figured out why my video had the jitters at 500 m. I made a plexiglas gimble guard and I think it affected the tilt of the camera when the phantom was being pushed by the wind being that high up. when I turned into the wind, it stopped. I'll just have to set it back a little, so it isn't affecting the camera travel. I was being blown off home point that high up. Not sure I'd take it any higher. I also noted my flight time was far less going up than horizontal. I bet those motors were working. 10 mph on the ground.. Probably much more up at 500m

Jet engines are quite robust as shown here..

Cessna windshields are not that robust as shown here:

they had full permission from the goverment of Dubai no less and flew in a very populated area and flying at high speeds right next to sky scrapers.

That would be the operative part of this comparison. Full permission. That mans the airspace was cleared, NOTAMs issued, etc. When it's just you, the Phantom and the dog, there's no way for a Cessna cruising at 150kts at 1,000ft to be warned that they're about to take your Phantom through their windshield.

Cue Steve to tell us how unlikely that possibility is... ;) To which I preemptively reply: don't be so sure. The more this is deemed "acceptable", the more the odds of an incident increase. Drone ownership is ballooning. OP doing this near NYC. Last week, it was someone in SoCal. The probabilities are changing.

Bottom line: laws or not, unless you can be 100% certain there is no air traffic nearby (hint: you can't) you are potentially putting human lives at risk.

People can argue all they want, but it won't change the fact that there are enough "I can do what I want' operators out there that restrictive rules are coming, and soon, and you can't change that. And once in place you can bet your last dollar the FCC will be looking for a few rule breakers to make examples of to help keep the rest in line. $5000 fine anyone?

I'd probably test mine at an area where there is farm land. I have a place in mind where I never see planes flying low enough to matter. No airports around anyways.

Flying around for any amount of time more then 500m above ground is pointless but I'd like to take it up for a minute and take a snap shot of the landscape or even straight down.

View attachment 18139 Here's a pic I took with my p2vision+
if we restrict to that height...for sure we can get bored right?....sometimes we need to take that shot above 500m...example if the building is 800m high so how?im not saying that everytime we want to fly over 500m? right? i've flown my blade 350 qx over 800m and the view is spectacular but since it is without gimbal the footage easily get bored cause our eyes has used to cinematic motion....thanks to national geographic of course....so i ditched the Blade!
so DJI have to think how to make the restriction intelligently...coz if u in an area where there is not flight path of any aircraft so why's there restriction? so its stupid...there must be some kind of system to allow or disallow to fly above 500m....not to restrict completely...that's way to easy bro...

Last edited:
if we restrict to that height...for sure we can get bored right?....sometimes we need to take that shot above 500m...example if the building is 800m high so how?
How many buildings are over 800m?!! [emoji50]

How many buildings are over 800m?!! [emoji50]

dubai has one....thats the point how frequent that i want to fly over 500m... that 1 chance that we want is just a dream...but hey p3 siblings has gone further right? so why others in family can and this p3 cannot?

Last edited:
I am not sure what the big deal is with the 500M height restriction, that's 1625' above take off altitude, much higher than needed for almost any type of filming. Is it simply that it IS a restriction? The few times I took my P2 up to 400' I got bored because you just can't see anything. The point is moot here in the US as the FAA is going to restrict Hobby flying to 400' in any case.
I routinely hit the 500m limit. The big deal is that the world isn't flat. If you film near mountains (a particular interest of mine) it can be quite frustrating.
Here is an example:

Reactions: acherman
I tried the return to home to try and get above the 500 m limit but it still wouldn't let me get any higher than 500m.

Have dji realised this and now don't let you go over 500m even in return to home mode?

Any other ways to get around this annoying restriction

I tried the return to home to try and get above the 500 m limit but it still wouldn't let me get any higher than 500m.

Have dji realised this and now don't let you go over 500m even in return to home mode?

Any other ways to get around this annoying restriction
Ya have to be standing on your right foot and have your left one off the ground for it to work jim :)

Reactions: D4T_PoM
I have noticed annoyingly that the altitude of the craft is measured from your standing or take off position. I conduct power line inspections with my P3pro. In doing so my craft is never more than 150' AGL. While following up the mountain, the craft warns that it has reached max flight altitude even though I am still just 150' AGL. The craft is however 500' in elevation from my position. Very frustrating. Anyone know a work around?

Im pretty sure you can change your max altitude to whatever you want it to be, i dont have that problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers