P3 on a plane - in hard case or backpack in cabin?

I Have a GoPro rucksack and carry on is fine, went to Greece in the summer. I use Lipo safe bags for batteries. The guys checking carry on bags at Heathrow were fine. I am flying to New Zealand soon and taking carry on again. My concern is changing planes in Dubai though - anyone had any issues.
Here is the map you need for NZ
Maps

I've flown and checked $20k worth of camera gear locked inside a Pelican case, my Phantom is in a Seahorse which feels just as durable. I'd have no fear checking it in a tough case.

It all depends on risk tolerance. I think that in general, it's better to carry on with you on the plane than checking it in. But since your carry on backpack is too big, it depends on the likelihood of them making you check it in. If you like to live on the edge...take the risk and hope they'll let you carry on your backpack. If you want to play it 100% safe...pack it in the pelican and check it in.

In my case, I like to live on the edge...heck, I even decline insurance when I rent a car.

For $30 I thought about trying one of these. Costco Wholesale
I use a cheap carry on, but on smaller flights they will not allow you to carry it onboard. I turned it over and watched them fling it onto the luggage cart. Fortunately it survived. This bag seems small enough to bring on almost any flight and is a little rigid..
That is exactly what I use for my P2's... worth every penny of $30 Fits: P2 w/ wide & tall landing gear + H3-3D gimbal w/GoPro, up to 6 batteries, Transmitter, FPV goggles, mini DVR, two full sets of props, various lens filters. Very happy with it for the price... my only wish is that it had back pack straps instead of wheels and handle... but excellent for traveling and smaller than most of the others.

Reactions: Genghis
I have no fear on the P3 getting damaged checked as luggage in a Pelican or similar hard case. My fear is the P3 case not making it to its final destination. For that reason it will be a carry on item when I travel.

ok so a little update...

Am now back from Australia, which was amazing. Am SOOO glad I took the Phantom - the places we went to film were absolutely stunning, and I got some incredible footage and photos. I'll put some up here as a sample...

Flight was fine. I went for the hard case in the hold, for all the reasons above. Didn't seem to be a problem, and they put an airline 'fragile' sticker on it. Both ways they asked me what it was and when I said it was photographic equipment they took it to a special area for it to be loaded on separately. I had a trakdot inside the case, so could track it at each stop-off and airport we got to. This was a great re-assurance, especially last night at heathrow when we waited 40 minutes for our luggage.

Having said all that, my fears about the hand luggage were not tested - they didn't weight the luggage or measure it, and as we had a whole middle row of four on our plane, there was more than enough room for anything I could have carried on. In fact as we were with two children I had two large rucksacks (on my front and back) as I boarded the plane and nobody batted an eyelid. I think you get away with a lot when you have young children with you. Still... I'm happy with my decision. I was only swabbed on one of the 4 security checks and they seemed perfectly happy with it. Have to say, though, that four lipos in a fireproof back look exactly like a bomb vest on the X-ray. I don't know how those guys can tell the difference.

All in all, I'm delighted with the trip. It was good having a backpack for beach days when I might/might not use the phantom, or for a trip to Rottnest Island where there's no cars. otherwise I used the hard case as it's so quick and easy leaving the props on. Only problem with the trip is that I'm now tempted to go full blast and get a Inspire Pro X5 for better stills. the stills I have from the phantom are certainly amazing, but they are not anywhere like the stills I got from the same locations on a D750 (obviously). Some serious head scratching to do there!

thanks again for all the advice - goes again to prove what an invaluable resourse this site (and Inspire Pilots) is.

I used a GPC limited edition backpack for my recent trip to Hawaii and it worked great! It fit in the over-head compartment perfectly with room to spare (shown below) and had no problems with TSA (they never questioned or asked me to open the bag). My friends/family were surprised when I told them I had a drone in there. Also, I was able to hike to different areas in Hawaii (beach/sand and grassy areas) and launched straight off of the backpack. I'm happy with this backpack!

IMG_3287.JPG IMG_3288.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4