P3 on a plane - in hard case or backpack in cabin?

Reaction score
I'm due to fly to Oz on saturday, and was thinking I'd take the P3P in a hard (peli-style) case that I have, on the plane. This will be as checked luggage, with the lipos obviously in my hand luggage.

However, I also own a Manfrotto D1 backpack which it will fit in, and I was wondering whether people here would advise to take it in the cabin, or to use the hard case in the hold?

I figure I can take better care of it in the cabin, but the backpack is pretty large (it exceeds the dimensions allowed by a cm or 2 for depth) and there is more risk of funny business with security potentially. I figured that as hold luggage it's just another hard case, and they are pretty indestructible.

what would you do?

Personal preference I think. I have been on two round trips with the P3 in a backpack and the downside is you have little space for anythng else like a CSC or DSLR in the hand luggage so if you are happy to check it in I would.

Security won't give you any trouble though if you do carry it, I had a swab taken from the P3 in Hamburg this summer but I think their quota was down and it looked interesting.

thanks. that is my preferred option. I have a TSA lock, and the case is rock hard.

I also have two children under 7 with me, so I will really want my hand luggage stuffed full of distractions for the 24 hours, rather than worrying about my phantom being squashed. It's going to be totally full flight too so stuff will be squashed around.

I have ordered some 'fragile, this way up' stickers for the case - is that asking for it to be used as a football, or a good precaution?

For $30 I thought about trying one of these. Costco Wholesale
I use a cheap carry on, but on smaller flights they will not allow you to carry it onboard. I turned it over and watched them fling it onto the luggage cart. Fortunately it survived. This bag seems small enough to bring on almost any flight and is a little rigid..

I flew to Montana with my P3P in a Nanuk 950 in checked baggage with no issues.
Had a TSA lock on it and a TrakDot tracker inside letting me know that it made it to Denver and then to Bozeman, Montana.

With all the other film gear that I carried on, there was no way I could take the P3P on board with me.

I have my P3P in a go professional case and always carry it on...never had a problem with security...they usually open the case and swab it but never gave me a hard time, actually had more questions about it and how cool it was than anything...I just don't trust checking it, luggage is "lost" all the time

I didn't think you could carry Lithium batteries by airlines, in any event i wouldn't ever check the case, have you seen how the employees throw those bags and luggage around?

Your P3 made it all the way from China in less packing than a Nanuk case provides. Think they handled it with kid gloves?
You get on a flight late with no space to put your P3 as carry on, it's going in the hold.

Had a flight from Denver on a regional jet and they were gate checking almost everything.

I have traveled with mine a few times. I NEVER check it, I use a hard case & carry it on. You can NEVER transport lipos in checked bags, NEVER.
You will have no problems taking it on the plane, enjoy your trip & post some vids when you get back. :)

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I have traveled with mine a few times. I NEVER check it, I use a hard case & carry it on. You can NEVER transport lipos in checked bags, NEVER.
You will have no problems taking it on the plane, enjoy your trip & post some vids when you get back. :)

What hard case do you have?

Put the Phantom in the card case and throw it 10 feet. This is what will happen if you check it. If you put fragile stickers on it, throw it 20 feet.

Lol. Do people really think that on a busy day at an airport, staff have the time or inclination to throw bags flying through the air? It is not more efficient to do that. I think it's a bit of an old wives tale.

As someone else has said - my phantom made it from Amazon to me in a cardboard box - and I'm pretty sure Amazon logistics are less careful with packages than airline baggage handlers.

I am concerned about getting all the way to the plane and then being told that it had to go in the hold - at that point I really don't want it to be in a rucksack.

Also, if I carry by hand I'm a little more concerned about what happens when we stop over at Dubai - are they more likely to give me grief than at Heathrow? Am sure hold luggage is not rescanned if hopping from one plane to another on a connection.

Nonetheless I will measure my hard case and see if is within legal dimensions. If it's possible to take onto the plane I will think about it. But I'm not doing that in a backpack.

What hard case do you have?
I have the Tradecraft with wheels. It is no bigger than the rolley boards everyone else has. Fits overhead in regular sized aircraft (Airbus320, etc).

Lol. Do people really think that on a busy day at an airport, staff have the time or inclination to throw bags flying through the air? It is not more efficient to do that. I think it's a bit of an old wives tale.

As someone else has said - my phantom made it from Amazon to me in a cardboard box - and I'm pretty sure Amazon logistics are less careful with packages than airline baggage handlers.

I am concerned about getting all the way to the plane and then being told that it had to go in the hold - at that point I really don't want it to be in a rucksack.

Also, if I carry by hand I'm a little more concerned about what happens when we stop over at Dubai - are they more likely to give me grief than at Heathrow? Am sure hold luggage is not rescanned if hopping from one plane to another on a connection.

Nonetheless I will measure my hard case and see if is within legal dimensions. If it's possible to take onto the plane I will think about it. But I'm not doing that in a backpack.
I have watched bags fall from an open cargo door down 15 or 20 feet to the tarmac. Haven't you ever had a window seat on the right side of the jet and watched them load the luggage? Luggage will fall off the side of the loading belt every so often too. I prefer to be in control of my UAV and if it doesn't fit overhead they will gate check it which is still better than regular checked luggage.

G'day,
I'm Australian and currently traveling abroad, have my P3A in my axtion xtras backpack and have flown from home in BNE-LAX with QANTAS and then down to Bogota in Colombia with Avianca. Currently on my second bus trip with it.
Lipo's are fine as carry on as long as they're under a certain size as the phantom batteries are. I am carrying 3 with me. I will also suggest carrying them at around 30-50% charge.

Dave

true. I have seen that. But my case is a) too large and b) too heavy (even without batteries) according to Emirates' regulations.

I'm not trying to disagree with your point, but I guess it comes down to a case of "which is the least bad option?"

A) Peli case in the hold
B) soft rucksack in the cabin, which may get mashed, or checked in, or both.

On balance I'd have thought option A represented less risk. People transport stuff in Peli cases all the time in the hold (it's one of their main purposes i'd have thought), and is a Phantom really much more susceptible to damage than another piece if equipment (a laptop/lens/camcorder etc)?

G'day,
I'm Australian and currently traveling abroad, have my P3A in my axtion xtras backpack and have flown from home in BNE-LAX with QANTAS and then down to Bogota in Colombia with Avianca. Currently on my second bus trip with it.
Lipo's are fine as carry on as long as they're under a certain size as the phantom batteries are. I am carrying 3 with me. I will also suggest carrying them at around 30-50% charge.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Good to know.

Every sit in a plane looking out the window as they load luggage? They park the tram several feet away from the conveyer belt, stand in the middle and toss the luggage from where they are standing onto the belt. It's easier to pull the item off the tram and just swing it onto the belt.

Shippers don't need move the items 10', back and forth. I've never seen my UPS guy toss a package. I've seen _plenty_ of baggage handlers toss luggage.

Man, I know that feeling! As long as it meets the carry on dimensions, you should be fine. I've flown with my drone many times as carry on. Never any issues. If they ever want to check it I'll just mention that it has lipo batteries and I've rather not carrier them in my lap. I'm betting that they can easily find room inside of the plane.

Not to Dubai but I've heard from friends who fly over-seas that at some point they switch planes and have to carry and recheck their checked bags. Just something to consider.

I think the safest bet is to make sure it's at or _very_ close to carry on size.

I might be flying to London next year so I'll be going through the same thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj