P3 now has new motors, Panasonic SD Card, what else??

This is not true in my case. I have a P3P that does not have any mention of W322A on the box and it has the new motors.
It does have W322A on the sticker on the P3P though.

That is correct the W322A only shows on the p3a. I know there is no such number on the pro. Hence the only way to tell is by the picture on the box. That's the only indication so far from my findings.

Joeyjoe, did u meant to say that on your p3a it has that number ? I think u made a typo.

That is correct the W322A only shows on the p3a. I know there is no such number on the pro. Hence the only way to tell is by the picture on the box. That's the only indication so far from my findings.

Joeyjoe, did u meant to say that on your p3a it has that number ? I think u made a typo.

Sorry, yes. W323A is on my bird, not W322A.
Guess that is the DJI designator: 322=Advanced and 323=Pro.

Sorry, yes. W323A is on my bird, not W322A.
Guess that is the DJI designator: 322=Advanced and 323=Pro.

Joeyjoe,

Would you mind posting a picture of all the box stickers of your p3 pro..you can hide your serial number.
I wasn't even aware that the pro had a number assigned to it. If you confirm that the pro box indeed says 323A then that might be another way of telling if it's a newer model..I would really appreciate it.

Joeyjoe,

Would you mind posting a picture of all the box stickers of your p3 pro..you can hide your serial number.
I wasn't even aware that the pro had a number assigned to it. If you confirm that the pro box indeed says 323A then that might be another way of telling if it's a newer model..I would really appreciate it.

The box does not have that model number on it, it is only on the sticker on the P3P itself.

I bought my P3P at Best Buy and I have 45 days left to return/exchange. I'm hopping they get new shipment in with the updated model. If not I'll return it and wait for them to receive the new P3P.

I bought my P3P at Best Buy and I have 45 days left to return/exchange. I'm hopping they get new shipment in with the updated model. If not I'll return it and wait for them to receive the new P3P.
No need for this paranoia.
You won't be able to notice any difference in performance with the new motors.
Whichever motors you have, the P3 flies very well.

Yea honestly if your machine is working fine don't worry about it. If you haven't opened the box yet it might be worth looking into

I've had both old and new motors. It's the shell that you want to worry about more, not the motors.

So maybe I should then look into the swap more for the shell then and I guess just have the new motors just because.

Well there's no denying that old motors heat a lot more than the newer ones. Heat and plastic don't go along very well as we know. Combine that with all the cycles of going from hot to cold to hot cold and so on.. The plastic shell could become brittle over time close to the motor mounts and thus stress cracks can develop easily.

Alirz .. since you joined all you've posted is paranoia about new motors vs original motors.
You ignore any suggestions that there's no problem and come back with maybe this, possibly that ...
Do you have a Phantom 3?
Do you have any evidence at all that there's a problem?

I'm not trying to cause paranoia. In fact I joined to ask questions about this whole scenario with the new motors , shells etc....in fact I fell a victim to these rumours and ended up sending back my p3a that I just bought over a month ago. This thread existed long before I joined this forum, so no I'm. It the one whose started this ....
It's free discussion...have you see me tell anyone not to get the phantom with the older motor or otherwise?
In any case, if you go out to buy something and you realize there's two models of the same thing, one is one newer than the other, which one would you buy?

I will say this, when buying from a dealer be sure to check your internal flight data and make sure that it starts with FLY001. This widespread paranoia has to be flooding the dealers with perfectly good used Phantoms that some may try to turn around and sell as new.....

but keep in mind DJI does test fly these so there will either be a few missing or a few already on there

Happened to me

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, I think it would make sense to try to buy the phantom 3 advanced with the new engines if possible. I will see if any are available in store.

Well there's no denying that old motors heat a lot more than the newer ones. Heat and plastic don't go along very well as we know. Combine that with all the cycles of going from hot to cold to hot cold and so on.. The plastic shell could become brittle over time close to the motor mounts and thus stress cracks can develop easily.
I actually can back it up. its true about the heat. very true
Forums are full of factoids .. ie information that becomes accepted as a fact even though it’s not actually true, or an invented fact believed to be true because it appears in print.
I just went out and flew 3 batteries back to back and can't get my original motors any thing more than just barely warm.
Until I see real numbers or something more than some guy on a forum saying that the original motors run hot, I'm going to remain skeptical.

Forums are full of factoids .. ie information that becomes accepted as a fact even though it’s not actually true, or an invented fact believed to be true because it appears in print.
So true... Like these guys swearing "this is illegal" and "that is illegal" and then can quote no such law saying as such, but others pick it up and go on spewing crap about how this or that is illegal and everyone just accepts it. Take everything with a grain of salt.

to[/QUOTE I'm not goi]
there is proof on this website on how hot the original motors get.
I just went out and flew 3 batteries back to back and can't get my original motors any thing more than just barely warm.
Until I see real numbers or something more than some guy on a forum saying that the original motors run hot, I'm going to remain skeptical.

this proof?

Cracking the P3 crack | DJI Phantom Forum

Proof? That photo proves nothing but reading the whole thread proves something quite interesting. It shows that the original motors don't have a heat problem at all - and this was worked out a month ago. But the myth persisted and is still being rehashed on the forum.
Reading through that thread shows that the actual temperatures reached were:

29 deg for red and 25 for Yellow. Blue was 20. So it is 30% increase but that was only after 1 minute of hovering. I will do a 20 min flight this afternoon and measure again. If it is not reaching 40 degrees heat will be a non issue and the plastics re-inforcements will work.

After 30 minutes of flight (2 batteries) in an ambient sunny temperature of around 25 degrees C the max temperature that the motors reached was 38 on the bottom of the plastic.

With my limited knowledge of plastics I will concur with what a few said in this thread - It is not of such great concern.

So the max temp reached was 117°F or 38°C .. just a little warmer than body temperature and nothing that could be considered hot and nothing that should be a concern with ABS plastic.
This matches my own observations from the two P3s I have experience with which zero signs of cracking as well as many others I have heard of second hand.
I suspect this is a good indication that only some P3s had the problem, most likely due to a bad batch of plastic or poor moulding technique.

That thread proves that the hypothesis of excess heat in the original motors is a problem is simply not true. All the posts further concerned about the presumed heat problem of older motors and superiority of new ones can't be taken seriously.
When you ignore real evidence and chase unsubstantiated rumours and forum factoids, you are usually wasting time and effort.

Reactions: rowdyjim
Proof? That photo proves nothing but reading the whole thread proves something quite interesting. It shows that the original motors don't have a heat problem at all - and this was worked out a month ago. But the myth persisted and is still being rehashed on the forum.
Reading through that thread shows that the actual temperatures reached were:

29 deg for red and 25 for Yellow. Blue was 20. So it is 30% increase but that was only after 1 minute of hovering. I will do a 20 min flight this afternoon and measure again. If it is not reaching 40 degrees heat will be a non issue and the plastics re-inforcements will work.

After 30 minutes of flight (2 batteries) in an ambient sunny temperature of around 25 degrees C the max temperature that the motors reached was 38 on the bottom of the plastic.

With my limited knowledge of plastics I will concur with what a few said in this thread - It is not of such great concern.

So the max temp reached was 117°F or 38°C .. just a little warmer than body temperature and nothing that could be considered hot and nothing that should be a concern with ABS plastic.
This matches my own observations from the two P3s I have experience with which zero signs of cracking as well as many others I have heard of second hand.
I suspect this is a good indication that only some P3s had the problem, most likely due to a bad batch of plastic or poor moulding technique.

That thread proves that the hypothesis of excess heat in the original motors is a problem is simply not true. All the posts further concerned about the presumed heat problem of older motors and superiority of new ones can't be taken seriously.
When you ignore real evidence and chase unsubstantiated rumours and forum factoids, you are usually wasting time and effort.

I've had both 2 versions of the P3A. The old motors and old shell(flat tabs no x with a glossy finish) and now the new motors with new shell(pointy tabs with x and a matte finish)

I have flown them both in the same day in the same conditions. It was clear to me that the older motors did run Warmer than the new motors. I cannot say how much warmer but it was very noticeable to me.

After running the old motors I could feel the heat coming from the motors directly as well as the plastic below them. The new motors I could not feel any increase in heat on the plastic. I am no expert in plastic but I can say that the heat on the older motors was not troubling to me or excessive in my opinion. This Phantom cracked twice. Once in its first two flights(before I attached quick release prop guards) and then once again on another arm the very first flight after I took the prop guards back off because I was getting ready to return it. I was aware not to over tighten the screws.

I do believe that biggest issue that the phantom had that was causing the cracks was the durability of the shell itself and not so much the motors.

But that being said I do believe it would naive to think that the new motors would not help correct this issue further because of the less heat that is impacting the plastic under the motor.

If I received a new phantom right now. The only model that I would try and get a replacement for would be the old motors with the old shell.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic