Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Advanced P3 mp4 video not playing on Android

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Taylor23, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Taylor23

I have a phantom 3 and when I take Mp4 video with it. Pull the memory card out. Put it in my android it will not play the video. I've tried on multiple Android devices. I've tried installing mp4 players on my Android device and it still will not play the video. I have a GoPro and record mp4 video and when I pull the memory card out and put it in my android tablet or phone it plays just fine. I called DJI and asked them about this and they did not have an answer for me. They told me to ask the question on the form. Does anybody else have this problem? I cannot play or edit video on Android devices with the Phantom 3. Pictures is OK just not video.

2. bbfpv

is it 4k video? which tablet? does the file play on your pc?

3. Taylor23

1080 video.. Samsung tab s, Samsung Note 4 ,Asus transformer. Yes the video will play on my PC XP in Windows Media Player just fine just not on Android.

4. bbfpv

install VLC on your tablet and try to play it with that.

5. DEaston

I agree with bbfpv. VLC will play files that other video players cannot.

6. Taylor23

Yes vlc works..... but it's very slow... like slow motion....and there's stuff at the bottom of the screen...
    The question is why will any other mp4 video play on Android just not the video I take with my phantom 3? It just doesn't seem right. I think something is wrong with my camera. Can any of you play video/mp4 on an android from a phantom 3?

Attached Files:

7. SouthernPhantom

There are many types of mp4 videos. It's not just a single rigid type of file, it's a "container" with variations in its codec. And as you know, mp4 videos can be different sizes and densities. If it's playing on your computer (and many mp4 videos don't, because older/slower computers can't keep up) your Phantom is probably OK. You might consider uploading your videos to YouTube or Vimeo, using their recommended compressions, and watch them on your phone that way.

#7 SouthernPhantom, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  8. III% Streve

Its not surprising that it wont play very well. Phones and tablets don't have the power to process raw data like that. Many computers wont do too well either without significant assistance.

SouthernPhantom likes this.
  9. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Try copying the mp4 file to the tablet's storage rather than just running from the card and see if that makes a difference.

10. StevenQX

Use MX Player and enable hardware+ decoder. On my note 4 play very well.

11. bbfpv

Go into settings in VLC and under Hardware Acceleration turn on Full Acceleration. The "stuff" on the bottom of the screen is telemetry and camera info on the bird. Disable captions in the GO app if you don't like them.

There's nothing wrong with your camera, or the video would behave the same way on your PC...

12. freetimed

I supply a powerful MP4 to Android converter-Avdshare Video Converter, which can convert MP4 to Android supporting format like MPEG-4 or H.264 AVC, thus play MP4 on Android phones or tablets.

13. henri2398

Have you tried MX Player or VLC media player from Play store to play your P3 MP4 video. If not then you can download these player from play store and see if you are able to play the video or not.

If not then you can convert P3 Mp4 video to simple mp4 video and then you can play it on any Android devices with ease.

14. sads45

I just tested that the 1080p video at 50fps that I recorded on my P3A plays without any problem on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S using the VLC app. I also tried the built in Video Player but that did not like the format of the recorded video.