P3 Motor failure, caught during preflight

ctp

Reaction score
I guess one advantage of the backpack and taking my rotors on an off is I get an opportunity to touch and test the motors every day.

Putting on the rotors today one was very stiff and did not spin normally, trying to spin by hand gave me a chunky sound an obvious resistance, possibly similar to magnet coming loose and contacting the rotor?

I carefully inspected the motor for foreign materials and applied canned air just as well. A strong flashlight confirmed the lack of foreign materials inside the motor housing suggesting that the failure is either a bearing or a loose magnet.

Are my only choices 3 months at DJI repair or replacing the motor myself?

Are my only choices 3 months at DJI repair or replacing the motor myself?
A 3rd option would be to have an authorized DJI dealer do the replacement so you don't void your warranty.

Yep decision time. I think DJI is running 7-9 weeks turn around currently. Amazon the 2312 motor is $22.45 . Not sure what a repair facility would charge.

Bummer for you, sorry. But good video on what to look for, and the importance of pre-flight checks!

let me know if you need help with replacing the motor. motor is about $20 + time if you don't feel like replacing yourself.
i'm located in MN

Reactions: ctp
One of my motors is also very stiff but it came like that from the service so i guess its not bad but mine is not rattling like yours, its just very stiff compared to the others.

Yep decision time. I think DJI is running 7-9 weeks turn around currently. Amazon the 2312 motor is $22.45 . Not sure what a repair facility would charge.

My dealer is new, Expertdrones.com in Virginia, but they now have a kiosk at a local mall and claim to do authorized repairs. I'll give them a call.

I don't mind replacing the motor myself, but dread the potential warranty issues.

Its not hard to replace the motor. Just have to take off the top shell and disconnect GPS wire. And obviously the screws holding the shell together. You also have to desolder motor wires solder the new motor back and if you don't have experience doing that then your best bet is to find someone that does and it will be a breeze for them. I'm sure you could look on Craigslist for an experienced tech. Maybe a computer store in your neighborhood would do it for you?

Its not hard to replace the motor. Just have to take off the top shell and disconnect GPS wire. And obviously the screws holding the shell together. You also have to desolder motor wires solder the new motor back and if you don't have experience doing that then your best bet is to find someone that does and it will be a breeze for them. I'm sure you could look on Craigslist for an experienced tech. Maybe a computer store in your neighborhood would do it for you?

I've got plenty of soldering experience, since at least the mid eighties. My only concern is warranty.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl