P3 Mod to Drop item

Should be easy enough. Drape the cargo around the camera lens and lift off then hit the "left user button." Camera twists to ground view, and your cargo slides off. Kidding really. But you get the idea. Would not want to trash my gimbal doing that. Heh.

Actually I have a mod for my P1. I use the extra channel to toggle a servo. The servo system unlatches and drops my cargo. I use it to drop pull lines into the top of trees for ham radio antennas. Works like a dream.

Wonder if there are any extra channels to plug a servo into on our P3's?

Illegal I think. Just loop it over the camera and when you are ready tilt the camera down.
Cannot imagine why dropping a pull string into the top of my trees would be illegal!?! Is this forum run by the phantom nazis? (Joke).

Reactions: Sammynels
Cannot imagine why dropping a pull string into the top of my trees would be illegal!?! Is this forum run by the phantom nazis? (Joke).
No, just the FAA, oh wait, same thing.
I don't know how the retracting landing gear works but maybe you could rig up something with that.

Doncha just love how these crybabies will say, "That's illegal!" but none of them can cite statutes?

ETA: But then again, I guess the same applies to the FAA.

Thus, I humbly retract my statement about "crybabies" (...FAA included.)

Dropping light weight Life Preservers, First Aid kits, lightweight life lines to pull rescue ropes, packs of Quick-Clot, tourniquets, all that other rubbish and such to people in distress....yep, sounds like pure evil to me.

Now if y'all will excuse me...this drone is obviously trying to steal my soul (...cameras do that, you know)

Last edited:
The FAA doesn't care as long as the drop doesn't endanger any person or property on the ground. In the proposed Part 107 rules, dropping anything would be prohibited, so that may be where the confusion comes from. For now a safe drop is perfectly legal.

You might want to use a keychain remote like this and a solenoid.
Or take apart an RC toy car for the receiver and one servo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers