Marking your P3 for registration purposes

Oso

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Part of the ruling announced today regarding registration in the US beginning on December 21 pertains to marking our P3s. You can use the P3 serial number if you choose, or use the FAA issued registration number.

One good thing I see today that I didn't see in the initial recommendation last month is that marking inside of the battery compartment is considered "readily accessible."

If you are in the US and you decide to comply with the registration and marking regulations, where are you planning to mark your P3?
Somewhere on the outer shell? If so, where?
In the battery compartment?

Marking.JPG

Update - the snippet above was taken from the DOT/FAA final ruling document published today, but its from a part of today's document that was providing a summary of the recent task force recommendations. It seems that later in the document it is clearer that the recommendation of using your P3's serial number was discarded in the final ruling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Joe
I will prefer existing P3 serial number. No hassles.

I will prefer existing P3 serial number. No hassles.
I agree. I think I will also choose to provide the serial number as part of the registration and use that. I do already have mine marked with my AMA number, so I guess I will leave that and just go with the serial number as the official "marking" to be compliant. I do like that they have now added inside the battery compartment. I'm guessing that the folks who have their P3's wrapped will appreciate that allowance for sure.

I would make a label with the FAA issued number. That way if you sell the unit just remove the label. Using the Serial number ties that number to you. Not sure how you would disassociate your name from the serial number in the FAA database

I would make a label with the FAA issued number. That way if you sell the unit just remove the label. Using the Serial number ties that number to you. Not sure how you would disassociate your name from the serial number in the FAA database
Q. What happens if I sell my drone?

A. You should log on to the registration website and update your registration information. We also strongly encourage you to remove your registration number from the drone before the transfer of ownership.

I would make a label with the FAA issued number. That way if you sell the unit just remove the label. Using the Serial number ties that number to you. Not sure how you would disassociate you name from the serial number in the FAA database
Another thing is if you have multiple drones and/or other aircraft. Using the FAA issued number might make more sense in that case. In my case, I dont plan to have more than one or plan to ever sell my current P3A.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this applies to R?C MultiRotors, airplanes, and helicopters so some people could have several aircraft. Thank goodness it's only "Operator" registration and not each aircraft.

I'm not so sure that DJI serial numbers will be accepted. The FAA document explains on page 124 (last paragraph) thru the middle of P. 125 why serial numbers are problematic - not every UAS has one and those that do don't necessarily have a unique one. Also on P.129 (last paragraph) it specifies that the registration number/identifier must be unique. That paragraph also goes on to explain the two (2) options the "Task Force" recommended: A. FAA Issued unique number B. the manufacturer serial number "...that is permanently affixed to the aircraft." and is reported at the time of initial registration. My new P3P does not have a S/N affixed to the aircraft anywhere that I can find - not even in the battery bay. My OEM box does have a S/N along with other aircraft component S/Ns. I'm just saying mine doesn't, and that the FAA may not accept one not affixed to the aircraft by DJI.

The is from the FAA site:
"Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft."

They will give you a ID# to use. You must use that one.
Not up to you to choose whatever you want to use.
You will need to use the FAA supplied number to comply with the regs.

The IFR Requirement paragraph on P.130 specifies the FAA decision on marking only as the "unique identifier". It rejects any other information as "required". Page 131 explains why the AMA number was also rejected as a unique number at this time. This being a government and legal document, there are several sort of apparent conflicts. You have to go to the actual specified requirements placed throughout the document to discover what is really "required". 211 pages is not a simple read and one shouldn't have to wade through all that just to find out what is required; but you do. It is what it is I guess. There are businesses on the web that specialize in making number labels just for this. Some are for the "N..." numbers, but this registration will not be using that type of number. I'm sure they will adapt, and I plan to get them to make mine. I hope the "New" FAA website works next week, at least better than the last government upgraded and improved user friendly one did!!!

You guys may be right. The snippet above in post #1 is from page 32 of the very same document that you are referencing. It notes that a serial number may be used if the operator chooses to provide it. That page appears to be only a summary of what was recommended a few weeks ago by the task force. The task force recommended the ability to use a serial number, but it seems that the final ruling discarded their recommendation.

Now even more than before, where are you planning to affix this mark to your P3?

I already have my AMA number and my mobile phone number affixed to the body and to the gimbal. I guess now in light of more info regarding the serial number, I will affix the newly issued registration number inside the battery compartment. That's assuming of course that the final ruling doesn't also discard that recommendation.

Last edited:
The is from the FAA site:
"Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft."

They will give you a ID# to use. You must use that one.
Not up to you to choose whatever you want to use.
You will need to use the FAA supplied number to comply with the regs.
Keep in mind that the web site is not active yet, so specific (actual) requirements are not necessarily set just yet. The FAA document does not specify exactly if the Task Force recommendation was accepted as far as "...permanently affixed serial number.." is concerned. They only specify a "Unique" number. I agree with you about what they are saying on the website now about what you will provide, but it isn't unheard of for that to change either before the "go live" or even afterward.

Keep in mind that the web site is not active yet, so specific (actual) requirements are not necessarily set just yet. The FAA document does not specify exactly if the Task Force recommendation was accepted as far as "...permanently affixed serial number.." is concerned. They only specify a "Unique" number. I agree with you about what they are saying on the website now about what you will provide, but it isn't unheard of for that to change either before the "go live" or even afterward.
Upon further reading, it sure sounds like they plan to disregard the task force recommendation about having a choice to use the given number or your current serial number. No big deal really. The most surprising thing to me is that they are allowing the number to be affixed in the battery compartment.

Not many people have chimed in about what they plan to do. It may be too early still, but I'd guess most will print a label and stick it in the battery compartment.

UAS Registration Q&A

Q: What is the penalty for failing to register?

A: Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

UAS Registration Q&A

Q: What is the penalty for failing to register?

A: Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.
Good to know, I'll just claim ignorance and get a warning for first offense.

Upon further reading, it sure sounds like they plan to disregard the task force recommendation about having a choice to use the given number or your current serial number. No big deal really. The most surprising thing to me is that they are allowing the number to be affixed in the battery compartment.

Not many people have chimed in about what they plan to do. It may be too early still, but I'd guess most will print a label and stick it in the battery compartment.
I'll just update my AMA required labels to include the new registration # for hobby aircraft. Each one has the label in some inconspicuous but easy to find location on the aircraft. My commercial aircraft already has numbers "As large as is possible".

Reactions: Oso
So what is the end goal here, who enforces a no fly zone ? I don't mind registering but what happens next. put up "no drone zones" everywhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie