P3 lost in Charles River

Another reason why flight logging is a great thing to have.
Tahoe Ed or Blade Strike, can't remember, posted you will be able to view telemetry data including stick movements on the app while playing back the flight. Whether DJI will ever bring that out remains to be seen. But with that data it should be clear whether a CSC caused a crash.
There also appears to be motor revolution logging, that will be useful to check whether crashes were caused from flying off blades. And naturally battery logging.
It will at least be a more "scientific approach" to determining a crash.
Just hope DJI bring it out soon or that someone creates an app in the next could of weeks with all the logging features using the SDK .

Katie, did you send the logs to DJI?
It's hard to believe you accidentally hit CSC in flight.
Unless you were doing extreme crazy stunt flying, it's just not going to happen.

Im going to start looking at things differently. Hopefully by the time my copter arrives most of the bugs will be out and on the table.

Thanks for clearing that up. My bad. I remember the thread a few months ago where the guy(there were actually a couple of guys, can't remember the other one) with the same first initial and last name as you recommended cutting the motor winding wires where they extend to the esc. and replacing them with thicker, stranded wires. I really thought this was some very bad advice and when I saw your name was so similar, I came to the wrong conclusion and assumed you were the same person.

I agree with what your opinion of the situation, I suspected the mosfets from the beginning.

I'll agree that DJI's soldering is certainly not the best and checking the solder joints can never hurt. Thanks for understanding.

careful - this is not the thread to re-activate the "thread from hell topic" and I do not consider it bad advise. It was a correct position to safeguard against a failed design.

Since I have no problem with "soldering" I changed the wires to 18 ga. stranded and I'm glad I did due to the original wires heat shrink was braking down.

Basic Ohm's law state 2 - 30 ga. solid wires (aka. motor winding) lacquered and soldered the way they were in my quad will get hot due to resistance versus the stranded wire solution and solid wire will not carry as much current as stranded wires. Let alone the vibration factor of a cold solder joint with lacquered wire....

Last edited:
I can't see enough evidence that there's anything to worry about yet.
Cars crash every day but people don't worry about going for a drive.
There are thousands of Phantom 3s out there and some will crash - for a lot of different reasons. That 1 or 2 or 3 crash isn't reason to get anxious. Wait till you have a lot more information.

I really doubt there are "thousands of P3's" out there yet.

Reactions: Gearie
So far the buying experience has shown me zero customer service ability or desire. How are they at standing by product? Did you just flush $1300. I am nervous as a first time drone owner (on order) and can't afford that kind of loss. Also I notice a lot of videos with props in frame. No limiter obviously.
That prop footage sucks bad . That is 1 obvious and huge difference between Inspire and Phantom 3p for sure.

Last edited:
Dji is going to slowly learn that now that they are manufacturing product that video professionals desire they will have to step up their support services bigtime. I love DJI but I am reading alot about their lack of warrantee and support for their aerial products.

So you are not the J. James who goes by the name "burlbark" in these forums and who also signs his posts with "Jeremy James"? If not, then I was wrong and apologize for the part about esc wires, because that is EXACTLY what that J. James suggests and offers a paid service to do. You are still wrong about the solder joints on the power line though, and I have been doing electrical soldering probably long before your mother even decided to bring you into this world.

I think I have somebody trying to copy my business and have had a couple companies already stealing my pictures. I go by Burlbark on here and my name is Jeremy James owner of USdronerepair.com

I was not wrong about the power leads on the V3. Dji has acknowledged their fault and is using vibration dampening adhesive on all solid motor leads. This includes the P3.

Jeremy James

Yes, CSC is possible in flight. It's there as an emergency stop method.
No, you are more than unlikely to accidentally do a CSC while flying.
What kind of manoeuvre do you think you'd be trying to make that you'd accidentally use the sticks to make your Phantom go full speed backwards-sideways at the same time it is going full descent-rotating anticlockwise?

Call me stupid, but if this is possible then is it also possible for the props to stop spinning when doing a "full" descent? - Ie holding down on the left stick for 3 seconds or more will turn the motors off?

So far the buying experience has shown me zero customer service ability or desire. How are they at standing by product? Did you just flush $1300. I am nervous as a first time drone owner (on order) and can't afford that kind of loss. Also I notice a lot of videos with props in frame. No limiter obviously.

If you can't afford to crash an rc your probably in the wrong hobby... Just saying. Fly safe and smart! Props only show on fast forward flight with gimbal level. Angle down a bit and they are mostly gone unless you hit a big gust. This is my 1st real quad... It's the most amazing electronic device I have ever owned by a long shot. If its your 1st I highly suggest getting a cheap toy quad for 50-60$ to practice with. The phantom will be easy after that. I went with the syma x5c 1.

Call me stupid, but if this is possible then is it also possible for the props to stop spinning when doing a "full" descent? - Ie holding down on the left stick for 3 seconds or more will turn the motors off?
It won't shut off while it's descending.

I won't call you stupid but props until the Phantom lands and stops descending for 3 seconds.
Left stick down is the standard way to descend and you don't have to worry about it.
You'll note that in the manual DJI don't have any warning about it.
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

Last edited:
I think I have somebody trying to copy my business and have had a couple companies already stealing my pictures. I go by Burlbark on here and my name is Jeremy James owner of USdronerepair.com

I was not wrong about the power leads on the V3. Dji has acknowledged their fault and is using vibration dampening adhesive on all solid motor leads. This includes the P3.

Jeremy James

Your recommendation to tear out wires and replace them was irresponsible and unnecessary. Your further advice to P2V+ owners suggesting they will all fail at some point if this is not done is almost as bad. If you want, I can dig up the posts and show where you made these comments. I respect all the work you do and the help you have given forum members, but bad advice is bad advice.

Reactions: StevenQX
Meta4, have you ever tested the multiple corners = CSC routine? Ie., you picture above shows TWO sets of lower corners; my manual on p2v= shows just the down and toward each other for CSC. Another post I have seen shows CSC as ALL 4 sets of corners - even up and in & up and out on both sticks. If THAT is true, then I can see me inadvertently doing a CSC someday - I catch myself sometimes full rise, full speed ahead and turning in a circle for camera picture while doing it: ie., left stick up and right corner and right stick up and left corner... I hope those are NOT valid csc commands.

For me to test them, I would have to bolt my p2 down as just about everytime I have tried CSC on ground I flip it over and bust props.... Would prefer an answer from an expert like you instead of buying more props again. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj