P3 lost in Charles River

Will do, and hopefully an iPad Mini 2 w Retina if they get the IOS app up. Otherwise, I'll be forced to buy an Android device - not sure if the iPad screen is large enough or not, or if I should get something larger...

How could it get to the "cloud" w/o a connection to the net? It's stored on your device and uploaded when you hit the sync button in the app, which obviously requires some form of a data connection on your device.
Yes, the info is on your device but you have no way of getting it so when you upload it they will have the info. I'm curious to know how the status of the device (tablet/phone) affect this.

3 "flyaways" out of thousands.
And it must be DJI's fault because people are posting that it wasn't theirs in message boards (the ultimate evidence).
Yeah... DJI better restructure their whole business.
Some good reading for those worried: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics

The P3 has only just been released and so far only a very limited number of people have had theirs delivered and even then probably only limited opportunities to fly.

So I doubt at this stage its thousands of flights and just 3 issues. If there is an issue it may well be one of those that only happens in certain circumstances. If it happened all the time DJI would have spotted and fixed the issue before release.

Its uncertain at this point if there is a fault but it'd be crazy for DJI to not at least investigate them.

Hopefully over the next few weeks we'll know for sure whether its a genuine issue.

Lots of software has bugs - its just with a quadcopter when it fails it can do so disastrously!

Been flying tours over Boston in a helicopter for a couple of years, and that's pretty close to Logan. So what does the quad do when getting inside that airspace? Does it return or just land?

Reactions: desertcat
Been flying tours over Boston in a helicopter for a couple of years, and that's pretty close to Logan. So what does the quad do when getting inside that airspace? Does it return or just land?
I mapped it. It's 3 miles from Logan. Probably not a good idea to begin with.

Its a pity DJI is not making any telemetry data available to users in a CSV format but keep it "secret" in ASCII format. With a CSV file you could synch the telemetry data with the actual footage using Dashware which is free now.
Currently the only logged telemetry available is through the flight log video which does not show much.
I don't understand what the reason behind this is.

Its a pity DJI is not making any telemetry data available to users in a CSV format but keep it "secret" in ASCII format. With a CSV file you could synch the telemetry data with the actual footage using Dashware which is free now.
Currently the only logged telemetry available is through the flight log video which does not show much.
I don't understand what the reason behind this is.
I am hoping this is something the SDK can remedy.

Being that the phantom 3 is product made by DJI It would probably be just as good advise as it is on every other phantom to not fly it in till you have had a chance to open up the shell and actually solder the power wires properly and not have to take chances relying on the soldering job done by 6 year old kids. A wire suddenly coming off in flight is a common cause of them just suddenly going dead and just dropping like a brick. Being that if it were just a ESC or a motor giving out it would still have video feed of a horrific crash as it flips and tumbles to the ground. Tho with out being able to recover the down bird its not going to be to possible to see if a failed solder joint was the case or not.

Absolutely absurd advice and suggestions. Out of tens of thousands of P2V+ V3 and P3 quads flown, there have been a handful of problems and complaints. So you suggest all owners should rip out the existing wires to the esc or power and replace them, creating MORE solder joints and a greater chance of failiure.

Wait, don't tell me, you will gladly "upgrade" anyone's wiring for a price, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: leekiya
It's logged on the SD card and the device hooked up to the Tx. It doesn't hit the "cloud" until you have a data connection and hit the sync button.
Sorry I have one more question, so the log stays on the SD card in the Phantom? If it crashes the log will be lost forever?

Absolutely absurd advice and suggestions. Out of tens of thousands of P2V+ V3 and P3 quads flown, there have been a handful of problems and complaints. So you suggest all owners should rip out the existing wires to the esc or power and replace them, creating MORE solder joints and a greater chance of failiure.

Wait, don't tell me, you will gladly "upgrade" anyone's wiring for a price, right?

And if you open up your P3 you also void your warranty.

Reactions: Jstic
And if you open up your P3 you also void your warranty.
I'm so glad I didn't open my V3, had an electrical engineer buddy ready to "fix" it also. I wouldn't have been able to return it and then get a P3. Don't mess with anything until after the warranty period is up!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1