Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

P3 Lens cover removal issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Kubacz, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Jeff Kubacz

I just purchased an ND filter for my P3. I am not able to unscrew the camera lens cover no mater how I grip it. Next step would be pliers but I do not want to do that.

Anybody have this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks!

Jeff

2. flormo2002

This has been covered before but it does unscrew and I didn't have a problem with it. If your fingers are dry, maybe put on some latex gloves of some sort to remove

3. Jeff Kubacz

Flormo2002,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried one of those rubber pads you use to remove jar lids...no luck.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

The UV filter is very fragile, so you definitely do not want to use tools and/or excess force to remove it. The harder you grip it, the harder it'll be to remove. Make sure you're twisting it to the left and grip it with as little pressure as possible.

5. rockydog

A trick that often works is to put an elastic band round the filter.

6. FotoGeek

A tip that worked for me. Do not try to force it..it's not put on super tight so strength is not what will remove it. You have to get a nice grip with just enough pressure to unscrew it just right as the threads are very tiny. The more force you try to apply the harder it seems to be to remove it.

7. DAP-UAV

Yes a nice big rubber band, counterclockwise. In a nice warm room.

8. dixter

all of the suggestions above are good... I tried for a couple days ( on and off ) to get mine off and it seemed be stuck... I then just grabbed it with two fingers at the very edge of the lens and just fiddled with it... when it finally comes loose its like magic... it just sorta pops loose.... don't try to force it... no reason to do that... take your time with it... it will pop loose if you keep at it...

9. HueJorgan

Latex gloves worked for me

10. RedHotPoker

"Like a surgeon, cutting for the very first time." Hahaha

There was a method in other threads of wrapping string around the body of it, to get a firm grip all the way around it, to coax it loose. ;-)

RedHotPoker

11. Jeff Kubacz

Thanks to all who tried to help. Still have not been able to remove lens cover.

12. gringorio

I've tried everything suggested here too without luck. Next I'm going to try warming the lens (maybe with a blow dryer) with hope that the associated expansion, even if slight, will do the trick. If that doesn't work I'll use a hammer.

13. Mako79

What P3 do you have. Pro and Adv and new 4K has removable UV lens Cover. The standard is fixed.
    You need to remember that its a double edge sword when removing the lens cover. The more strength you apply, the harder it is to remove. If you press hard, it will microscopically warp the ring and cause the 'teeth' to bite more. Try an oversized the rubber band. Place over the it over the ring and pinch the excess to form a figure 8. Used the pinched end to turn so you don't touch the lens.

QuadBart likes this.
  14. Jeff Kubacz

I found a solution!
    My lens cover is off. No damage to the camera! Get some Velcro Tape and use the half that is grippy. Cut enough length to wrap around the lens. Trim to about 3/8th inch wide. Put sticky side around lens and turn. Cover should come free--remove Velcro. There may or may not be sticky residue. Use alcohol to remove residue. Do not over tighten cover when replacing.

PS I stayed on hold for 30 minutes with DJI. Customer support said it was hard to get the cover off and they had no remedy. I asked if I should send the Phantom back and they said no because there was nothing wrong with it. When I expressed my exasperation that they had no solution other than"sorry...it's hard to get the cover off" the customer service person hung up. I think DJI makes great products, their customer support and professionalism sucks!

15. gringorio

That's great! I was able to take mine off just now using the light squeeze technique mentioned earlier in this thread. Too bad about your DJI customer service experience! I wonder if they'll ever care...

By the way, are you going to place a counter balance on the back of the camera for the heavier ND filter? I've read people have no problems without doing so, but my brother did add a small lead weight to counter balance the heavier ND filter. Not sure if it matters?

16. golden mean media

Just press the rubber sole of a shoe flat against the filter and turn...magic! No inward pressure on the threads. Has worked for my camera lenses for years

17. m0j0

It was counter-intuitive but less pressure worked for me. Used a rubber band and relaxed a little came off.

Thanks Guys

18. Slow Polk

Absolutely brilliant. I appreciate all the excellent information on this forum. Thanks Jeff.

19. dmagnus

45.141598 -92.631683 Somewhere on the Apple River
    I just removed mine. It didn't want to come off, but i just grabbed part of a thin power cord for something that was attached to my computer, wrapped it gently around the lens cap and put very slight pressure on it. Came right off. No big deal.
    I had tried numerous times with my fingers - no go.
    I replaced it with a ND4 for the next time I get to fly. Too cold and windy these days...

daveleeds likes this.
  20. daveleeds

Had problems with mine this morning, have read the above and in I go!
    Wish me luck, if you don't hear from me within a few hours send in the Marines.