P3 HDMI Module problems

Reaction score
There I was, feeling smug this morning when my HDMI module arrived. I installed it according to an on line video and fired everything up. I'm using a Lilliput battery powered monitor for field use and the camera view came on line as promised. Only problem, my iPhone screen went dark apart from flight data and controls.

I thought the module was meant to mirror the phone screen not replace it. I've tried a different lightning cable and rebooted everything. Any ideas on what I've done wrong (apart from the smugness - that goes without saying).

It doesn't mirror the phone screen or any screen. It has an OSD overlay to the video output giving you the telemetry data you need to fly without the full app. Unhook your HDMI and go back into the GO App on your phone and look under the HD transmission settings. There's an option there to turn off your phone or tablet screen when connected to an HDMI source.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440486212.860443.jpg
cant see anything here to help [emoji16]

Mr P you are a star [emoji93]
I tried again with the rc and P3 fired up and this time the extra options popped up. Given the uses of the HDMI output I'm surprised that DJI chose to set the default so that the video output shuts down on the rc when the HDMI lead is connected. Still, now that I have set it to display on both screens everything is tickeryboo. Once again, thanks for a very timely and helpful input [emoji122]

Reactions: Digdat0
Anyone know of a cable that goes from mini hdmi to lightening on an ipad air2? Can't seem to find one.

I assume that the need is to stream video from the rc using the HDMI module into a second iPad. I know that the adapter outputs HDMI to a projector etc, but will it allow HDMI input to be viewed, maybe via an app?

I assume that the need is to stream video from the rc using the HDMI module into a second iPad. I know that the adapter outputs HDMI to a projector etc, but will it allow HDMI input to be viewed, maybe via an app?
I don't know for sure but I would guess that the answer is no, it is output only, but I have never tried to input.

Alan

Last edited:
It doesn't mirror the phone screen or any screen. It has an OSD overlay to the video output giving you the telemetry data you need to fly without the full app. Unhook your HDMI and go back into the GO App on your phone and look under the HD transmission settings. There's an option there to turn off your phone or tablet screen when connected to an HDMI source.
Thanks for the info. Priceless!

I tried HDMI module with Accupix Mybud goggles today, it works so good.

It's priced at $199 on eBay with one supplier.

Last edited:
There I was, feeling smug this morning when my HDMI module arrived. I installed it according to an on line video and fired everything up. I'm using a Lilliput battery powered monitor for field use and the camera view came on line as promised. Only problem, my iPhone screen went dark apart from flight data and controls.

I thought the module was meant to mirror the phone screen not replace it. I've tried a different lightning cable and rebooted everything. Any ideas on what I've done wrong (apart from the smugness - that goes without saying).

I had some similar experiences....with a final solution. First: the problem.

I ordered the HDMI module for my Phantom 3 Professional. Following all of the instructions, even with DJI technical on the phone with me, the module did not work. Not video output on USB or HDMI ports. They replaced the module, still did not work. I found out after several different ways of configuring, a procedure that made it work!

1. Using the original USB port, be sure you have the latest DJI Go app, and the latest firmware update installed in the RC and the Phantom.
2. Replace the original with the new board.... DO NOT INSTALL THE CAP YET. You only want to be using the USB connector the first time. Without anything plugged in, turn on the remote. Press C1, C2, C1, C2 buttons on the rear. Power off the RC.
3. Place a MicroSD card in your Phantom with the latest firmware. Power on the Phantom.
4. Plug in your phone or tablet with the DJI Go App on. Power up the RC. It should be asking for a firmware update when you look at the "about" information in the advanced section. If not, press C1, C2, C1, C2, and power cycle.
5. When you see the "firmware update required", complete the update and power off the RC.
6. Now, install the cap with the HDMI port. Power up the RC and you should have USB video.
7. Go into the "HD" display section and turn on "simultaneous HDMI display".
8. Plug in your HDMI cable and you should have simultaneous display on both your USB (phone or tablet) and your goggles or other HDMI display.

I am using the Headplay and the display is fantastic! As I am an older person (60+), I find the default 7" focal point of the Headplay difficult to focus. I highly recommend the RHO Lens (www.rho-lens.com) which moves the focal point to 16".... makes the display crystal clear!

Who told you to follow C1, C2......procedure?

Who told you to follow C1, C2......procedure?
I was told by a DJI Technician. It is also shown in their instructions (but not in such detail) on their website. The file is too large for me to attach, but you can view it at http://www.dji.com/support/product/phantom-3-pro. It is the very last Tutorial Video about "How to install HDMI output module..." and shows pressing the C1,C2,C1,C2 buttons to “confirm the HDMI board has been successfully installed”. Apparently, it also provides either an initialization or reset function. Still unknown, but it worked when nothing else did.

I popped in my HDMI module and it worked after configuring the settings in the GO app. I am on firmware 1.06... I'll bet you were on a much lower firmware. No need to upgrade past 1.6

I installed the hdmi adapater and it does not seem to be working properly. When using the usb port, I get various error messages, primarily update firmware (but I usually get this anyway), then it goes quickly from "ready to fly gps mode" to "ready to fly non-gps mode", to no signal. When using the hdmi port on headplays, i get a signal, but number of satellites bounces around. I am on app - 2.5.0, rc - 1.4.3, ac - 1.4.1. This is my second hdmi board. All works well with the original usb port. So my question is if there are minimum firmware versions this will work on? I don't really want to go higher because while I fly safe, i'm not really fond of the geofencing. Everything i've seen on this board and others seems to indicate my versions are within limits. thanks

All, I upgraded my app to the latest version 3.x and everything seems to work fine. rc and ac versions not upgraded from 1.4.3 and 1.4.1 respectively.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic