P3 GPS Insulation Material

Reaction score
What exactly is the gray insulating material under the GPS? Yes, I know what it does (EMI shielding), what I'm asking is does anyone know what the material/manufacturer/part number/etc. is?

DJI does not seem to sell it as a part. Or do they? I don't see it on any DJI or third party catalog.

I'd like to purchase either the DJI part, or the equivalent shielding material. I don't care so much if it has the adhesive like the DJI part, I can find a way to attach it if I can get the equivalent shielding material.

Thanks!

What exactly is the gray insulating material under the GPS? Yes, I know what it does (EMI shielding), what I'm asking is does anyone know what the material/manufacturer/part number/etc. is?

DJI does not seem to sell it as a part. Or do they? I don't see it on any DJI or third party catalog.

I'd like to purchase either the DJI part, or the equivalent shielding material. I don't care so much if it has the adhesive like the DJI part, I can find a way to attach it if I can get the equivalent shielding material.

Thanks!
You seem to be doing an interesting job, will you tell us more about your plans to use EMI material in P3?

Replying to both @john47 and @alokbhargava ...

I'm repairing my P3A after an encounter with a tree limb and the subsequent 25 foot drop to the ground that damaged the shell, requiring a shell swap.

While I have it apart, I'm custom painting it and doing a couple of minor mods, like a front landing light.

The GPS unit is mounted on the top half of the shell. It is covered by shielding material that is attached with adhesive backing. See the photo below that shows the inside top half of the shell with the GPS still mounted and the shielding material still stuck over top of it.

When I remove the GPS from the old shell, I will need to peel off the shielding material, move the GPS electronics, and then stick the shielding back in place in the new shell. From what I've read, the shielding should peel off without damaging it and should retain enough adhesive that it will stick in the new shell fine. If possible, I'd also like to modify the way the shielding is applied so future shell disassembly doesn't need to peel it off and back on (at some point the adhesive will stop sticking, although I don't plan on crashing it that much).

I'm trying to plan ahead and hedge my bets in case I need to replace the shielding. I'd prefer to get genuine DJI shielding, but they don't seem to sell that part. Maybe it's included in the full GPS replacement kit, but that's too pricey to get just for the shielding. If I can't get the DJI part, I'm sure it's just some relatively standard EMI shielding stuff, but I don't know how to identify exactly what it is.

That's what I'm up to... :)

Cheers,
Paul

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4