P3 flying backwards at distance after update

Reaction score
I updated to the DJI GO app and updated the firmware and took the bird out for a spin. Everything seems to be fine. I'm flying over a town lake and get to about 1900' away and take the bird up to 400' trying to get some video of the lake. Then I started with forward stick to bring the bird back toward my location but it was moving away from me. Perplexed I checked the orientation on the map and it shows it pointing toward me but forward stick is moving it away from me. Didn't know what to do so I returned to home.

I'm in stick mode 2 which shouldn't matter because flying it out to the location was working fine. I checked the flight log and for sure I was doing forward stick with it pointed toward me but it was moving away.

What the heck is going on?

Now that is a great question! I will be watching for the answer:D-- I would be perplexed too!

That would do it for sure. IOC
Ok wait.. what is the home lock switch exactly? I was trying to make sure the home point was set so maybe I did do something. Is it the little lock symbol in map mode? And how would I know if that was set??

Ok wait.. what is the home lock switch exactly? I was trying to make sure the home point was set so maybe I did do something. Is it the little lock symbol in map mode? And how would I know if that was set??
Currently, there are no Point of Interest or H-lock in Phantom 3. For now, Phantom 3 has only Course-lock.-- only IOC which moves the craft in the direction of the stick movement, regardless of its heading. I believe the lock on the map locks the map to north-- don't ever use it, so I am not sure. Check the app and see if you have multiple flight modes enabled, it you don and you had the mode switch all the way to the left, then you were probably in Course Lock

Course lock is often confusing to the novice. This would be worse if you didn't realize it was active ;)
The description above is not completely accurate.
When in CL, moving the right stick forward will move the quad in the direction the nose was pointing at warm-up/take-off regardless of the quads orientation or present heading.
Thusly the right stick Back, Left, and Right will be relative to the stored heading as well.

Note: The CL heading can be reset or reassigned in flight if you wish a different heading than the one saved prior.

I updated to the DJI GO app and updated the firmware and took the bird out for a spin. Everything seems to be fine. I'm flying over a town lake and get to about 1900' away and take the bird up to 400' trying to get some video of the lake. Then I started with forward stick to bring the bird back toward my location but it was moving away from me. Perplexed I checked the orientation on the map and it shows it pointing toward me but forward stick is moving it away from me. Didn't know what to do so I returned to home.

I'm in stick mode 2 which shouldn't matter because flying it out to the location was working fine. I checked the flight log and for sure I was doing forward stick with it pointed toward me but it was moving away.

What the heck is going on?
Two explanations, one is IOS like mentioned and the other is bad tablet compass or when for example your tablet is near a car. This will lead to wrong map headings of the little phantom symbol. I always have this, the little red triangle shows in the opposite direction of the real heading.

hi dronebow
i thing the last update its very bad,yesterday after the last update,the fly mode was 2,when im flying alone change to mode 1,and i cant landing and he go directly to the wall
**** firmware update

Reactions: Dronebow
Two explanations, one is IOS like mentioned and the other is bad tablet compass or when for example your tablet is near a car. This will lead to wrong map headings of the little phantom symbol. I always have this, the little red triangle shows in the opposite direction of the real heading.
On the switch it's in P mode so I do not think I could have accidentally had this on home lock.

Compass on the iOS had the forward and backward setting correctly when I started. It was only at the end of the flight about 2000' away that the orientation changed. I need to do some more testing but you may be right that the firmware is to blame. I was probably 15' from any car and there should have been no interference of any kind.

hi dronebow
i thing the last update its very bad,yesterday after the last update,the fly mode was 2,when im flying alone change to mode 1,and i cant landing and he go directly to the wall
**** firmware update
You 'may' be right..

One other thing I just remembered that could have also been a factor. There was another pilot with a P2 not far from me. Do not know if 2 RC controllers in the same area would cause a mix up but that is one thing I did not mention.

Course lock is often confusing to the novice. This would be worse if you didn't realize it was active ;)
The description above is not completely accurate.
When in CL, moving the right stick forward will move the quad in the direction the nose was pointing at warm-up/take-off regardless of the quads orientation or present heading.
Thusly the right stick Back, Left, and Right will be relative to the stored heading as well.

Note: The CL heading can be reset or reassigned in flight if you wish a different heading than the one saved prior.
According to the user manual though the CL mode is only available if the switch is in F mode. So unless I accidentally switched to F then accidentally switched back to P, which I doubt, I don't think this is what happened.

In the flight log, is there a way to tell what mode it was in?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

On the switch it's in P mode so I do not think I could have accidentally had this on home lock.

Compass on the iOS had the forward and backward setting correctly when I started. It was only at the end of the flight about 2000' away that the orientation changed. I need to do some more testing but you may be right that the firmware is to blame. I was probably 15' from any car and there should have been no interference of any kind.
Yes that is what happens all the time with my ipad compass, it goes nuts at the end of my flights. But this only counts for the radar view, not for the map view. Both have red triangles symbolizing your phantom in it but the map view never failed, i assume it uses the compass of the Phantom and the radar needs the ipad compass as well.

Yes that is what happens all the time with my ipad compass, it goes nuts at the end of my flights. But this only counts for the radar view, not for the map view. Both have red triangles symbolizing your phantom in it but the map view never failed, i assume it uses the compass of the Phantom and the radar needs the ipad compass as well.
The phantom was flying backwards from the FPV view. The forward motion of the stick should have caused the phantom to fly back toward me but instead it was flying away from me. I really thought at the time that perhaps my orientation of the camera was incorrect but the flight data confirms that it was indeed flying backward.

So is this observation and discussion over the direction of the red arrow vs. the direction the quad moves with Pitch forward? With or without IOC (CL)?

So is this observation and discussion over the direction of the red arrow vs. the direction the quad moves with Pitch forward? With or without IOC (CL)?
Without IOC CL. I did not have the switch in F mode and I did not have CL enabled yet the quad responded as if it was in CL mode. The flight data also confirms what I was seeing in the FPV.

If it were just some accidental push of a button for it to go into CL mode I could see that being the case but the fact that I would have had to flip the switch 2 positions to F and then set a course lock, then after flying it back flip it back to P (I did fly it again testing all the direction orientations after it returned to home), I see no way this was an accidental thing.

The direction of the red arrow is accurate according to the video taken by the quad. What the flight data shows is that forward stick was causing the quad to continue on a CL direction but CL was NOT enabled.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers