P3 Firmware v1.7.0060

I upgraded my P3P, app (on iPad mini2) and RC.

RC asked me to upgrade again...did get that!
Did an IMU calibration. Calibrated compass. Gusty day, phantom was jittery and not very keen to stay put. Responded weird to control input, like, I would slowly bank it left, then applied a bit of right stick but it kept drifting left. Aggressive inputs would respond accordingly.

Brought it down, rolled back to 1.6...still a bit jittery, still not going exactly where I pointed it and drifting sideways, still responding weirdly to control input, but less that with 1,7.

Tried going a couple of times between 1,6 and 1,7 and getting consistent results. Did a couple of IMU calibrations...

I'm not sure if it's the gusty wind messing my flight or the drone itself, but I've flown in harsh wind and it felt much more solid in the air and controllable...

Not sure what to do...1.7 gives me less confidence, 1.6 seems kinda ruined too, and it feels strange to me having the RC and APP up to date and not the drone...

Strange I upgraded mine from 1.6 and have not encountered the same. I did not do a IMU calibration. I dont do IMU calibrations unless it fails the check IMU or the values displayed are out of spec after upgrades. Not a big fan of IMU calibration in my circumstance as it is difficult to find a good spot that is free from disturbance in my area.

I upgraded my P3P, app (on iPad mini2) and RC.

RC asked me to upgrade again...did get that!
Did an IMU calibration. Calibrated compass. Gusty day, phantom was jittery and not very keen to stay put. Responded weird to control input, like, I would slowly bank it left, then applied a bit of right stick but it kept drifting left. Aggressive inputs would respond accordingly.

Brought it down, rolled back to 1.6...still a bit jittery, still not going exactly where I pointed it and drifting sideways, still responding weirdly to control input, but less that with 1,7.

Tried going a couple of times between 1,6 and 1,7 and getting consistent results. Did a couple of IMU calibrations...

I'm not sure if it's the gusty wind messing my flight or the drone itself, but I've flown in harsh wind and it felt much more solid in the air and controllable...

Not sure what to do...1.7 gives me less confidence, 1.6 seems kinda ruined too, and it feels strange to me having the RC and APP up to date and not the drone...
Somewhere along the way dji introduced a problem in windy conditions and using slow flight gentle stick forward/reverse input. It has never been corrected, although I'm on 1.6 and have yet to update. But as you've noticed, faster and harder stick input makes the bird fly straight. I've only noticed this problem in stiffer breeze and windy conditions. I honestly don't think it will ever be corrected. It's been too long now and updates just do not address it. I manage, but it is a drag to deal with. I will not at all be surprised when the P4, with all its compass and imu redundancy, will have its perfect flight hosed with this behavior along the way. They make a perfectly stable bird initially and then through updates, screw more things up than fix. Wish they didn't do that.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you need to leave the bin file on the SD card for batteries to be updated, or does something get stored on the bird that will handle the task?
Just curious.
It's better to leave bin file on ad card if you are not sure if all of your batteries have been upgraded. It does no harm.

P4 stores the battery updates on the bird and thus no need to worry about forgetting battery updates.

Strange I upgraded mine from 1.6 and have not encountered the same. I did not do a IMU calibration. I dont do IMU calibrations unless it fails the check IMU or the values displayed are out of spec after upgrades. Not a big fan of IMU calibration in my circumstance as it is difficult to find a good spot that is free from disturbance in my area.

I agree 100%. I think you introduce problems by doing it every dang time.

I dont do IMU calibrations unless it fails the check IMU or the values displayed are out of spec after upgrades.
Where might I find an example of IMU readings that fall within an acceptable range? I would love to be able to gauge if things seemed out of whack and recalibration was required.

Hello everyone, I asked earlier in this thread and no one replied to my question, I also did a search and couldn't find anything related to it, my question was and is, what does the new update for the controller do?, why the need to upgrade the controller?, just wondering

Where might I find an example of IMU readings that fall within an acceptable range? I would love to be able to gauge if things seemed out of whack and recalibration was required.
Here is a good one from a forum member in this thread.
IMU calibration question
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458883819.135905.jpg

Reactions: UpTo90
Thanks for posting. I think I'm in range. After updating FW, I did IMU calibrations on 2 P3Ps and I guess it's the compass readings that I just don't understand.
5707097dc0bc2a29c3bee19203ee3c2e.jpg
1e6a5d987a7ebecb74a58fa9fc7147cf.jpg
Those xyz compass readings are from the sensors and they generate the mod value, which should be around 1500. Mod value for gyro should be 0.0 and 1.0 for acceleration.

Reactions: ObiDon
FYI latest DJI app 2.7.0 & 2.7.1 no longer shows camera feed when using a Samsung Note 8 running Android 4.4.2 have to go back to DJI app 2.6.0 firmware in bird & controler is the latest but does not show up in the 2,6.0 app. All is fine running latest firmware & using a Samsung Note 3 running Android 4.4.2 Strange. Also found during Firmware update that the controller would only update when connected to an internet enabled device ie the note 3 it would not update via the sd card being connected direct to the controller nor via the usb cable connected to the Gimble, have others had similar problems?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4