I got reamed because I tried to warn people of the 3rd party app issue. See post #8 and all the users responding to that on this thread:
Litchi autonomous flight: lost my bird
I didn't think people could be so rude when we are just trying to help. Apparently autoflightlogic posted updated information in the forum but they didn't send out an updated email. I agree that these waypoint missions are being used wrong, that is why in the DJI Go app they require you to fly the mission first, then it can be saved as a waypoint mission. We all need to be the guardians of our freedoms regarding this hobby/profession. Someone should start a multirotor club similar to the AMA that actually has our best interests in mind.

In every case it has been user error so far? Or lack of checking / precautions

Reactions: JBG
No. Maybe it does on the P2V. It sure doesn't on the P3.
No. Power lines do not cause that kind of result.
Two negatives that don't exist and wouldn't cause this result.
Yes. We have a winner. CFIT.

Hard to say with any level of certainty ... the 2.4 GHz band is pretty busy over urban/residential areas regardless of the RC configuration ... video indicated some anomaly while going over power lines in either direction ... these could be contributing factors, or just side notes, to the final conclusion.

Last edited:
Hard to say with any level of certainty ... the 2.4 GHz band is pretty busy over urban areas regardless of the RC configuration ... video indicated some anomaly while going over power lined in either direction ... these could be contributing factors, or just side notes, to the final conclusion.
The power lines would not have changed the altitude values on the Litchi website. It was clearly operator error. Certainly flying that close to them is not a good idea and could cause issues, they were not a factor in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No. Maybe it does on the P2V. It sure doesn't on the P3.

No. Power lines do not cause that kind of result.

Two negatives that don't exist and wouldn't cause this result.

Yes. We have a winner. CFIT.
Then what was the loss of data signal?

Yeah, the only thing I can't explain is the strange beeping and what seemed to be signal loss since it didn't respond when I tried to climb when it was clearly within range. Guess I won't need to worry about that if I keep my altitude in check next time. :)

Loss of data signal/downlink maybe due to interference / line of sight and loads of trees but there was enough GPS for the flight and thats all that would count.

Does anybody know what would happen if during a waypoint mission it losses GPS then it recovers GPS would the unit still attempt to fly the mission or just hover?

I think we should adjust the headings of the crash posts when we determine the cause. I think it's pretty undisputed that the crash resulted from setting the waypoint to low.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

And since few people are following up on this - don't fly over populated areas. That thing could have landed at the feet of a newspaper reporter and you'd get written up as another irresponsible drone operator. Or worse. You could have landed on a kitten - you'd be viral toast in 30 minutes.

Really you guys, you're going to kill it for everyone by pulling these stupid stunts. Yes, it's convenient to fly out of your backyard. No, it's probably not safe.

Even that annoying Demunseed was doing that in the horrid little videos I saw of his.

Fly away from populated areas. You don't need a huge expanse of wilderness. Think ahead. What happens if the thing crashes?

Hard to say with any level of certainty ... the 2.4 GHz band is pretty busy over urban/residential areas regardless of the RC configuration ... video indicated some anomaly while going over power lines in either direction ... these could be contributing factors, or just side notes, to the final conclusion.

I fly almost 100% urban. Sometimes range is shorter than normal. Sometimes the compass gets a little squirrelly. At no time does anything cause what happened here.

BTW, those aren't power lines. THESE are power lines! :D

power-lines-01.jpg

Yeah man, I hear you. You live and you learn. Will definitely be more careful and not so trusting next time! Thanks for the advice/support!

has nothing to do with trusting or litchi.
its attention to detail ,
computers will do EXACTLY what they are told by the pilot to do!
even crash.

it has to do with something I learned long ago.

Because I can! doesn't mean I should!

good luck and have fun flying!

Reactions: jiggyb21
Yeah, the only thing I can't explain is the strange beeping and what seemed to be signal loss since it didn't respond when I tried to climb when it was clearly within range. Guess I won't need to worry about that if I keep my altitude in check next time. :)

when aircraft is flying an auto mission you need to switch it out of that mode back to p for flight control.

when you are flying an auto mission you are NOT in direct control. it is flying a program you uploaded to aircraft.
it will fly until done, you switch it out of auto flight mode with the switch, or it crashes because of bad program.

check the manual on how to recover out of auto flight mode etc or even all of it !

I think we should adjust the headings of the crash posts when we determine the cause. I think it's pretty undisputed that the crash resulted from setting the waypoint to low.

I agree

bad misleading heading title scares new readers for now good reason

WHEN you fly a waypoint mission on Litchi, the controller not flying the phantom! Transmitter can actually be turned off and the Phantom will finish the mission provided it was programed properly and land at home point if that was chosen.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

All I can say is wow. This is why we are required to register, flights like this right here. It is so fortunate no one was hurt. Why are you flying BLOS missions in an urban neighborhood? Especially when you have documented issues prior to this using a third party app. Very irresponsible on your part... people, houses, cars and high tension power lines were a few of the things you risked. You are using 3rd party apps which has a known RTH problem (all third party apps do until there is a firmware upgrade). I am glad your bird was relatively unharmed but you should really reevaluate your flying locations. This type of flying is why we are all under scrutiny by the public and the FAA. Reserve flights like this to open rural areas or over open water. Please be more responsible with your aircraft.

Please take a look at this link - Know Before You Fly

I am also surprised by the fact no one else here has called you out on this flight. That shows me that either people are afraid to say something or that they don't see the complete disregard for safety. If the latter is true we are in for a world of hurt in this hobby.
I got reamed because I tried to warn people of the 3rd party app issue. See post #8 and all the users responding to that on this thread:
Litchi autonomous flight: lost my bird
I didn't think people could be so rude when we are just trying to help. Apparently autoflightlogic posted updated information in the forum but they didn't send out an updated email. I agree that these waypoint missions are being used wrong, that is why in the DJI Go app they require you to fly the mission first, then it can be saved as a waypoint mission. We all need to be the guardians of our freedoms regarding this hobby/profession. Someone should start a multirotor club similar to the AMA that actually has our best interests in mind.

I was not one of the people reaming you but if I remember the thread right it was because you posted a warning about ALL 3rd party apps not returning to home based on something you were told by Autopilot. Now LuvMyTJ is doing the same thing. I can't speak for all but Litchi is not to be lumped in with the others when talking about its Ground Station missions in regard to the RTH "bug". Litchi uploads the entire mission to the bird before initiating the first command. Only when it has completely loaded the mission successfully will it start the mission. From there you can turn the TX off or press all the buttons you want(except one) and it has no effect on the mission itself. You as the user are soley responsible for planning a mission that is safe and clear of danger. the Phantom does not have a mind of its own. At any point, while in a TX contact you can flip the switch from F to P to hault the mission completely. Once a mission has begun, the bird will fly exactly as it's programed to do even if that means hitting something.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScatSpeak
Yeah man, I hear you. You live and you learn. Will definitely be more careful and not so trusting next time! Thanks for the advice/support!

As far as this case is concerned, Litchi displays, clearly, waypoint by waypoint, elevations that the user has to OK before the mission begins. Another case of someone skipping past pertinent information and essentially blaming others for it. Not so trusting of what.....the app/Phantom to do exactly as you told it to! For future, it's a really good failsafe to check the altitudes(scrolling if necessary) before initiating the mission.

Last edited:
I agree

bad misleading heading title scares new readers for now good reason
I'm not trying to be an ***.. I just think people come here and see a ton of I crashed... No idea why and that is a little misleading. These things are incredible. Perfect.. No.

I was not one of the people reaming you but if I remember the thread right it was because you posted a warning about ALL 3rd party apps not returning to home based on something you were told by Autopilot. Now LuvMyTJ is doing the same thing. I can't speak for all but Litchi is not to be lumped in with the others when talking about its Ground Station missions in regard to the RTH "bug". Litchi uploads the entire mission to the bird before initiating the first command. Only when it has completely loaded the mission successfully will it start the mission. From there you can turn the TX off or press all the buttons you want(except one) and it has no effect on the mission itself. You as the user are soley responsible for planning a mission that is safe and clear of danger. the Phantom does not have a mind of its own. At any point, while in a TX contact you can flip the switch from F to P to hault the mission completely. Once a mission has begun, the bird will fly exactly as it's programed to do even if that means hitting something.
The problem affect ALL third party SDK apps so Litchi is included.

The problem affect ALL third party SDK apps so Litchi is included.
I have nothing but respect for you and your contributions here. You've helped me a lot.
Of course all 3rd party apps are affected equally while flying FPV mode. Litchi, in GS mode, is a different animal entirely. People need to understand that, that's all. I don't think warning someone about a RTH bug in this particular thread has anything to offer but confusion. The reason for this crash has nothing to do with a RTH bug, Litchi or anything else. It was user error, plain and simple.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic