P3 Conversion Kit to Mavic style

I won't EVER pre-order anything. #1.... They ALWAYS take longer than they say they are going to. #2.... Now that you waited all that time, you finally get it and are disappointed. And NOW..... since it's been so long that you made the purchase, the Paypal protection no longer applies. #3.... All the Mavic conversion kits are a gimmick. It's not converting anything. It'll just LOOK sorta kinda like a Mavic. If you want a Mavic, just sell your P3 and get a Mavic. I'm not sure how old you are, but do you remember when the Pontiac Fiero was really popular? They used to sell Ferrari Testarossa conversion kits for that. LOL. Yup. Sort of kind of looked like a Ferrari, but still had the same crappy interior (with 85 mph speedo) and an incredible (sarcasm) 2.5 liter, 90 horsepower engine.

I won't EVER pre-order anything. #1.... They ALWAYS take longer than they say they are going to. #2.... Now that you waited all that time, you finally get it and are disappointed. And NOW..... since it's been so long that you made the purchase, the Paypal protection no longer applies. #3.... All the Mavic conversion kits are a gimmick. It's not converting anything. It'll just LOOK sorta kinda like a Mavic. If you want a Mavic, just sell your P3 and get a Mavic. I'm not sure how old you are, but do you remember when the Pontiac Fiero was really popular? They used to sell Ferrari Testarossa conversion kits for that. LOL. Yup. Sort of kind of looked like a Ferrari, but still had the same crappy interior (with 85 mph speedo) and an incredible (sarcasm) 2.5 liter, 90 horsepower engine.
Yeah, those thoughts crossed my mind. Thanks for the reply. I'm 62 years old and remember. I will pass on this one.

I'd say buy a mavic if that's what you want tho if I had a smashed P3 frame and had to replace it anyways then this might be an option. Interestingly it will be made of alloy not plastic

I like taking my p3 from country to country. This kit means I can fit it in my carry on bag rather than pay to place it in the hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Olsen Petrus
wait until there are some decent reviews one it :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Why I say its *** ... (edited to keep those more sensitive people happy !!)

It will always be a knock-off cheat on the Mavic. Bit like the guys who dress up VW Beetles as Porsche 911 Turbos !

Its not cheap either !!

Nigel

Last edited:
I did this conversion on a Phantom 3 Standard, It took about 1 week to get the Kit and about 5 days to convert working on it after work, I have made some notes to hopefully help others that may want to do this but are hesitant due to lack of instruction. I was impressed with the kit itself you get soldering iron, needle nose pliers, screw driver, solder, flux, shrink tubing and all the cables you will need. There are more than enough screws and you will have plenty left over.

I must say if you are not intermediate to advance with soldering and electronics I would not do this conversion or I would seek help and guidance from someone that is.

You will have to un-solder the motors, LEDs , unplug antennas , GPS and camera so when you are done with disassembly you will have what looks like a mess, I have pictures and might be able to help if you need it.

Hardware:

Screws #1 are for the arms they hold the conversion mechanism in place there are 4 pieces and you will need 2 #1 screws each, you also use #1 to hold the GPS to the top piece 4 each

Screws #2 are for the rubber feet

Screws #3 and #4 are for the motor arms covers #3 are for the outer most and #4 is used on the inner holes of the arms

Screw #5 hold the Body together they will be the last screws you use

Screws #6 are for the Camera mount to the top piece

LED’s

Red to V+

Black to G

Yellow to R

All the leds are wired the same, the Motherboard will make them red or green determined by position on the board.

When solder to the motherboard use:

Red to V+

Black to G

Yellow to R

I took pictures from start to finish so I could see the transformation later when I finished.

6-17-2017

Power up, GPS lock and connection checks

Maiden flight basic hover control I also verified correct direction to stick input

Everything checked out on the first flight no adjustments needed or made

Last edited:
I saw the how to video for the conversion online. It is in Chinese but with English subtitles. I would like to get the kit as the form factor is more convenient. The kits with the tools are supposed to be a limited production run with the tools not being included in future orders. No time table on that.
It looks like a well thought out kit and the cost seems pretty reasonable to me. Other than possibly shipping charges they are selling it on Ali for $49 US or snapgiz for $99 with shipping.

So would you give it a 2 thumbs up?

I saw the how to video for the conversion online. It is in Chinese but with English subtitles. I would like to get the kit as the form factor is more convenient. The kits with the tools are supposed to be a limited production run with the tools not being included in future orders. No time table on that.
It looks like a well thought out kit and the cost seems pretty reasonable to me. Other than possibly shipping charges they are selling it on Ali for $49 US or snapgiz for $99 with shipping.

So would you give it a 2 thumbs up?

Yes

Overall A+ but needs instructions.
I bought mine from snapqiz the offer great support and are fast to reply to any questions
cleardot.gif

I don't think they are intending to release an actual instruction book so I guess the video is all we are going to get.

I like taking my p3 from country to country. This kit means I can fit it in my carry on bag rather than pay to place it in the hold.

Just get the hard shell backpack for it....got a nice one on eBay for like $46....works great for taking as a carry on.

I built mine in approximately 6 hours. I must say that the body is more sturdy than the DJI P3 body and not likely to crack. It's a little heavier but easier to travel with and flies the same as it did before the conversion.
I like it but it's not for everyone because the build gets a little fiddly and needs some soldering too.
Here's a link to a youtube vid of the build:

definitely don't do preorders Paypal has a time limit to file a claim and since no item is exchanged for your cash there is a high chance you wont win a settlement to get your money back this has happened to me twice through paypal I ended up closing the account and had to go through my bank to get my money back with fraud charges filed.

They are in stock in China so not necessary to pre-order. However, if you're buying from a dealer, just make sure they have a good reputation before you pay. They should arrive within a month wherever you order them from so with Paypal you should be safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1