P3 Controller Does Not Charge NVIDIA Shield

Reaction score
I just wanted to warn other P3 owners that the P3 controller does not seem to actually charge connected devices, even though the device may say it is charging. I arrived onsite for a flight today and the NVIDIA Shield tablet was completely dead. So I threw it on my mobile charger for about 10 minutes then immediately connected it to the controller thinking the controller would keep it charged while flying.

Somehow the tablet lasted through the whole video portion of the flight, I was hovering to get a few final pictures and the tablet suddenly died. The P3 fortunately was within my LOS so I just flew it back by hand but 5 minutes earlier it would have been a whole different story.

I had my home point set and it may have worked after the battery hit the low batt threshold but I don't like relying on that. Also for some reason the home point button on the controller did not work at all; pressing it did nothing, will have to research that one further.

The NVIDIA Shield tablet says it is charging while connected to the controller but I think DJI severely limited the output to keep from draining the controller via a connected device. I'm guessing it is a trickle charge at best which is not enough to actually charge anything connected to it.

.. for some reason the home point button on the controller did not work at all; pressing it did nothing, will have to research that one further.
A quick press won't do it. You have to press and hold.
Practise with it under controlled conditions so you can do it when you need it.

A quick press won't do it. You have to press and hold.
Practise with it under controlled conditions so you can do it when you need it.

That's probably what it was, I thought I had RTFM'd the entire manual but apparently I was too confident in not needing to auto RTH since I always fly manually. This is only the second time I have gotten into trouble in the air with the P3 (both times battery related) so it's a little too easy to get complacent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic