Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

P3 Battery refuses to turn on

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Baldo Mero, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Baldo Mero

Hi, I am facing a weird problem with the battery. After flying 2 batteries without issues yesterday, I recharged both as usual. Today one of the batteries won't start the craft and won't turn on by itself.
    With a short press, all 4 leds light up indicating full charge. with short + hold (normal turning on sequence) the 4 leds light up sequentially as usual, but immediately they blink and the button and the furthermost led turn on for 2 seconds and turn off.

nothing that i have tried changes this behaviour, the craft does not turn on and the battery does not respond to connexion with the charger. Trying to cheat the battery by connecting it while pressing the buttons with the leds on does not work either.

This is a rather new battery with approx 10 charges and 100% health, no issues and with latest firm. Is there anything to do before sending it to dji?

2. yojo182

Will it turn on without being inserted into the phantom?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

3. Baldo Mero

No, it won't turn on by itself

4. gklugie

This is an interesting problem. As soon as I read it, I took my p3 battery and tried to put a voltmeter to it.
    I cannot get any reading on my fully charged/functional battery. The main connector slots are deep though and have small contactors on both sides of the charging spade tips. ( Perhaps my voltmeter requires special spade tips to insert into the battery)

Your battery seems to be acting like it is not taking a charge fully or correctly. Perhaps one or more of the cells are damaged or lazy. Is it under warranty?

Another thought: I have read that these smart batteries start to discharge after 10 days. Maybe if you let it sit unmolested for a few weeks, it take accept a charge correctly.

5. Baldo Mero

Thanks for the input. The battery should be under warranty but I hate the idea of sending it off and dealing with shipping, waiting, and fighting with customer service. Furthermore, right now I do not know if the faulty battery was the one included in the retail P3A or an extra unit purchased to another dealer - the boxes do not seem to include the serial numbers of the batts.

I have thought about the waiting for selfdischarge but this also implies weeks without batt and no guaranteed to work. Not happy....

6. John Locke

Buy another battery. You need an extra one anyway. Be happy.

7. Baldo Mero

Already did a couple of weeks ago, waiting for an aftermarket shipped from china. Thought that if trouble came would be from that one....

8. alokbhargava

Try to charge again for few minutes to see if it reverts back to working.

9. Baldo Mero

Unfortunately does not respond. It has remained plugged to the charger for quite a while and nothing changed

10. ddh1313

Anything shorting the terminals?

11. Baldo Mero

What do you mean? direct shorting with a cable? Wouldn't that be ultradangerous & even cause venting of the battery?

12. STAF

Plug your charger to the battery and try to turn the battery on as usual!
    Maybe this will work for you!

13. dirtybum

O.k. But it useless to you rite now!

14. ddh1313

Baldo .. I was thinking more along the lines of the communication terminals on the battery. Those appear much easier to have a foreign object shorting them.

Baldo Mero likes this.
  15. Baldo Mero

Hmmm good idea.... tested but nothing changes

16. psphelan

I have the exact same problem with a battery with 5 charges and shows perfectly on last flight on healthy drones. Won't turn on. Left charging overnight no difference. Tried turning on outside drone lights up for two or three seconds and then goes out. I have contacted DJI 4 times now and eventually have been sent a RMA form but no label to post. It will cost £46 to FedEx to Netherlands so I have contacted them again asking for a delivery label. No response as yet. I have also ordered another new battery I have two others and they are all ok, same charger. Just happened out of the blue.

17. psphelan

I also wondered how safe it is and legal to send a faulty Lipo battery by post as some mail servers say they will not transport Lithium batteries

18. Traveler

You could try holding down the button for an extended period, maybe even plug it in while doing so. Some smart devices use a similar method to force a wipe or reboot. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I would want to use a battery in my toy that quit on me. Wouldn't be worth the risk to the public or your wallet.
    Good luck.

19. Baldo Mero

Did you purchase it to DJI? I have to sort it out with the distributor first, and the problem I find now is that I bought the P3 and an extra battery to different retailers about the same time: now I don't know if the faulty one is the one bundled with P3 or the other one. Is the serial number of the battery displayed somewhere in the P3 box? it isn't in the battery box.

20. psphelan

I bought mine online from DJI. Still waiting for return label.