P3 battery mod test results

Reaction score
So, I got my battery modded by Horizon FPV (V1 mod, see here Phantom 3 Power Mod V1 but the pictures are wrong; all it does is add a cable, like below).

I then used two 1300 mAh 25-50 4S batteries. I left the P3 hovering in the garden, 1 meter high, from 100% down to 10%.

Results are (identical conditions):
Without battery mod: 17:15
With battery mod: 22:07

So the mod adds about 5 minutes flight time.

img_8273-jpg.30643

Last edited:
That's almost a 30% increase which isn't bad. You would think it would be a bit more but you start hitting "diminishing returns" because you're adding significantly more weight to gain the additional mAh of energy.

Just did a real flight with these batteries and hit 23 minutes to 10%. Went all over the place, very high, full speed, braking etc...

So, I got my battery modded by Horizon FPV (V1 mod, see here Phantom 3 Power Mod V1 but the pictures are wrong; all it does is add a cable, like below).

I then used two 1300 mAh 25-50 4S batteries. I left the P3 hovering in the garden, 1 meter high, from 100% down to 10%.

Results are (identical conditions):
Without battery mod: 17:15
With battery mod: 22:07

So the mod adds about 5 minutes flight time.

img_8273-jpg.30643
I have substantially the same modification with same 1300mah batteries. I have experimented with some larger LiHV 1800mah, but in my opinion, the P3A just works too hard lifting these bigger loads. It's piggish with 1800's strapped on. I really think the 1300's are the battery sweet spot. I never take my LIPO batteries to less than about 25% charge, but I would say your tests definately mimic my estimates of 4-5 minutes of extra flight time results with this combo. I have also noted two other very big benefits..... less voltage sag when running or climbing full bore. This reduced sag is because the amp load is distributed across three 4S packs instead of one DJI battery. Also, the battery temps stay a lot lower. This is important to me as I am flying during summer months in the southern US. I am only getting a modest rise above ambient temperatures. So, in addition to improved flight times, I think there is much less stress on the main battery, and definately less risk of a voltage sag....which can cause your craft to land....and in my case thats in the ocean. Do keep an eye on the airframe for cracks. Added weight can't do anything but exacerbate the notorious cracking issues with the P3 Shell....which I have had. Closely inspect for cracks after each flight!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4