P3 Average MTBF? (assuming no crashes)

Reaction score
With an all-in-one ESC board, I'm curious how long these birds will (hopefully) fly before parts need to be replaced just from wearing out. I've read elsewhere that motors usually last 100-150 hrs or so, however, does anyone have hard data about how much time they've put on their quad so far? This is assuming no crashing / no catastrophic shell failures / batteries falling out / etc. I'm curious for someone who essentially does hours of hovering how long components would last between stress / heat / etc.

Reactions: Albert R.
With an all-in-one ESC board, I'm curious how long these birds will (hopefully) fly before parts need to be replaced just from wearing out. I've read elsewhere that motors usually last 100-150 hrs or so, however, does anyone have hard data about how much time they've put on their quad so far? This is assuming no crashing / no catastrophic shell failures / batteries falling out / etc. I'm curious for someone who essentially does hours of hovering how long components would last between stress / heat / etc.
The flight records record the hours-- the motors are running-- so that will be available data-- motors are relatively easy to replace. I had to replace one with no issues. Complete data is still being collected and DJI has access to all this data-- so they should be able to estimate replacement hours.

Excellent question. Currently I am quite happy with the purchase of my P3P but after 30 years of deep involvement in RC, I am still surprised that a thousand dollar plus RC aircraft is so inherently user unserviceable. I understand the pros of integrating the components but everything from the onerous shell clips to the expensive and limited part availability suggests to me that the manufacturer is encouraging you to upgrade to a new aircraft after a certain amount of time.
I am curious to hear what the other fellow Pilots think and see if anyone knows about the projected longevity of the Phantom 3.

Excellent question. Currently I am quite happy with the purchase of my P3P but after 30 years of deep involvement in RC, I am still surprised that a thousand dollar plus RC aircraft is so inherently user unserviceable. I understand the pros of integrating the components but everything from the onerous shell clips to the expensive and limited part availability suggests to me that the manufacturer is encouraging you to upgrade to a new aircraft after a certain amount of time.
I am curious to hear what the other fellow Pilots think and see if anyone knows about the projected longevity of the Phantom 3.
I would bet that P3-V2 will be forthcoming in 2016.:)

Don't know that I have heard of any P3 ESC failures yet. Any out there speak up and how did you get her fixed?

I've always worn out DJI shells before anything else. Even with zero crashes, these shells wear out. Unless one is flying very close in. But fly far and high, alt least on the phantom 3, it will be the shell first.

To be fair the technology is improving so fast upgrades are essential.
Having said that maybe you are right. My phantom 3 is about as perfect a it gets,
Only improvements I would like are

1. Better battery
2. Waterproofing so ok to fly in wet weather
3. Powerful zoom lens

All are possible - but in this price bracket? No chance yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers