P3 altitude record 980m

I don't want to sound like an a-hole, but you really need to rethink the high-altitude flying or find a place very far away from NYC. 15 miles from JFK, above 3,000ft, deep within controlled class B airspace, in one of the most congested air corridors in the country is the kind of thing that can get you on the news. And not in a good way.
Probably wouldn't take much to get a DC like restriction in NYC.

All I can say is we'd better enjoy our hobby while we can. This kind of stuff will kill it really, really quick.

Reactions: isopro
Considering all the concern about accidental mid-flight CSC, having to constantly fight the controlled descent of the RTH yet still try to fly, I have a suspicion we may start to see a lot more "fell from the sky" complaints.... and from those heights, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

"I was flying my Phantom around 3,000 feet, and it simply fell from the sky. No warning. It happened last week, that same day the Southwest Air flight near me had to make an emergency landing because they hit something in the air..."

Reactions: dalebb
i am pretty confident i did it in a safe manner.

For the sake of illustrating why this is dangerous, I am going to be rude for a second. You're fooling yourself. You flew at 3,000ft less than 1 mile away from a known approach corridor into JFK where planes were at or below your altitude. There's simply no way that can be done "in a safe manner".

Note the Delta flight at 3,000ft.

jfk-no-fly.jpg

For the sake of illustrating why this is dangerous, I am going to be rude for a second. You're fooling yourself. You flew at 3,000ft less than 1 mile away from a known approach corridor into JFK where planes were at or below your altitude. There's simply no way that can be done "in a safe manner".

Note the Delta flight at 3,000ft.

jfk-no-fly.jpg

Thank you.

I was prob 100 ft higher but had to find a stable spot to put remote down to take a screen shot.... so we will call it a tie? lol

That is a snap shot of actual traffic in and out of JFK from an hour ago. Goes to show that being in the same place for 30 years does you no good for knowing where the planes fly.

Dude, there are DJI staff that monitor and post on this forum all the time, and you don't think DJI would want to close a possible loophole that could cause some legal liability to them..... Really?

I think if they were sued over their product being flown over 500m that they would use their software as a defense, period. It's then up to someone else to prove that they knew the limit could be defeated and they did nothing about it. It would be _extremely_ difficult to show that they browsed a certain forum and read a certain post. Some companies would do this. I don't see DJI doing it.

I think if they were sued over their product being flown over 500m that they would use their software as a defense, period. It's then up to someone else to prove that they knew the limit could be defeated and they did nothing about it. It would be _extremely_ difficult to show that they browsed a certain forum and read a certain post. Some companies would do this. I don't see DJI doing it.
Well, with a title of "P3 Altitude Record 980M" I would think it would be kind of hard to miss.

DJI will most certainly fix this (and based on the flippant disregard for safety, not a moment too soon).

Reactions: Buzz313th
Yea, i kinda thought about it afterwards. I think they are usually closer to 4000ft, but that is not a usual flight patch, I lived here for 30 years...

If you are truly flying your Phantom within 15 miles of JFK at 3300 feet, you have absolutely no regard for other people other than yourself. Your not in the aircraft putting your life at risk.. Your on the ground ready to hide if something happens..

You are also breaking countless FAR's, federal safety measures and since 911, if caught, could be charged with a federal felony if they can convince a jury you were doing it maliciously with the possible intent of endangering air transport passengers.

At that altitude and distance from JFK, you are well within one of the most densely populated terminal areas in the US airspace system. Most planes at your altitude are at a critical stage in flight... The aircraft cleared for visual approaches are sometimes even lower, depending on how ATC is sequencing them.

Here's some charts to prove it...

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/JFK/IAP/BELMONT+VISUAL+RWY+22L/png/1

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/JFK/IAP/ILS+OR+LOC+RWY+22L/pdf

The first chart is a visual approach.. and the aircraft are expected to join the 068R at 3000' 18 miles out.

The second chart is an ILS approach.. Aircraft are expected to join the DPK 283R at DEER PARK at 3000 feet, which is 22 miles out from JFK, then fly 15 miles at 3000 feet to ROSLY INT to join the localizer for the ILS. Another thing to note, which is really important here.. The little circle in the bottom right corner... That indicates Minimum Safe Altitude within 25 miles of JFK for aircraft. Southeast of the JFK VOR its lower limits is 2800 feet.. Everywhere else, it's 2000 feet. THAT MEANS THAT YOU ARE WELL WITHIN THE AIRSPACE OF JFK, EVEN IF YOUR 25 MILES AWAY. THE PILOTS AND PASSENGERS ARE COUNTING ON THAT AIRSPACE TO BE CLEAR. THE PHANTOM IS TOO SMALL TO BE DETECTED BY ANY COLLISION AVOIDANCE SYSTEMS AND BY RADAR... THAT AIRSPACE IS FOR THE SAFE FLIGHT OF AIRCRAFT.. YOUR DRONE DOES NOT BELONG THERE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. ITS ILEGAL, IT'S UNSAFE, YOU ARE ENDANGERING THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

But.. I personally think your are full of it. I don't believe you for a minute that you flew your drone up to 3300 feet within 15 miles of JFK... You know why I know this???

Because nobody is that stupid and reckless to do something like that.. Let alone post it on a public forum...

Good joke...

:p

Last edited:
Planes fly overhead all the time, but wayyy higher. The ones that come in for a landing are not anywhere near, usually. There is the odd ball here and there, because sometimes they have to divert.... that can happen anywhere, so dont pick on me.
I was on a southwest flight that diverted a few feet from LGA runway because of a plane about to cross it, the pilot decided to give the passengers a tour of the city, he flew right over while banking at a scary low altitude, i would say that was a million times more reckless, if i was on the ground in the city and saw that plane so low and right overhead my heart rate would go up, imagine how the 9/11 victim families would feel if they saw that plane...
I wasn't happy about the whole divert thing. I'm sure you can imagine, your about to land, and suddenly wham, full throttle and pulling up like crazy while shaking, wasn't fun inside the plane either, everyone's heart rate went up for sure. Only reassurance we had was that the pilot was kind enough to let us know what was happening a few minutes later...
All I can say Killer.. ... I hope that nobody truly considers flying that close and that high to any airport without being in contact with ATC.. And if they actually do.. I hope they get caught and I hope they get charged...

The idea that "Drone Owners" can fly wherever they want, however they want, will be the demise of recreational drone use... Mark my words.

I am a current Commercial Pilot and aerial Cinematographer who owns a Phantom.. 99% of all the professional and private pilots I talk to, are completely against allowing the uneducated general public access to aircraft that can easily penetrate the US airspace system.. And many of these pilots are very vocal and lobbying very hard to take the drones away from people who do not hold a pilot certificate.

The Tax Dollars that the drone industry brings in, is not enough to reverse a ban on the recreational use of drones, especially if that ban is caused by an incident or accident that results in injury or death caused by recreational drone use.

Furthermore, the only way you will be able to hold drone liability insurance now, or in the future, is if there is some sort of drone certification that can assure the insurance companies your responsible.

As a drone owner, I would do everything you possibly can, to not give the opposing side any ammo they can use.

Probably the biggest thing you can do, is educate yourself about the National Airspace System and respect it.

Last edited:
Here is a great link and accessible by everyone...
http://skyvector.com/

The airspace open to UAV's is Class G Airspace. It is depicted on the chart and is the largest airspace Classification there is. It has three ceilings.. 700, 1200 and 14500 feet agl.. if you learn how to read the chart, you will be able to find it.

Here you can find current aeronautical charts.. they will show where the airspace starts and ends both in horizontal and vertical limits..

For those of you who have no idea how to read these charts... here's a link that might help.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

For those of you who prefer videos instead of reading..

If there are any questions I can answer, please don't hesitate to ask... Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjmwales and Bugs
Planes fly overhead all the time, but wayyy higher. The ones that come in for a landing are not anywhere near, usually. There is the odd ball here and there, because sometimes they have to divert.... that can happen anywhere, so dont pick on me.
I was on a southwest flight that diverted a few feet from LGA runway because of a plane about to cross it, the pilot decided to give the passengers a tour of the city, he flew right over while banking at a scary low altitude, i would say that was a million times more reckless, if i was on the ground in the city and saw that plane so low and right overhead my heart rate would go up, imagine how the 9/11 victim families would feel if they saw that plane...
I wasn't happy about the whole divert thing. I'm sure you can imagine, your about to land, and suddenly wham, full throttle and pulling up like crazy while shaking, wasn't fun inside the plane either, everyone's heart rate went up for sure. Only reassurance we had was that the pilot was kind enough to let us know what was happening a few minutes later...

The crew executed a go-around & were following a missed approach procedure that was pre-programmed into the flight management computer. I highly doubt there was anything reckless about it, as his livelihood (and life) is on the line. He probably delayed any announcement due to workload.

My personal definition of 'reckless' is flying a remotely piloted device in controlled airspace. One of these UAVs could do some serious damage to a windscreen, a leading edge of a wing, or an engine if ingested. The battery pack is a tiny bomb. It's just not worth the risk.

Ohh, I could do screenshots while flying, totally forgot, it would be nice to be able to record the screen on the iPad...
You can...is called Shou.tv I believe, I use it sometimes .
In app store ;)

I doubt it was pre programmed to fly directly over Manhattan while banking at that altitude.

Buzz, there are 2 AMA fields within 5 miles of JFK, , both are DIRECTLY under the busiest approaches to JFK. I have seen planes fly as low as 500ft there, and rc pilots certainly go above 500ft there as well, so if u think what I did was so terrible, u should go to Floyd Bennett and Marine Park to complain. Every plane will fly directly over the club flying field. There are many fpv videos on YouTube from marine park at high altitudes.

The commercial "pilots" are jerks if they want to restrict our hobby. Without us, there wouldn't be a p3 or 95% of what's available..
Killer...

The Ama has done a great job of policing themselves. 99% of the Ama operators respect the airspace they fly in. The Ama fields are listed on sectional and terminal charts as notations to warn pilots of low flying model aircraft. I have both been informed by tower controllers and informed tower controllers about model aircraft that are flying above their allowed altitude.. They will send the cops over to tell them to knock it off. Nobody gets arrested, because they respect the request.

The ones who do fly above the allowed ceiling shouldn't be an example for you.

Commercial Pilots Are Not Jerks. They are trained to make very good, logically safe and sound decisions. We have been convinced, that a very small handful of drone operators will continue to make bad decisions regardless of advisories. The next step is to regulate the operators and owners of these aircraft.

Killer, you don't get it... We, civil and commercial pilots, have been here much longer than you. We have shared the airspace and respected the rules. We expect you to do the same. If you do, you are more than welcome to use our public airspace..

Right now you can legally and safely fly in Class G Airspace.. The FAA has asked you if you can please stay in G and under 400feet AGL as well, until they can figure out if you are willing to play nice.

I really wish the Drone Community would self police Cavaliers like this and stomp them out like the AMA has done. People like this, are going to force stricter rules and regulations..

Being a drone owner myself and a Comnercial Pilot. I don't want to see overreaching regulations for drones. But if it has to be done, then so be it..

Again.. The drone community has the ball.. What happens, is up to them.

Unfortunately you are incorrect. They can write their software and design their product however they see fit. If you don't like or agree with the design then you don't need to buy it. Also, limits are placed on many things in order for the manufacture to limit their liability. If a person flies into a plane and the people on the plane die, DJI WILL be named in that lawsuit. If they can show they had measures in place and the user bypassed those measures then they have a very good defense. If you feel the need to fly over 1500', buy another product.

Well ya you are correct that they can write there soft ware how ever they see fit. BUT that does not make it right and no if some one were to change a default parameter There would not be any more of a legal liability for dji if one of its users were to do some thing stupid then a car manufacture would if some one drove recklessly or exceeded the speed limit and plowed in to some one and killed them. Or if they were to drink and drive.

By your logic then. Should all cars not be allowed to be sold or made if they can go past the speed limit and should all have built in breathalyzers. and maybe even a built in butt probe in the center of the drivers seat ?

and if its compleatly ok for you that dji can do any thing they want in there soft ware and when they decide they want to be more in bed with big bother or to even be even bigger then big brother and do what steave jobs did with all apple products and took money from the goverment to make it so that all apple devises sky on there users 24/7 and send all the phones see and here to not only the nsa but also to other 3rd party's Then I guess that's ok cause they made the product so they have a right to do any thing they want or write the firm ware any way they want. Even tho the customers were never ever told about any of that and what they were giving up in exchange for having a product built by a maniacal control freak that believed 1984 was not a warning and instead was an instruction manual. Even the goverment more then 10 years ago even said how great these iphone and apple products were because. They will be used to spy on every single person 24 hours a day and they will also be paid for by the very people that are being spied on. and still fools buy there products even now that its known that every word said near on or any thing done in front of its camera lens is all sent to big brother to be saved for if they ever need to black mail someone in the future. as well as all info on it and every single place you ever go is logged and sent to the nsa. It seems people love tyranny esp when its now from corporations and not just goverment tyranny.

In that case u need to complain to the US gov't, who does that all the time all over the world. Not to forget, they also tested atomic bombs on US soil and in Japan and who knows where else... I can probably list a million things the US gov't did and does that is actually reckless, without any repercussions, and no1 cares...

Killer...

After reading this comment of yours and summarizing your attitude, I am now convinced you did actually fly the drone in JFK airspace up to 3300 feet..

I'm considering writing a letter to my local FSDO office to ask what to do to get the point across to some of the Clowns here.

Again, I am asking, maybe begging, that the rest of this community step up and do something to discourage this behavior..

And another note Killer...

If the AMA has their RC planes and Helos fall under the FAA's UAS regulations.. They are gonna resent the hell outa people like you for screwing it up for them after them flying under the radar for so long..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl