P3 Advanced with a 4k Camera

There is hack that changes a NAZA lite to a NAZA2. Everything under the hood is the same.

I'd bet money that the only difference between the P3P and P3A is the firmware on the camera. Firmware on the bird will likely be the same. I'd also bet the camera hardware is identical.

And I'd further bet you could rewire it to take a Zenmuse H4-3D and Hero 4B.

Can I ask, Shaker, how many flights you had with your P3? ...and how was your camera damaged?

4 flights ... was flying it fast .. and crashed it ... was my fault. . I love my P3 .. I took camera off for now .. and still flying it but not as much. Waiting for camera to be released so I can buy it .. but want to know if I should get 4k camera. .just can't find a thread on it

There is hack that changes a NAZA lite to a NAZA2. Everything under the hood is the same.

I'd bet money that the only difference between the P3P and P3A is the firmware on the camera. Firmware on the bird will likely be the same. I'd also bet the camera hardware is identical.

And I'd further bet you could rewire it to take a Zenmuse H4-3D and Hero 4B.

I was hoping that u just up date it with professional firmware and your good to go.. I don't want to hack anything. . It really looks like no one has done it ?

When I started with my P2V+, I took the camera off and learned how to fly first....worked for me. I practiced control from any orientation, what if scenarios, etc...I like flying fast and maneuvering around/through obstacles....

Seems more cost effective to buy another P3 since you get so much more for only a few hundred bucks more...just a thought ...

When I started with my P2V+, I took the camera off and learned how to fly first....worked for me. I practiced control from any orientation, what if scenarios, etc...I like flying fast and maneuvering around/through obstacles....

Seems more cost effective to buy another P3 since you get so much more for only a few hundred bucks more...just a thought ...

Funny thing is ..not a scratch On my P3 .. so deff not going to buy another. .had a couple of stuff that wiped off..u can't tell it went down. . Landed in grass

Funny thing is ..not a scratch On my P3 .. so deff not going to buy another. .had a couple of stuff that wiped off..u can't tell it went down. . Landed in grass
But if the camera is $700 and the P3 (drone, controller, battery, props, charger) is only $900, look how much more you get for $200...keep the battery and sell the rest if you want - makes sense to me....

DJi support on other forums have stated the 4k camera has a chip the 1080p camera does not. They are saying it's a hardware difference.
I tend to believe them but for those that don't have at it.

Is there any more on this subject. .. I trashed my hd camera on my phantom 3 and going to buy a camera soon .. but wanted to know how i
This worked with firmware
Sounds like a perfect candidate to take apart the camera and take photos of the chips/internals if it's broken?

Switching camera is techinacally possible for sure. BUT you need to consider one important thing.
The DJI firmware is monolitic and it contains 4 different firmwares:
1.Camera (DJI starts fw upgrade from this code, it may be an STM32 like chip)
2.Aircraft (this is ARM9 code)
3.RC (I don't know)
4.Battery (seems ARM Cortex-M0 code)
Now P3A and P3P has different camera fw and different fw signature. I've looked inside fw .bin and at a first look, you cannot update firmware because each aircraft expects his own signature (P3X, P3S), unless you hack it. It may be that fw of P3P on a P3A can be flashed and no check is done by installed fw.
The firmware upgrade process starts from camera and not from aircraft directly.
I didn't buy any P3A so I can't test the process.
A volunteer is needed.

But if the camera is $700 and the P3 (drone, controller, battery, props, charger) is only $900, look how much more you get for $200...keep the battery and sell the rest if you want - makes sense to me....

4k camera $539 not $700
1080p camera $450. Not $700.......non of this is close to $1000 ... so I'll be buying a camera

Switching camera is techinacally possible for sure. BUT you need to consider one important thing.
3.RC (I don't know)
Now P3A and P3P has different camera fw and different fw signature. I've looked inside fw .bin and at a first look, you cannot update firmware because each aircraft expects his own signature (P3X, P3S), unless you hack it. It may be that fw of P3P on a P3A can be flashed and no check is done by installed fw.
A volunteer is needed.

Sounds to me I'll be buying a 1080p hd camera after all .. was hoping plug and play..

3.RC (I don't know)
A volunteer is needed.

So if I read that correctly, figure out how to flash the camera with the Pro firmware and boom, your P3 is a Pro.

4k camera $539 not $700
1080p camera $450. Not $700.......non of this is close to $1000 ... so I'll be buying a camera
Shaker, if I were in your shoes (and in a way, I am, since I just purchased a P3 with a broken camera), I would buy a brand new P3, and sell yours for parts. If you sell those parts right now, you may come out ahead, since you have them in stock, and nobody else does right now, you can command a higher price. Don't know why I'm telling you this, because now you'd be competition for me.

The P3A and P3P have identical bodies. The only different is the camera/gimbal unit (which includes the camera processor).

As long as firmware matches (version wise) you can swap a P3A camera unit for a P3P camera unit.

I'd bet good money its just firmware standing in the way, but they wouldn't have done this without being confident that people couldn't get around it (but you never know...). Their cheap and they have taken the cheapest possible methods re supply chain.

The P3A and P3P have identical bodies. The only different is the camera/gimbal unit (which includes the camera processor).

As long as firmware matches (version wise) you can swap a P3A camera unit for a P3P camera unit.

I'd bet good money its just firmware standing in the way, but they wouldn't have done this without being confident that people couldn't get around it (but you never know...). Their cheap and they have taken the cheapest possible methods re supply chain.

If DJI will officially support the camera swap between 4k and HD models (upgrade or replacement)... it means that firmware too must support this feature and P3A that upgrade the 4k camera.
My opinion is that in few month we will get sort of software for PC/MAC to manage firmware on P3 and on Inspire similar to P2V+.

Shaker, if I were in your shoes (and in a way, I am, since I just purchased a P3 with a broken camera), I would buy a brand new P3, and sell yours for parts. If you sell those parts right now, you may come out ahead, since you have them in stock, and nobody else does right now, you can command a higher price. Don't know why I'm telling you this, because now you'd be competition for me.

I will lose money one way or another. . But nothing wrong with my drone ..just going to buy a camera

I don't think there will be a PC/Mac based APP for this... everything will be contain in the mobile app, and hopefully they include OTA firmware upgrades in a future release.

Time will tell ultimately :)

I don't think there will be a PC/Mac based APP for this... everything will be contain in the mobile app, and hopefully they include OTA firmware upgrades in a future release.

Time will tell ultimately :)

Ahah ... oh really, it may be they will go like Parrot with ardrones ...

Eww yuck, I hope not, hahaha. I don't mind everything being app based, I think the only reason they don't have OTA updates via the app is maybe because they don't have a file transfer protocol for lightbridge (it's simply setup to stream video data + telemetry and control).

Well I guess this image proves P3P vs P3A is a bit more than firmware difference...

Probably still firmware driven/same chip, just 4K requires further cooling...

Attachments

• p3avsp3p.jpg
    p3avsp3p.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 7,755

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers