P3 advanced or wait for a p4?

Reaction score
Not sure what to do, debating on upgrading to the p3 advanced or waiting for the p4.
Here's he thing- I have a few batteries for the p3S so that's less money I would need to invest in a newer model.
I also don't see what else could be added to a newer model that would make me upset for not waiting.
Im still newer to flying that the range limitations on the p3s are just starting to be noticed.
Financially I can't get one until the end of the month so, im looking for any input or opinions that could be helpful.

There's always going to be a newer model coming out. And with CES being over, I'm guessing P4 won't be out for a while. On top of that, I doubt the value of the P3 will drop much. Look at the P2 prices.

At some point, you have to take the plunge. Other than longer flight time (which is solved by your extra batteries), what more could you really ask for? Another reason to think a P4 won't be out for a while is the release of the P34K. Why bother with another interim model if your next major version is coming out soon?

Granted, this is coming from someone who bought a P3P last Thursday and it has yet to be flown. Stupid Mother Nature.

Why do you guys were thinking that P4 will be shown on CES? It would be economically stupid for DJI to present now model when P3 is being sold so good.

Well, looking historically, most tech items update revisions once a year. I was moreless asking and trying to formulate a thought process before spending more money than I should again. My standard was bought in october-you know, just before the price went from 700$ to 500$? Would like to avoid that again also; because, I like money and I don't have much of it.

I agree though,there isn't more that I could think of asking for. Hope they don't raise the price back before Feb.:)

Get the Advanced & enjoy flying. No idea when or if the P4 will be released.

Not sure what to do, debating on upgrading to the p3 advanced or waiting for the p4.
Here's he thing- I have a few batteries for the p3S so that's less money I would need to invest in a newer model.
I also don't see what else could be added to a newer model that would make me upset for not waiting.
Im still newer to flying that the range limitations on the p3s are just starting to be noticed.
Financially I can't get one until the end of the month so, im looking for any input or opinions that could be helpful.

The sensible option is to wait until April and see if the newer model is released and compare it against the old model and work out which is better suited to your needs/ value for money.

I agree It's more fun to buy the P3 now.

Reactions: John N Kronyak
Get the Advanced & enjoy flying. No idea when or if the P4 will be released.
I was just about to, and the thought of that new software zone thingy popped back up. Think im gonna take a look at 3dr again. Which sucks because like I said, I love my phantom.

The sensible option is to wait until April and see if the newer model is released and compare it against the old model and work out which is better suited to your needs/ value for money.

I agree It's more fun to buy the P3 now.
Wait, what happens in April? As in, is there an event scheduled??

I agree with Dirty Bird, the Advanced is such a value at the price it is now. I would be more worried about buying the advanced before the sale ends. I know the Standard was "on sale" for $699 for a while after it was introduced when it listed the original price at $799. The price went back up after the holidays for a minute before it plunged down to the $499 price it is now. I don't know if the Advanced price will go up again or if they will phase it out but either way it is a screaming deal right now. I think DJI won't release a "phantom 4" until the sales from the Phantom 3 die down which it seems they haven't even peaked yet.

P4 won't be out till around Christmas time or right after Chinese New Years and with all the new mapping it's not going to be much added except maybe distance and better signal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was just about to, and the thought of that new software zone thingy popped back up. Think im gonna take a look at 3dr again. Which sucks because like I said, I love my phantom.
The "software zone thingy" is not a bad thing. It will allow people who have permission to fly in restricted areas to fly. The way no fly zones have been since the Phantom 2 were troublesome to me. It used to be that if you lost gps for whatever reason and then gained gps again mid flight but you were now in a no fly zone that your phantom would land automatically. Would you rather have that? 3dr solo is a joke, you can't even get good video out of it. For $1800 if you want to wait you could get the Yuneec Typhoon H when it is released.

Last edited:
If you order an Advanced today @ $799 it isn't going to come with the latest firmware. I got mine (P3P & P3A) about 5 weeks ago & they came with 1.3.20 FW. Just install the latest version you are happy with, disable auto-update of the Go App, and you escape the GEO BS.

That depends on where you live. Have you actually looked at the map for areas of the country other than your own? Go read the other thread on this where entire countrys are restricted zones. It is a total nuisance to have to re-authorize yourself every 3 days when you are miles away from anything that makes your little Phantom a realistic danger.

The "software zone thingy" is not a bad thing. It will allow people who have permission to fly in restricted areas to fly. The way no fly zones have been since the Phantom 2 were troublesome to me. It used to be that if you lost gps for whatever reason and then gained gps again mid flight but you were now in a no fly zone that your phantom would land automatically. Would you rather have that? 3dr solo is a joke, you can't even get good video out of it and for a few hundred extra dollars you could buy an inspire 1 (unless of course you already have the Hero 4 Black edition) For $1800 if you want to wait you could get the Yuneec Typhoon H when it is released.

Reactions: Fplvert
Escaping the geo garbage is ideal. They have my entire portion of the state in yellow. It's not any issue other than driving an hour to fly is >insert nsfw rant here< I also don't have the money to drop over a grand on a hobby. Not poormouthing, just being realistic. the advanced was out of my range; which, is why I got the standard. So to see it in my range is what has me hopping :)

Last edited:
If you order an Advanced today @ $799 it isn't going to come with the latest firmware. I got mine (P3P & P3A) about 5 weeks ago & they came with 1.3.20 FW. Just install the latest version you are happy with, disable auto-update of the Go App, and you escape the GEO BS.

just asking, as you've recently bought a P3A, did it come with the new motors, (flat top star shape, and with the newer shell) I've been reading about last month?

Both my P3P & P3A were purchased from DJI directly during their Black Friday Sale. Both are the "A" versions with the new motors.

just asking, as you've recently bought a P3A, did it come with the new motors, (flat top star shape, and with the newer shell) I've been reading about last month?

P4 won't be out till around Christmas time or right after Chinese New Years and with all the new mapping it's not going to be much added except maybe distance and better signal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I don't think they will be adding more range, if anything it will be better batteries and some other upgrades but I highly doubt with all the negative attention "Drones" are getting that DJI would fuel the fire with more range. Battery upgrades would make sense as well so that they could sell more batteries since the P3 batteries would not be compatible. This is my Phantom 4 upgrades features prediction list:

Upgraded batteries
Camera compatibility with Osmo (like the Inspire)
1080p Video Downlink Resolution
Faster Max Bitrate of Video Storage
Better Camera Sensor with more megapixels for photos
Maybe, just maybe an onboard parachute or at least options for adding one like dedicated buttons and a spot for mounting on the Phantom.
Greater GPS accuracy

With all the kinks DJI has had to iron out of the Phantom 3 design I don't think there will be major changes to the mechanical or electronic aspect of the quadcopter. I don't think they would mess with the mainboard or motors.

Reactions: stulpin300m
Both my P3P & P3A were purchased from DJI directly during their Black Friday Sale. Both are the "A" versions with the new motors.

thanks, I won't be getting my 3A until I get back to the UK in May so hopefully all old stock/motors/shell will be gone by then

If I order from dji, am I guaranteed the newest? And what is the normal wait time and shipping cost ordering direct? The local dealer is oos

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers