P3 advanced - need suggestion for purchase

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a happy owner since 14 months of a Phantom 2 2nd version (sorry for my lower class property :D).
I saw the presentation of the phantom 3 advanced version and I'm quite tempted to buy it. However I have a few questions for those who already own one since at least 3/4 months.

1) What happened to the ESC? If a motor has problems normally you would change also the ESC. What would you do in this case?
2) I noticed that on the wiring from motor to mainboard it's covered with some white stuff. Is that a special glue or silicon? I managed to change a motor and esc myself on the phantom 2, and believe me, I'm a terrible solder, nonetheless it seemed to hold well and I got the job done without damage. However it would be perfect to add that white stuff, and I would feel more comfortable.
3) Any other negative aspects I should know about this 3 advanced version?

1) What happened to the ESC? If a motor has problems normally you would change also the ESC. What would you do in this case?
2) I noticed that on the wiring from motor to mainboard it's covered with some white stuff. Is that a special glue or silicon? I managed to change a motor and esc myself on the phantom 2, and believe me, I'm a terrible solder, nonetheless it seemed to hold well and I got the job done without damage. However it would be perfect to add that white stuff, and I would feel more comfortable.
3) Any other negative aspects I should know about this 3 advanced version?
1. If there was a problem, you'd need to replace the whole mainboard.
BUT They are using much more robust ESCs in the P3 and the need to replace them is very rare.
2. No idea ... you just don't get reports of users needing to replace motors or ESCs.
3. No downside that I can think of.
The Advanced is 10 x better than the P2 it replaced in so many ways.
Find someone with one and give it a try. They sell themselves to anyone trying them out.

Reactions: rene van der meer
1. If there was a problem, you'd need to replace the whole mainboard.
BUT They are using much more robust ESCs in the P3 and the need to replace them is very rare.
2. No idea ... you just don't get reports of users needing to replace motors or ESCs.
3. No downside that I can think of.
The Advanced is 10 x better than the P2 it replaced in so many ways.
Find someone with one and give it a try. They sell themselves to anyone trying them out.

The P3A is a great drone. I have one since september 2015 and love it.
Repairing yourself and opening it will likely void the warranty.If there are technical problems, simply contact DJI and they will help you out.
Djphantom2015, why did you decide for the P3A and not the P3P?
I agree with Meta4. Simply try a P3A or P3P (they fly the same) and you'll probably regret waiting so long to buy one ;)

I had one with a bad motor. I replaced the motor with very little effort. Instead of soldering on the main board, I cut the wires and soldered them together with shrink tubing over the solder connection. Works great. I have a P3 pro but they are the same bird with a different camera.

The P3A is a great drone. I have one since september 2015 and love it.
Repairing yourself and opening it will likely void the warranty.If there are technical problems, simply contact DJI and they will help you out.
Djphantom2015, why did you decide for the P3A and not the P3P?
I agree with Meta4. Simply try a P3A or P3P (they fly the same) and you'll probably regret waiting so long to buy one ;)
I more interested in the range then on the 4K. Also I think the price difference is too high.
Can I use the Black pearl 801 monitor to view the flight as I already have it??

I love mine P3A. Try BH photo for any open box or very good used ones as well. They are quite reputable and have some good deals if you can catch them. Looks like they have about 5 options on advanced.
Used | B&H Photo Video

+1

bought 6 phantoms now from B&H over a year or so.
Each has been from the used department, P1, P2, P2plus, P3A, P3P, P3S

received all in like new condition and all worked liked new.
I have sold or still own all but the p3a.
The p3a had the beginning of body crack after a few weeks near motor and B&H returned without question.

good luck and have fun flying

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl