P3 advance production halt!

I look at the P vs the A this way : I'll get the A and when it crashes (they all do eventually) I ll buy the 4k setup for $700(or whatever it is).

No worries, you'll be able to do both of those things in future updates.

I know, I know... when???

No dates set yet
But...
"The Future Is Now"

At least that's what there saying

See the chart above. Demonstrates my point exactly. For example you need to sit closer than 5ft from a 50" 4k TV to have same benefit as sitting 7.5 ft away from a 1080 screen. Who sits closer than 5 feet from a TV? 1080 is every bit as good from normal viewing distances. Don't fall into the trap of believing the hype when that hype comes from someone who wants to sell you something!

You think you're camera is delivering 1080P but in reality the camera is resolving only 650-750 lines of vertical resolution. 4K/UHD downscaled to FHD becomes perfect 1080P with a whole lot more color and luminance information to work with in post production, that means much better color fidelity while grading the image. For those of us who use that information it's extremely practical for the $260 premium being charged. I'm not saying the Advanced is crap, it outputs a very nice picture compared to the last gen camera but the "4K hype" comments are way off base and are obviously coming from someone who's just flying casual and thinks the rest of the world should do the same.

Reactions: Goat Song
The best advantage of 4K source in a 2K viewing world is that I can crop and zoom in editing without losing quality.

Reactions: Adam Kontras
I do have a 4k 55" monitor I use for editing video, but I have no desire at this time to upgrade the TV to 4K. That said, if you are doing video, the 4K has 4 times more color data and will result in a much better 1080P video when played at 1080P or compressed down in post processing. 4K is harder to work with, but the quality of the finished video, even at 1080P is definitely better. Reference the video above for why 4K video at 1080P has better color data than 1080P video at 1080P.

If you are just doing still pictures, they are probably identical.
I don't think 4k with the phantom has 4 times more color data... Where did you read this? I would probably say 1080p would hold more data per pixel than 4K, as there are only 2million pixels as opposed to 8million, so the 60mbps data rate would be given to fewer pixels resulting in more info for each pixel? Higher resolution means nothing without the data rate behind it, or 8bit, 10bit color 4:2:0, 4:2:2.

Absolutely no need for 4k camera. A totally over hyped technology that you can't begin to appreciate unless you have a massive 60in plus tv
GBojGWD.jpg

Rke6KYi.jpg

No worries, you'll be able to do both of those things in future updates.

I know, I know... when???

No dates set yet

You are kidding me right ?

What do you mean no SDK and no Live Stream ?

This wasn't stated anywhere !

My advanced shipped yesterday and had I known this I would have gotten the pro, for sure !!

I didn't make this point.

I said it [SDK, LS] will be forthcoming.

Absolutely no need for 4k camera. A totally over hyped technology that you can't begin to appreciate unless you have a massive 60in plus tv
60 inch is massive? My current 65 disagrees and my viewing distance is about 12 feet. I'm going to shoot for 75 inch next year and it will be 4k, so I'll already have a camera filming for it.

I got a P3P and I don't have a 4k monitor. I just figure that having the ability to shoot 4k will future-proof this thing for an extra couple of years.

I don't think 4k with the phantom has 4 times more color data... Where did you read this? I would probably say 1080p would hold more data per pixel than 4K, as there are only 2million pixels as opposed to 8million, so the 60mbps data rate would be given to fewer pixels resulting in more info for each pixel? Higher resolution means nothing without the data rate behind it, or 8bit, 10bit color 4:2:0, 4:2:2.

Watch the referenced video again,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

1080 and 4K are both recorded at 4:2:0, but 4K displayed at 1080 is at 4:4:4, which is 4 times the color data.

1080 is not recorded at 60mbps. 4K 30fps is recorded at 60mbps. 1080 60fps is recorded at 40mbps. I do not have any P3P recorded at 1080 30fps that I can check and verify the data rate on. My P2V+ recorded 1080 30fps at 15mbps, but that is an apples to oranges comparison.

Reactions: Tron_X
See the chart above. Demonstrates my point exactly. For example you need to sit closer than 5ft from a 50" 4k TV to have same benefit as sitting 7.5 ft away from a 1080 screen. Who sits closer than 5 feet from a TV? 1080 is every bit as good from normal viewing distances. Don't fall into the trap of believing the hype when that hype comes from someone who wants to sell you something!

You can zoom the video you capture and retain quality deeper into the zoom with 4K than 1080p. Taking video from hundreds of feet up, a little post editing zoom comes in handy. 1080p... you get what you get. Try zooming that and the image quickly becomes unintelligible.

Reactions: ctp
If you have a machine which can transcode or the sd cards which can accept the capacity or the software which can transcode and play it smoothly with a 4k monitor, cost of pro should be of no issue for you but if you don't have either one of those and you care about great quality video supported everywhere, then get the advanced

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers