P3 a step backwards from P2?

The P3 firmware update procedure is about the same as the camera update on the P2V.

Actually its almost exactly the very same thing But with out any reports or any one bricking any thing yet whats so ever.

I have had one or more of almost every phantom made so far and for the life of me I cant even try to find any thing about the p3 that is in any way shape or form a step backwards.

The biggest problem I have had so far was when I could not get one of the camera settings to work yesterday I had to turn off my tablet and turn it back on and then that on setting that was not working right for taking a 5shot group of bracketed photos that was only taking 3 at a time. and then it worked. Not any thing I can even hardly say was any big whoop.

Yep, a little cumbersome. Being familiar with a P1, P2nv, P3pro and several GoPro cameras, any form of updating can be difficult the first time. Especially if you haven't heard the "tones" the P3 and controller make as they are updating and have a successful update.

The two may share a similar body style but it pretty quickly ends there. I was surprised by the update method as well but quickly learned it was a snap to do. It took about 6 minutes on mine and was pretty easy to confirm when it was done by simply listening to the beeps. For $1300 US this is an amazing piece of technology that might have a few flaws none of which outweigh the outstanding performance and range. Maybe just go out and fly yours to see what you "like" about it you might find you forget about those "little" things you don't.
Totally agree

If you don't connect to a PC, how do you download firmware and write it to an SD card? I couldn't agree more with the original post that states the new process is a big step backwards.

I don't think its a big issue doing the firmware update this way as firmware updates aren't that frequent. But you can see the advantages by no longer connecting to a PC.

Reactions: hot dog
It sucks that people will gripe about everything. I have the P3P and its incredible. Its 100x better than the P2, no doubt. I LOVE MY P3!!!!!!

Totally agree - the people who have bought the P3 have done so because they love the hobby. I don't view the firmware process as a step backwards - it's just different.

My impression is the bird is far more accurate, powerful, fast and awesome... I still have my P2 and the only thing that's better on it right now is I have 2 batteries for it. :) But that will be fixed as soon as they start selling extra batteries.

I just don't see why people have to complain about anything that's new.... if you don't like it.. spend your money elsewhere

If you don't connect to a PC, how do you download firmware and write it to an SD card? I couldn't agree more with the original post that states the new process is a big step backwards.
Insert the SD into the computer.... You don't connect the P3 to the computer for firmware updates.

Insert the SD into the computer.... You don't connect the P3 to the computer for firmware updates.
Or take it 1 step further... download it to your phone, put the phone in USB mode, and plug it right into your bird....

I have been wanting to get a drone for some time and I'm wondering if I should get a Phantom 2 or 3. I was planning on getting the 3 until I saw on Amazon a huge price drop on the 2. You can buy it for $499.00 Is the 3 worth the difference? http://amzn.to/1SIP0T5

I have had a P2 vision (original version, non plus) for over a year and have to say it has mostly been a flawless flying machine. Never crashed and apart from some frequent FPV disconnects needing a reboot haven't had any other issues.

I've been contemplating upgrading to the P3 but despite all the new tech on it something struck me as a very significant step backwards....upgrading the Firmware. On the P2 it was amazingly easy and super user friendly. Plug in your micro USB directly into the copter, it would check the versions and would automatically update itself in SECONDS. You also could control a huge amount of settings from the
P2 desktop assistant software,look at battery stats etc.

Now on the P3 from what I'm reading and watching on videos the process is ludicrous. Go to the website, download the correct firmware (1st opportunity for error) , copy to SD Card, follow instructions, rename files on sd cards, wait up to 20-30 MINUTES (!!) read text files the phantom creates on the sd card to confirm successful upgrade, watch the lights and listen for characteristic beeping tones, reattach SD card to computer delete files, return SD Card to copter etc etc....

This seems a a giant leap backwards as far as ease of use and accuracy goes...what gives? If DJI is so keen for users to be running the latest firmware why the hell are they running such an archaic upgrade system?

I find it pretty simple. Copy a file onto an sd card and turn on the phantom and let It do its thing. I also think just about everything is better on the p3, especially with things like being able to adjust expo, flight parameters, gimbal roll etc straight from the app on the field.

Speaking of the app, it too is loads better than vision in my opinion. the flight characteristics of the p3 feel more smooth and precise, and even more powerful tho I believe it uses the same motors as the p2 v3 but with the lightbridge flight controller. the video quality is miles better. Even the gimbal seems more stable. The range is better, the fpv is vastly superior, as is the lag if you have a decent tablet or smartphone. I love that everything can be done without a computer. I haven't even touched my p2v+ v3 since receiving my p3. It's like 100 steps forward over the p2 imo

Last edited:
Reactions: Daptone
The P3 is five steps forward and one step back from the P2 :p

They should be including OTA firmware updates in future Pilot App releases hopefully (I can not see why they wouldn't).

Reactions: Daptone
Eliminating cables or wires from the update eliminates a potential point of failure. Having a update over wifi has a big chance that if the connection is lost, the quad becomes bricked. Same with updating over USB, but not as likely a problem. I sort of like this way. Just my .02.
That is incorrect.
The drone cannot become a brick over wifi. The update does not happen during the transfer. It happens after the transfer. First the data is transferred. Once transfer is done, a checksum is compared for authenticity and correctness of firmware, only then a command to upgrade is initiated. This is a fail safe process. By the way, I didn't invent it, this is how all BIOS are updated in computers...it is not over wifi, but still, the chance of incorrect/incomplete data is the same.

So bottom line again, anyone from DJI reading these threads?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues