P3 a step backwards from P2?

You are basing it without even having flown one and on upgrading firmware experience alone?
Yup. I have no idea how this all works.
My P3 is 4K. Means it has 4 x 1000 kvm motors. 3K means you have 3 x 1000 kvm motors and so on.

I prefer the new method of firmware update to the old way. It's so simple. No cords just my SD card and USB adapter. And not to mention that the P3 itself is a leaps and bounds improvement over the P2V+.

Here is an idea for dji:
The app already knows to identify when there is a new version on the site, as it knows to alert you to upgrade it. So what the app should do is download the firmware and send it to the quad. Check the transfer was done and then send a command to the quad to update.

Here you go: a process, that does not require anything else. And better yet: instead of asking to read a text file to know the results, have the result be displayed on the app.

Want better? Have the drone update the app on progress. Show a progress bar instead of annoying beeps that don't give any indication how long is remaining in the process.

I was thinking the same thing. Then I tried to transfer some files from the quad over the RC connection...it was pretty slow. Personally, I'd much rather download the file and put it on the sd than wait for the Pilot app to transfer it to the bird. It would be a nice feature to have though, for sure.

I think in the future the updates will be managed by the smartphone like the gopro, dji is already developing the p3.

It is amazing how people are not open to criticism, or are just looking to criticize...

The original poster is correct: the firmware upgrade process is cumbersome. Does it make the p3 worse than p2? No.
But could it be better? Absolutely!

Here is an idea for dji:
The app already knows to identify when there is a new version on the site, as it knows to alert you to upgrade it. So what the app should do is download the firmware and send it to the quad. Check the transfer was done and then send a command to the quad to update.

Here you go: a process, that does not require anything else. And better yet: instead of asking to read a text file to know the results, have the result be displayed on the app.

Want better? Have the drone update the app on progress. Show a progress bar instead of annoying beeps that don't give any indication how long is remaining in the process.

Bottom line: the upgrade could be made MUCH simpler. DJI, are you listening?

Eliminating cables or wires from the update eliminates a potential point of failure. Having a update over wifi has a big chance that if the connection is lost, the quad becomes bricked. Same with updating over USB, but not as likely a problem. I sort of like this way. Just my .02.

Sounds like OP needs a new hobby if he can't handle updating firmware. Maybe he should try knitting or get into quilts.

Reactions: bbfpv
Sounds like OP needs a new hobby if he can't handle updating firmware. Maybe he should try knitting or get into quilts.

Geez you can't post a thread in the forum before Trolls like above come out after they've drank their DJI cool aid to criticize. Typical adolescent behavior.

I've owned and flown quads for enough years to know them well. I don't and never had had problems updating their firmware. What I'm trying to explain, and the smarter people in this thread have actually understood it and commented as such, is that in the potential desire of DJI to maybe remove the PC from the equation they have gone backwards on the P3 in the ease and simplicity of upgrading firmware. We may be able to do it easily BUT these quads are now being marketed to and purchased by complete beginners. Reading text files created post upgrade on an SD card to confirm a successful upgrade is NOT what your average beginner is expecting...they've grown up in an era of their iPhones saying there is an "there is an update, do you want to install it?" and all they have to do is click "YES"..... The P2 upgrade process really was that easy..you plugged it in, a pop up automatically started the upgrade, showed progress and showed a "success" at the end.

The P3 is far superior in virtually every way...EXCEPT in the upgrade process and to me it has gone backwards. Yes there is no PC but this would be MUCH MUCH better if the upgrade process was controlled from the app.

The firmware upgrade process is very simple, but even if it was difficult to do, it's an irrelevant factor when comparing the P2 and P3, of course, in my opinion...

Maybe the OP should change the title - P3 firmware update a step backwards? Maybe that might help the cool aid drinking trolls from posting negative comments

If it took 20-30mins to update the firmware as you stated, then the user did something wrong. It takes most abled people about 5 mins to do the entire process. A monkey could do it. I didn't feel it was "archaic" at all and definitely does not take away from what an superior machine this is to the p2.

If it took 20-30mins to update the firmware as you stated, then the user did something wrong. It takes most abled people about 5 mins to do the entire process. A monkey could do it. I didn't feel it was "archaic" at all and definitely does not take away from what an superior machine this is to the p2.
As mentioned before I like the new way better than the P2 but, you never know when a major firmware update comes out that could take that long it's quite possible.

I also agree that through the pilot app would be best but I see the limitations of that and am not a fan of wireless updates nor do I know if the P3 has the capacity to cache an install prior to update.

Oh well gives us hope that something better may be coming.

It takes more than 5 minutes pal. And I didn't do anything wrong. I'm not a monkey but IT Director for Machinima. Perhaps you can't tell time.

I upgraded the firmware as soon as my P3P arrived to 1.1.9. It took 21 minutes measured and worked perfectly. No issues. Could it be simpler? Sure, but I wouldn't trade it for a P2 any version. The current version also doesn't have HL mode implemented or waypoint programming but no one's complaining about those. The P3 is a gigantic step forward - more than I expected for sure. Lots of this stuff can be fixed or implemented in future firmware upgrades anyway.

Maybe it needs to be made even "more" difficult. Even if just to keep out the knuckleheads who fly over, then into, crowds of people. ;)

If it takes MoorMothan 15 mins you may be a caveman and should see a doctor
It takes more than 5 minutes pal. And I didn't do anything wrong. I'm not a monkey but IT Director for Machinima. Perhaps you can't tell time.
Ok the part the monkey needs to do takes 5 mins. I know some pretty patient monkeys that can then wait another 15 mins if need be. They don't even direct anything.

DJI also did this because many P2 users would simply plug the new phantom into the PC and assume the Phantom assist app would automagically connect. There are dozens of threads where other users couldn't connect to the PC because they didn't read the manual and download the correct driver from the DJI site.

The problem with the P3 is the assumed knowledge - DJI assumed everyone knew what "root" directory meant. A Linux user wouldn't have any problems, but every day Joe-blow may.. Has anyone here unzipped a file and it made a directory when you didn't want it to or unzipped it and it didn't make a directory and you ended up finding where all the files went???

Anyways, what DJI should have implemented a speech system (save weight) or some sort of basic LCD screen to show progression. The DDDD or D__D means crap to most of us.

Reactions: Daptone
This would be a great an informative thread, if ya'll would quit slamming the OP. :)

I've read some really good ideas here. Too bad I had to wear my boots to wade through the BS.

Reactions: saltire

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj