P3 4K Pulling/Drifting to Right

Reaction score
As the title says. I noticed while flying this morning that my bird was slightly pulling/drifting to the right while going forward at full speed (P-Mode). I haven't noticed this in the past, and was wondering if any of you have experienced this. I would assume an IMU calibration + compass calibration would be the first step at resolving. Thoughts/opinions appreciated!

Wind perhaps?

I've noticed some flight irregularities at times and the need to make corrections. Usually drifting down a bit in hover and I don't trust the displayed altitude readings in Go 3 either. Sometimes the horizon tilts when turning 90 degrees and flying at a good clip so I have to use manual tilt correction. I don't know if the wind blows the gimbal a bit, or a rapid yaw causes it. I do find it interesting that some DJI cameras are round though and not a box like the P4 so maybe some of the design causes it as well as any stiffness change the the ribbon cable too.

Dunno, so just fly the thing and enjoy it. No doubt if you have multiple units, they'll all behave a little differently much like a vehicle in a company fleet of the same make and model do.

Sounds like a compass calibration problem. Make sure you calibrate your compass in an open area with no metal buildings or objects anywhere nearby. That includes keys in your pocket, your belt buckle, etc.

Reactions: dirkclod
I don't see it as a compass problem.
Just because you maintain a constant heading of 89 degrees doesn't mean you are flying due east.

Most of my flights I fly straight for extended distances.
Rarely can I aim for a distant building and have the bird fly straight there.
I almost always have to compensate for wind drift.
The wind at ground level may be zero.
But you don't know what's going on at 100 feet.

One thing I do on occasion is to fly up to cruise altitude and switch to atti mode.
That will show you the wind direction and speed.

Reactions: DannyBhoy
Sounds like a compass calibration problem. Make sure you calibrate your compass in an open area with no metal buildings or objects anywhere nearby. That includes keys in your pocket, your belt buckle, etc.
This may be a bit of a stupid question, but how do keys in your pocket and a belt buckle affect compass calibration? Given that to calibrate you're having to activate the setting and follow the instructions on your phone/tablet display, a phone that is a chunk of metal and an electro-magnetic source or at least I assume it is.
What is the definition of "anywhere nearby"?

Reactions: Philltayl
This may be a bit of a stupid question, but how do keys in your pocket and a belt buckle affect compass calibration? Given that to calibrate you're having to activate the setting and follow the instructions on your phone/tablet display, a phone that is a chunk of metal and an electro-magnetic source or at least I assume it is.
What is the definition of "anywhere nearby"?

It is because you are flying north and the earth is turning underneath it.........hence the drift to the right........:)

It is because you are flying north and the earth is turning underneath it.........hence the drift to the right........:)
Must admit that drift is something I accept, I convince myself its me being less than exact with me sticks. This morning I was flying east bizarrely, explains my higher speed than normal with earth turning o_O

Must admit that drift is something I accept, I convince myself its me being less than exact with me sticks. This morning I was flying east bizarrely, explains my higher speed than normal with earth turning o_O

and that Crispy is why it takes less time to fly from the UK to Australia than it does to fly back........:) That is if you count the wind at 40, 000ft

The Earth's rotation is invisible and can't influence the speed and timing of flights, because of the principle of relativity. Weather could affect times due to the Coriolis effect.

on a more helpful note, does it always pull/drift to the right? the P3 is pretty much symmetrical so if it drifts to the right when flying forward but not when sideways/backwards then maybe it is 1 of the props that is not quite right. Just a thought ??

It's just something I read on these forums about metallic objects (yes, keys and belt buckles) affecting compass calibration, and compass calibration affecting direction of flight. Probably means nothing though.

It's just something I read on these forums about metallic objects (yes, keys and belt buckles) affecting compass calibration, and compass calibration affecting direction of flight. Probably means nothing though.
DJI specifically says this about that...

• DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is any possibility of strong magnetic interference. Sources of potential interference include magnetite, parking structures, and subterranean metal structures.
  • DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones.
  • DO NOT calibrate in direct proximity to large metal objects.
  • DO NOT calibrate indoors.

Reactions: Great_Lakes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan