P2V+ vs. TALI H500

Koz

Reaction score
Has anyone flown both of these aircraft and have any opinions or insights that they want to share?

I have a P2V+ and I'm underwhelmed with its camera. I want to add a second aircraft with a GoPro Hero3+ Black. My first thought was to purchase a P2 with the 3D gimbal and add an FPV system and the mini iOSD. I also looked at the Flamewheel 450 and 550 but was unimpressed with their flight times. Sure, they carry more payload but I'm only using the camera and FPV. It's not like I'm transporting dogs or small children :)

I looked at the P2 packages on B&H and Helipal and compared those to piecing together my own system. Needless to say I got a bit of brain cramp looking at all of the options. So then I started looking at the H500 with the GoPro Kit (http://www.iuasinc.com/products/tali-h5 ... o-kit.html and http://dynohobby.com/walkera-tali-h500- ... it-carbon/).

At this point I think the TALI offers more than the P2, but it is fresh out of the box and a bit unproven. "Real" user reviews are hard to find. Everything I read about it sounds like a corporate promo. Plus, from what I understand their version of Ground Station is not available yet (although that's not a deal breaker for me).

With all of that being said, do any of you have some real world comparisons that you can provide? I like my P2V+, but it does seem more of a toy than what I am looking for from an aerial platform. Then again I want to spend $2k or less and not $10k for an octocopter. Any insights would be appreciated.

Tali just got a firmware update that enables their groundstation... also smooths out the flight quite a bit... haven't got a firm recommendation because I haven't flown the Tali yet but I'm in the same boat as you and I'm gonna do it... pretty soon here but I have a few more little fun mods to do with the Phantom first.

Join the Facebook Walkera Tali H500 owners group and listen in for all the news from real. You don't have to be an owner of course.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

There is no gimbel of the quality of the Zenmuse. There are however 3 axis gimbels including one for the Sony RX100 coming soon.

Ive done both. Pv2+ is a much easier quad to fly. Tali is a more sophisticated quad. The controls are more difficult, the camera filming is more professional. If I become real good at flying my pv2+ ill graduate to the tali. Dji has a better customer service now (jeeez I cant believe I would ever say that). Parts are yet to be seen as dji and walkera both lag in the repair parts dept.

dkeshish said:
Ive done both. Pv2+ is a much easier quad to fly. Tali is a more sophisticated quad. The controls are more difficult, the camera filming is more professional. If I become real good at flying my pv2+ ill graduate to the tali. Dji has a better customer service now (jeeez I cant believe I would ever say that). Parts are yet to be seen as dji and walkera both lag in the repair parts dept.

I beg to differ with the "camera filming is more professional" part. every single video I have seen of the tali shakes like nobody's business..

tizzl10 said:
dkeshish said:

I beg to differ with the "camera filming is more professional" part. every single video I have seen of the tali shakes like nobody's business..
I should clarify. Thats a gimbal issue. Not camera. The quality of the camera the opportunity to change it out with a gopro the object round flight which allows you to get a 360 camera view of an object...

dkeshish said:
tizzl10 said:
dkeshish said:

I should clarify. Thats a gimbal issue. Not camera. The quality of the camera the opportunity to change it out with a gopro the object round flight which allows you to get a 360 camera view of an object...

I agree..the camera looks great..that gimbal, though. I was trying to justify the price and that gimbal just does not make the cut, so I couldn't pull the trigger on this one.

I've been listening in on both rcgroups thread and the Facebook group. My impression is it has some way to go. Build quality is poor - many screws not tight. Even with the new firmware it has a way to go. The platform is potentially better for photography but a good gimbel is yet to appear imo. One of the guys who knows what he is talking about on the FB group is working with Walkera so overall it has some maturing to do. Most certainly not a first buyers multirotor.

I have owned a number of 4 ch. helis and 6 ch. cp helis from walkera and although they all flew like a dream, they couldn't withstand a light impact on crash. The flight characteristics of the the Tali are probably better than the plus and you probably will have better head speed too but I really can say Im impressed with the durability, userability, and technology they put behind the plus. I mildly clipped a tree from 20 ft up on wednesday and the quad fell and smashed into the ground, amazingly NOTHING BROKE!!! It acted like a spring board when it hit, it bounced! Im telling you now the plastic is much more durable from dji than walkera. I did alot of research on both and alot of people are completely destroying the shell upon impact at low speeds on their TALI. Before you get all proud and lifted up thinking 'Well, Im not going to crash anyways' I can assure you your wrong, no matter how advanced you think you are eventually you will have an accident...

IrishSights said:
Build quality is poor - many screws not tight. Even with the new firmware it has a way to go. The platform is potentially better for photography but a good gimbel is yet to appear imo.

I've been doing a lot of reading as well and I agree that from what I have read the TALI is not as refined or "mature" as the P2 lineup. I did see that Walkera updated the firmware and unlocked the Mission Planner the other day so hopefully there will be updated feedback within the week.

I'm not worried that it's more complex to fly. I don't proclaim to be an expert, but I have flown a lot of RC aircraft over the years. I know enough that there will be a learning curve with a new aircraft and I won't fly outside of my comfort zone.

One thing I saw that was very different from the P2 is that with the TALI you take off and land in manual mode. Once you are in the air after liftoff you switch to GPS, and on your GPS descent you switch to manual mode to land. People trying to land in GPS mode were having their aircraft bounce and flip over.

I think I'm going to get the P2 and FPV package with the GoPro. Ultimately I think the TALI has a chance to be better than the P2 lineup, but then again the P3 may be just around the corner.

BTW, I had a bunch of questions about the TALI that I submitted to iUSA and they were very prompt with their responses all day long.

Saw Tali in the store yesterday (it was actually a bricked one, brand new, but the software update had failed and they could not reflash it). Transmitter is fancy, lot of stuff in it. Ability to use lipos in the transmitter is a nice feature. And, what I understood, you can plug the goggles directly to the transmitter (seller was not sure, if telemetry data is delivered as well). For me the build quality looked fine.

Major downside for me was the odd feature that you must decide before take- off if you want to take stills or video. Ie, there´s a switch in the cam which you need to manually toggle.

And, Tali is a bit more pricey than P2V+

So, glad to stick with P2V+

I have been following the progress of the Align M480 (800mm size) that is just coming out now.
Very nice machine but too big for me.
They announced last week that they will bring out two smaller quads in the same series before Christmas.
Sounds like 500-600 and 350-400 size? Prices look good and early reports are of high quality.
Will be watching for reports from early adopters but I suspect this will eat the Tali and give DJI some real competition.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/align.multicopters/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl