P2V+ view of Lake Whitney House Burning on Cliff

While the footage was super repetitive and not interesting I do have one question:

How did you ensure that you were maintaining separation from the helicopter when you tilted the camera down on the house for your repetitive passes?

My altitude... I could easily see my location in reference to everything around me...

BTW... I'm just posting video's of the P2V+ involved in what's news today... I'm not trying to win an oscar...

The guy comes on here and shares his video with everyone and though it may not be perfect no need to beat him. We all are at different experience levels so give the poor guy a break. I appreciate being able to see this from a different perspective so thanks for posting it..

Death From Above said:
While the footage was super repetitive and not interesting I do have one question:

How did you ensure that you were maintaining separation from the helicopter when you tilted the camera down on the house for your repetitive passes?
You have 3 post and come here like some snob hotshot .

Death From Above said:

Because he didn't hit the helicopter... :roll:

Dirty Bird said:
Death From Above said:

Because he didn't hit the helicopter... :roll:

How about also the fact that the heli was such a far distance away and he didn't have the camera pointed away all that long... my God, could this guy have been any more negative about a simple video. I watched it and didn't even see what was so 'repetitive' about it. Nice vid bro!

This being the internet I am not sure civil discourse is possible but I decided to try.
Death From Above has couched a perfectly appropriate, serious question
in an unfortunately snarky post. The intersection of our hobby and Emergency Service Aviation Operations turns RC endeavors from play into potential life and death situations. This question should not be a challenge to your intelligence or manhood, but it is something a responsible hobbyist and presumably adult should be ready to answer.
Be open to the thought that there are things about the world yet to discover and learn from. Just because you can afford and learn to fly a RC ship doesn't mean you are practicing aviation safety.

Situational Awareness (SA) is a term one hears a lot when professionals organize dangerous work, be it military, firefighting, aviation, or law enforcement. It basically means do everything you can to observe, gather intelligence, plan and act on what is going on around you. As a drone operator your SA is severely compromised from the start. You have a severely limited field of view to start with. It is an effort to pan you field of view and you cannot see anything above you, and down viewing is limited, plus your viewing is most likely filtered by a small screen which nobody will claim is an excellent ergonomic tool to operate or view. You have zero avionics communication systems to make your intentions known. You cannot know what other aircraft are planning or whether they are aware you are there. You have no radar or collision avoidance equipment. This house fire was obviously a controlled operation but real uncontrolled fires are magnets for drone hobbyists and this could easily be an uncontrolled incident where you have no idea if there is an airtanker, helitanker, observation plane, Mercy Air flight, police helicopter, news helicopter or lord knows what bearing down on you from your blind side. The aviation world has numerous procedures to avoid mid-air collisions and yet they still happen. More will happen with poor SA.

I know there are no real regulations keeping you from doing this fun and interesting hobby. I am just saying that your answer is not sufficient for those of us who have spent time in the air over incidents. Phantom pilots agonize over flyaways and often go to great lengths to ensure flyabilty and trackabilty of their craft. All I am saying is that a great deal of extra caution should be used around emergency ops. Hubris can kill. You have no dog in this fight other than pieces of plastic and metal. There is real flesh and blood all around you in the air.

naswat said:
The guy comes on here and shares his video with everyone and though it may not be perfect no need to beat him. We all are at different experience levels so give the poor guy a break. I appreciate being able to see this from a different perspective so thanks for posting it..

Well said!! Thanks for making these comments.

I hope no-one was hurt in the fire.
Great video, nice short shots, not repetitive at all.
Pyrodactyl raised some great safety points I think we all need to be aware of. It looks like you used common sense by staying away from the helicopter on the other side of the lake while it was blazing and waited until it was just smoldering before flying close.
I really wish Dji would fix the jerky camera tilt.

didnt like the look of that crack running along the inner side of the cliff ledge !!! :shock:

pyrodactyl said:
This being the internet I am not sure civil discourse is possible but I decided to try.
Death From Above has couched a perfectly appropriate, serious question
in an unfortunately snarky post. The intersection of our hobby and Emergency Service Aviation Operations turns RC endeavors from play into potential life and death situations. This question should not be a challenge to your intelligence or manhood, but it is something a responsible hobbyist and presumably adult should be ready to answer.
Be open to the thought that there are things about the world yet to discover and learn from. Just because you can afford and learn to fly a RC ship doesn't mean you are practicing aviation safety.

Situational Awareness (SA) is a term one hears a lot when professionals organize dangerous work, be it military, firefighting, aviation, or law enforcement. It basically means do everything you can to observe, gather intelligence, plan and act on what is going on around you. As a drone operator your SA is severely compromised from the start. You have a severely limited field of view to start with. It is an effort to pan you field of view and you cannot see anything above you, and down viewing is limited, plus your viewing is most likely filtered by a small screen which nobody will claim is an excellent ergonomic tool to operate or view. You have zero avionics communication systems to make your intentions known. You cannot know what other aircraft are planning or whether they are aware you are there. You have no radar or collision avoidance equipment. This house fire was obviously a controlled operation but real uncontrolled fires are magnets for drone hobbyists and this could easily be an uncontrolled incident where you have no idea if there is an airtanker, helitanker, observation plane, Mercy Air flight, police helicopter, news helicopter or lord knows what bearing down on you from your blind side. The aviation world has numerous procedures to avoid mid-air collisions and yet they still happen. More will happen with poor SA.

I know there are no real regulations keeping you from doing this fun and interesting hobby. I am just saying that your answer is not sufficient for those of us who have spent time in the air over incidents. Phantom pilots agonize over flyaways and often go to great lengths to ensure flyabilty and trackabilty of their craft. All I am saying is that a great deal of extra caution should be used around emergency ops. Hubris can kill. You have no dog in this fight other than pieces of plastic and metal. There is real flesh and blood all around you in the air.

Should we all remain on the ground then, avoiding everything of interest, just to be "extremely" safe?

What if said aircraft slams into a 20 pound Canadian goose?

I can often hear my Phantom from 1000' away. Helicopters, airplanes, air tankers, etc.. make a Hell of a lot more noise than a Phantom, and can be heard, even if unseen, from far greater distances. Were I to see or hear an aircraft in proximity to where I was operating I would, of course, take immediate steps to insure I am out of the way and pose no risk. With an approaching airplane, its relatively easy to determine if your Phantom poses a hazard. Planes tend to fly straight or in long arcs. Helicopters require a bit more caution as its easier for them to alter heading & altitude. There are lots of things sharing the airspace with commercial aircraft. A Phantom here or there, in the hands of a capable pilot, adds little to the risk pool.

During our winter here in the UK, people flew over the flooded areas to get footage for the army to assist local people in the flood relief efforts, so they can and do have a role to play in such situations if help is required. the fact that you can clearly see a bloody great crack along the cliff edge going away from the house to the right would be something to alert the emergency services of as they may not be too aware of it on the ground.

;)

I noticed that large crack too, and I would be seriously assessing my family's safety if I resided in the house next door. Did you notice the giant slab in the water below the original house? I assume that is part of the cliff that collapsed?

Dirty Bird said:
I noticed that large crack too, and I would be seriously assessing my family's safety if I resided in the house next door. Did you notice the giant slab in the water below the original house? I assume that is part of the cliff that collapsed?

Yup it doesnt look too good does it ?? :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic