P2V+ver 3.0 No camera or gimbal movement

Reaction score
Hey folks, I had to replace the shell on my aircraft, well my friend did all the work.. The bird powers up but there is no movement of the gimbal and camera. The vision app connects to the aircraft, I can power up and shut off the motors. I was able outside to do a compass calibration properly. In the app when I try and set RTH altitude, it will not hold. I get no camera view or any gimbal movement whatsoever. I do get the wi-fi extender % of charge, no satelitte count, no battery %. I'm able to slide across the screen from right to left and get a sat view of my area.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the 3 cables from that plug into the gimbal isn't seated properly.
Unplug them all and reseat them firmly. The 4 pin clip cable is notorious for failing and causing 'connection broken' warnings and no FPV and telemetry.

Unplug them all and reseat them firmly. The 4 pin clip cable is notorious for failing and causing 'connection broken' warnings and no FPV and telemetry.
Yeah My friend is coming over Sat Morn to give it a try. I\ll let ya know how it goes Thx Al

Its best to use a bobby pin to make sure they are seated properly, it flexes and wont hurt the wires. try to avoid the wires. also, check the gimbal flexible circuit board, or as some call it ; a "ribbon cable". this is notorious for snapping after an impact ir coming lose from their connectors, if you go to re-seat them, use a Q tip. any tear or rip will cause failure.

this also sounds like the naza cables were not plugged into their correct slots. otherwise read as the phantom controller. when your friend replaced the shell, the gps not coming up may be that he didn't replace or put back, the foil shielding that it goes over, if he did, it may be a good idea to remove the GPS module and check the gps patch antenna (made of porcelain) and make sure its not cracked. if it is it will get no sats what so ever and it will cause it to be grayed out. the good news is, if this is cracked, the antenna itself can be replaced with an infinitely better one for 8 bucks from digikey and some soldering with an iron and a hair dryer to remove the antenna adhesive.

Concerning the battery, these lipos have a nasty tendency to fail if dropped really hard or suffer a bad impact. worst case scenario is to replace it, best case is a firmware reset will fix. you can check the battery with the dji plugged in running the phantom assistant software and navigating to the appropriate tab.

top shell removal : Removing DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Case Top Shell

Improve gps lockon:

check controller wiring:

Hard reset:

Ribbon cables technique and how to work with : Recognizing & Disconnecting Cable Connectors

Last edited by a moderator:
CHecked all three cables re-inserted and still no camera movement on start-up. Maybe I should buy new cables and try that?

take some very detailed pictures of the gimbal cable slots and the cable itself, post them hear and let me evaluate them, make sure you get good close up pics from the gimbal to the phantom as well.

Also, send a screenshot of your firmware info from the dji software if you would please.

CHecked all three cables re-inserted and still no camera movement on start-up. Maybe I should buy new cables and try that?
taking apart the gimbal and running that ribbon cable is a pian in the *** the first time you do it, especially since you have to wind it at the camera connection point itsel in one specific way. its not hard just takes a bunch of patience.

concerning the cables, the grey ones, use a volt meter and set it to continuity, put one lead on one wire end, and another lead on the other end of the same wire and check for continuity on all the wires. you should hear a beep when you do this that confirms it has flow. or a long tone. thats how you check the cables that are grey.

if that passes then its time to change the gimbal cable.

Gimbal cable: $7.24

Amazon.com : Replacement Ribbon Cables to Fix DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus Camera and Gimbal : Camera & Photo

Last edited by a moderator:
Its normal to get a shaker camera after the cable is replaced,seems to have a life of its own.. usually when you have to fix the gimbal its because of a crash. the pots and motor shafts will misalign, the video im posting is for a phantom three, but the gimbals are alomst exactly the same, use the same prinicbles.

this is common to the first time fixers as they overlook where the pots were. and sometimes dont screw the holder screws on the flat side of the shafts. be observent and carful and you will prevail.

Gimbal shake fix:

now unlike the p3, you cant use an app to re calibrate the camera, refer to my earlier post here on doing a hard reset with the dji phantom 2 software and everything will re-align.

EDIT:: for the lazy :)

Its normal to get a shaker camera after the cable is replaced,seems to have a life of its own.. usually when you have to fix the gimbal its because of a crash. the pots and motor shafts will misalign, the video im posting is for a phantom three, but the gimbals are alomst exactly the same, use the same prinicbles.

this is common to the first time fixers as they overlook where the pots were. and sometimes dont screw the holder screws on the flat side of the shafts. be observent and carful and you will prevail.

Gimbal shake fix:

now unlike the p3, you cant use an app to re calibrate the camera, refer to my earlier post here on doing a hard reset with the dji phantom 2 software and everything will re-align.

EDIT:: for the lazy :)

You are Soooo knowledgeable about these. Me on the other hand, just a beginner..My friend should be available in the next 2 weeks. Meanwhile I'm going to order new ribbon cable and the grey wire set,(3). Thanks for taking the time, I will save all of the above , very informative!! Thank you

You are Soooo knowledgeable about these. Me on the other hand, just a beginner..My friend should be available in the next 2 weeks. Meanwhile I'm going to order new ribbon cable and the grey wire set,(3). Thanks for taking the time, I will save all of the above , very informative!! Thank you

Its a good possibilty you just need to update it :) give my above post a try :)

Hey folks, I had to replace the shell on my aircraft, well my friend did all the work.. The bird powers up but there is no movement of the gimbal and camera. The vision app connects to the aircraft, I can power up and shut off the motors. I was able outside to do a compass calibration properly. In the app when I try and set RTH altitude, it will not hold. I get no camera view or any gimbal movement whatsoever. I do get the wi-fi extender % of charge, no satelitte count, no battery %. I'm able to slide across the screen from right to left and get a sat view of my area.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
After reading the other posts, I just have to ask this question; did your friend swap the QR code sticker, on the bottom of the quad body, to your new shell? Keep in mind that the P2V+'s have the wifi module inside the quad body, unlike the P2V eggshell camera. This makes it possible to swap out an infinite number of cameras without having to contact DJI Tech Service for a QR code. I hope he didn't throw out the old shell, but I believe you can get a QR code by using the serial number that is usually on a small thin sticker on the wifi module, but you'll need to remove the shell halves to access it.
Jim

After reading the other posts, I just have to ask this question; did your friend swap the QR code sticker, on the bottom of the quad body, to your new shell? Keep in mind that the P2V+'s have the wifi module inside the quad body, unlike the P2V eggshell camera. This makes it possible to swap out an infinite number of cameras without having to contact DJI Tech Service for a QR code. I hope he didn't throw out the old shell, but I believe you can get a QR code by using the serial number that is usually on a small thin sticker on the wifi module, but you'll need to remove the shell halves to access it.
Jim
No Sir, just the gps and shielding. I do have the lower shell? I'll check with him soon. THANK YOU for that info.

Jim
Hey Jim I finally found the old shell with the QR code. Do I just peel it off and put on the new shell and try to fire it up and see if I get camera and gimbal movement? Thanks for the sticker info, I would have NEVER thought about that!! Al T

Jim

If you have lost the QR barcode or it has faded, try downloading an app called wifi analyser (android). Turn on bird and RE700. The wifi app will then tell you the MAC address of both RE700 and the internal. The weaker on should be the internal wifi module. Record the mac address and print it on the bird. Use the last 6 characters for manual binding.

If you have lost the QR barcode or it has faded, try downloading an app called wifi analyser (android). Turn on bird and RE700. The wifi app will then tell you the MAC address of both RE700 and the internal. The weaker on should be the internal wifi module. Record the mac address and print it on the bird. Use the last 6 characters for manual binding.
Hey Mako, I'm waiting for my friend to have some time to check out the info I have. His time is pretty limited with NAB in town this weekend. Thank You for your help! Al T

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20